• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

V12 Yummmm........ Can it be so?

Man would I love to biamp my big Maggies with this on the top:

You'll probably notice in the specs that there is no rating for THD/IM. Why? Because its rated at OVER 4%!! How then can it sound good?

If the performance of a product does not match its measured specs, then maybe we are measuring the wrong things.

Is this true? Can it be so? How can a product, or line of products, supposedly sound incredible yet measure so badly? I do know for a fact that Dennis Had of Cary does not beleive in using feedback in his designs because he believes it takes away from the overall performance of the unit, and therefore the resultantly high THD specs.

Any thoughts? Based purely on the specs, the techie crowd must say:
    "A piece of crap like that for 4 grand??'
    So what do you think?

Q.
    Q.
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Crimson,

Measurments can be so twisted that anything could sound good on paper. Remember in the seventies when the mass market guys were trying to out do each other with THD providing so much feedback they started sounding like s#!t. If we look at what counts, our ears, few can hear 1% distortion and most of us can just make out 10%. So 4% although high, would be well within pleasant listening for most of us. IMHO as always

Good listening

Robbie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

crimson remember that urls on this forum need to have url] and [/url] placed around them for them to work properly..I fixed the one above for you.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"