• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

What a difference a few feet make!

Hey all,

When I moved into my latest apartment a few years ago and set up my audio gear, I absolutely hated the 'new' sound of my system. The place has wall to wall carpeting and lush curtains on either side of the room. The sound was dead and boring and I quickly moved to headphones for my serious music listening.

Well..... recently I decided to fight back.....and move my speakers around a bit. I moved my my speaker towers a few feet closer together, out into the room a bit, and tweaked the toe in. I also removed the grill from my center channel speaker (because it's lower and closer to the carpet) in hopes that would perk it up a bit and the results have been nothing short of astonishing!!! 8O

Because of the 'dead' aspect of this listening room, there are ZERO standing waves on the bass front and everything just came to life! Deep....rolling bass and extremely wonderful imaging when listening in 2.2 channel stereo. I started listening to 2 channel stereo again when I'm spinning HDCD's because I realized that in order for my Rotel to process this format, it must be in stereo only.

I've said this time and time again but speaker placement is critical when it comes to audio and how your speakers will perform. Small changes produce HUGE results!! Seems when I moved into this apartment I forgot this important aspect of home audio. Lesson re-learned !!:T

Now, much to the chagrin of my neighbors (No complaints yet!!) , I can listen to my audio system again without headphones and it's wonderful!
    Dan Madden :T
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Location, location, location... :>)

Glad the new arrangement has yielded such pleasing results!

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
      Location, location, location... :>)

Glad the new arrangement has yielded such pleasing results!
      EXACTLY !!! Speaker placement is like real estate !!
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Check out the Cardas speaker placement guide on their site for more insight into this topic... and perhaps slightly better positioning than you have even now! :W :B
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"