X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

In some songs my subwoofer has less bass than my B&W 683s

I have a new JL Audio E112 subwoofer.My problem is,in some songs it doesn't give hard-hitting feeling(or loudness) as much as my B&W 683 floorstanders.(though maybe I am feeling wrong) Is it normal?
    I think the bass iI am talking about is not much deep.I wonder if the reason is that my receiver gives less output to my subwoofer,or something like that.

Current settings are:
    crossover:50 hz(on receiver)
    Fronts:Small SW: Yes
    Master level on subwoofer: 0 (it's in the middle)
    Channel level on receiver: Fronts: 0 db Subwoofer: +2db
    Subwoofer is positioned at the corner of the room.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Bump the crossover up to at least 60hz, or even 80hz. 40hz is way to low for 683's..

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Kevin is right. 50hz is too low!

Unless your main speakers have at least an 8 inch woofer(s), I would strongly recommend an 80hz sub crossover.

Another thing you have to realize is that some CD's, BD's and DVD's are recorded bass 'hot' and some have much less bass so your system as a whole will, in some cases sound bass thin. That's the beauty of being able to increase bass and sub bass output via the remote of your amp or AVR while listening.

For example, I find most DVD's recorded in DTS sound bass heavy to me so I usually cool down my subs when listening to those discs.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I'm firmly in the camp of 80hz as a crossover for ALL speakers when a capable sub is part of the system (or higher than 80hz if the speakers are quite small). Two main reasons: sub will free up the speakers to do what they do best (even if a speaker is rated to 30-40hz, that's not what it does best) AND the best placement for imaging is NEVER (barring some vanishingly small exceptions) the best placement for bass response. Separation of the two tasks (sub and speaker) is the best option.

I'll try to dig it out (it will explain it far more thoroughly than I can) but there is an excellent article explaining why ALL speakers in a MCH setup with a sub should have the same crossover frequency, regardless of different capabilities (much of it related to the point about best bass response noted above).

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Ovation has summed it up perfectly!

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
            • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers. I tried 80hz,it caused a subtle change. Then I tried 100hz and I don't know why but it made a bigger difference.
            Last edited by AwArEnEsS; 03 May 2015, 11:43 Sunday.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Excellent article on why (almost always) a single crossover setting is best--along with many more good points. Not the original article to which I referred above, but same authors. Will keep looking for the other.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

And also remember that sub placement (Like speaker placement) is critical and can make a MAJOR difference on performance!!

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Very true. And often overlooked.

Comment

• windshear
                    • Dec 2004

Im willing to bet the problem is room mode response. Your frequency response is not flat via either the subwoofer or the 683's. Your sub , its location and your seating positions is coupling to a different mode as is also happening with the 683 speakers. The peaks and nulls through either method of play back is apparent on some discs more than others as its at those frequencies that bass on that specific disc is evident. Some discs will sound better via the subwoofer and others via the loudspeakers, due to different fundamental bass frequencies on a song by song basis , depending on the type of music. To prove this listen to a song you feel has more bass on the loudspeakers, then move away from your listening position, either going forwards or backwards and note how the bass changes. Do the same for when the subwoofer is playing back. Alternatively place your sub next to one of the 683's so that it roughly has the same room interaction in the bass range as the loudspeaker and listen to it that way to compare the bass. This will show how the modes affect bass, in terms of the bass transducers position and your position relative to it in terms of the room acoustics.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"