X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Flac

Hey people. What's the best program for decompressing flac to WAV or PCM? What's the best format to choose to decompress to?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Whats wrong with FLAC?
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mjb
      Whats wrong with FLAC?
      I second this. Why convert it at all?
      Jason

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

There's a lot of talk about .wavs sounding better than lossless formats like FLAC.

I personally have never found this to be the case....but maybe it's because I just don't hear it or don't have things set up completely properly TO hear the difference...
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
          There's a lot of talk about .wavs sounding better than lossless formats like FLAC.
          I that were true, that WAV sounds better than lossless, then converting an already converted FLAC file to WAV would probably not see those benefits.
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by mjb
            I that were true, that WAV sounds better than lossless, then converting an already converted FLAC file to WAV would probably not see those benefits.
            Concur.

I think EAC can rip straight to WAV, though I've never done it.
            - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Max can convert between the various Lossless formats. FLAC doesn't lose data anymore than a ZIP file of an exec or PDF loses data- once it's extracted, checksums will be identical.

Different players and OS's and hardware may give different results playing the two back, because FLAC requires more work at playback. OTOH, the ideal player will be decoding the full track to memory (RAM) and playing back the PCM from RAM, in which case it should make NO difference whether the source file is WAV or FLAC or AIFF or ALAC. I don't like WAV because it doesn't support any embedded meta data, which makes it a PITA for computer based audio playback or for a dedicated hardware server like an NAD M50 or Aurender S10 or W20. So info like track name, composer, player, album art, all has to be in separate files.

AIFF is closes to WAV but with embedded data- so for systems that don't do well with FLAC or ALAC, AIFF is probably the best choice.

OTOH, my NAD M50 encodes CD RIPS to FLAC, and the playback is very, VERY nice.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Max can convert between the various Lossless formats. FLAC doesn't lose data anymore than a ZIP file of an exec or PDF loses data- once it's extracted, checksums will be identical.

Different players and OS's and hardware may give different results playing the two back, because FLAC requires more work at playback. OTOH, the ideal player will be decoding the full track to memory (RAM) and playing back the PCM from RAM, in which case it should make NO difference whether the source file is WAV or FLAC or AIFF or ALAC. I don't like WAV because it doesn't support any embedded meta data, which makes it a PITA for computer based audio playback or for a dedicated hardware server like an NAD M50 or Aurender S10 or W20. So info like track name, composer, player, album art, all has to be in separate files.

AIFF is closes to WAV but with embedded data- so for systems that don't do well with FLAC or ALAC, AIFF is probably the best choice.

OTOH, my NAD M50 encodes CD RIPS to FLAC, and the playback is very, VERY nice.

Huh????.......who's on second base???
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

I concur with Jon... in my setup I've never found either .wav or .flac sounding much different (if at all). Then again, maybe my system isn't good enough to differentiate...or maybe it's the opposite, my system is so good it can take any limitations there might be and circumvent them.... ha ha

I think it's more just nit-picking on the different formats and in some cases some people's DACs may do better with incoming .wav files than they do with .flac. I think that's all there really is to it. But you know how much people love to argue about 1s and 0s.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

They're bitwise identical as far as what ends up at your computer's output. So long as your computer is newer than 1996 or so it shouldn't be different at all. The only thing that could possibly cause a difference in sound is something hitting your CPU, or some drivers not being set up properly (i.e. causing the FLAC library to use a different driver than whichever one your WAV player is).
                    -Chuck

Comment

• jim1961
                      • Nov 2012

Programs like Izotope RxII dont do flac, so conversion is necessary sometimes.
                      Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Which is where DBPowerAmp shines in it's ripping and converting performance

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by BWLover
                          Hey people. What's the best program for decompressing flac to WAV or PCM? What's the best format to choose to decompress to?
                          I use a program called CUETools to convert files from FLAC to WAV but I'm sure there are dozens of other programs that do an equally good job because you are only "unzipping" the file after all. As long as all the ones and zeros are there and in the right sequence it shouldn't matter.

I agree with Jon that WAV is less than ideal because it doesn't support embedded metadata. However once you've put your first 1000 hours into iTunes (or whatever else you use that doesn't support FLAC) it's hard to switch to an alternative.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"