X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Mini Review of the Wells Akasha amp

The amp in the photo is a Wells Akasha Amplifier review sample that a V good friend brought over a few weeks ago during one of our local group get-together's. A V nice sounding amp. Everyone that heard it came up with the the same description; 'Analog'. Very smooth, with incredible detail & appropriate authority in the low-end. Actually to the point one would not need a subwoofer in many cases. We were amazed an amp could exhibit such iron-fisted control over what are basically mid-range drivers & produce such clean, tight, powerful, realistic & most importantly, musical bass. But with a full range speaker (which we did not have available for comparison), I am not sure that the low end may carry a bit too much weight. Regardless, it was a wonderful sound. One I could easily live with in my own system for many years. I guess I will have to get on another lottery pool at work & just keep hoping for some good fortune!

The photos were taken by a V good friend who previously was distracted from the audio hobby by the advent of digital photography. He is now back in our fold, & carbon fiber tripods & German optics are now being overlooked as NAS servers are installed & images of Focal Utopias dance in his head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05702_bw021_zps3647a083.webp
Views:	59
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	939356

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05702hdr1_zpsb9487c68.webp
Views:	55
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	939357
    Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 14:12 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Pretty amp, sounds like a good one, and it has a meter. All amps should have meters in my opinion ... just like'm
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Nice review!
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
        All amps should have meters......
        Agreed, most definitely.

Originally posted by John Holmes
        Nice review!
        Thank you, John.

One thing that still sticks with me weeks after hearing this amp is the transient response, low down grunt it had.
        My reference amp is 380 watts per channel into 8 ohms, and this puppy flexed its guns like they were Howitzers.
        And the smooth, delicate detail - that sense of 'analog' - was truly seductive.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"