X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcady3430
    • Oct 2012

New to site and DIY projects

I was looking at purchasing a new system and during my research I have stumbled on to DIY projects in building your own speakers. This peaked my interest a lot and I wanted to see if I could get some input from everyone here. I am a technical person and also can work with wood so to take this on does not discourage me at all, in fact my wife said I would make this a new hobby. With that said the system I was looking at buying is listed below, could I get some suggestions on what projects that have been done would be similar or hopefully better then what is listed, thanks for all you help in advance!

Mark

Klipsch System

2 RF-82II Towers
    1 RC-62II Center
    2 RS-52II Surrounds
    1 SW-310 Subwoofer
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

That's really similar to the speaker setup I had before I went DIY. I replaced that setup with lineup maxx's and it was a step up and then went to the Dynamic 4t's which was a big upgrade.

Comment

• mcady3430
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Hdale85
      That's really similar to the speaker setup I had before I went DIY. I replaced that setup with lineup maxx's and it was a step up and then went to the Dynamic 4t's which was a big upgrade.

Thanks, I actually have been eyeing the 4t's and emailed the company to see if they still sale that kit, when I went to their site under products they did not list those. If they still have it would love to pick your brain on your experience building them.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Was on my phone before but wanted to add some more info. I've listened to the NatP's and some TM's with seas tweets and you can't really go wrong with many of the designs here. If you generally like a bright or boomy sound you probably won't like DIY that much as nearly all the designs are made with as flat of a frequency response as possible which is what most here and audiophiles in general prefer.

The NatP's would be a good starting point IMO and you can either build the cabinets or buy pre-made cabinets. In a floor standing config they have very nice bottom end that's tight and detailed, even in the PE MTM cabinet they still would have pretty nice output in the bottom end but not quite on par with the Klipsch towers IMO. The midrange is where you will notice the biggest difference, the NatP's have excellent midrange while the Klipsch do a pretty good job but likely can't touch the NatP's or something similar.

A 2 way design will get your feet wet, there are TONS of examples out there of the NatP's, the build thread is crazy detailed, and it's not super expensive to build them. There are plenty of center channels to go with it as well as TM's that will work great as surrounds.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mcady3430
          Thanks, I actually have been eyeing the 4t's and emailed the company to see if they still sale that kit, when I went to their site under products they did not list those. If they still have it would love to pick your brain on your experience building them.

Jed does still sell them it's just not part of his main business anymore from what I understand. The 4T's are pretty complicated design though and were quite tough to complete. I did get them done and they do sound fantastic but for a first speaker I honestly think something more simple like the NatP's is the way to go and it really is a fantastic sounding speaker and several hundred cheaper then a pair of 4T's at least, maybe even 4 or 500 cheaper.

Also he does have the Dynamic 4T RS version which use Dayton drivers that are a bit cheaper but still an excellent sound from what I'm told. Again though I think a nice simple 2 way is the way to go, I struggled in both of my speaker builds because I chose complicated designs and they ended up taking a lot longer then I had hoped lol.

Comment

• mcady3430
            • Oct 2012

LOL my wife would tell you I like to jump out there with both feet and anything else attached to take something on. Do you by chance have a thread link to go to for the NatP's?

Comment

• mcady3430
              • Oct 2012

Here is another I looked at, any thoughts or knowledge on these?

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Mark
                I suggest, that this thread subject is moved to DIY section Mission Possible and you focus your attention there if DIY is what you want to do. The guys there will be great to offer advice. You may get some advice there, with options that you haven't considered.

You can talk about it here if you want to. But you will get much more involved responses over at MP.

Welcome to the forum Mark.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Manning
                  • Oct 2012

As another new member here, that sounds like good advice. I'm still learning how to navigate through all this, and DIY projects is one of the main reasons I joined.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"