X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

db volume listening levels??

Hi Folks.....just curious?. I was listening to music today with the windows open and I noticed that pedestrians walking by were looking towards my house.......indicating that they could hear my music from the street (roughly 75 yards away)!!. Birds looking towards my house too!!!.

Now....that got me thinking about a possible interesting post on this forum!. When you are sitting down and listening to music, at what volume do you prefer to play it?. To get a little more technical, my SPL meter read in at 89 db at the loudest point of the music (Jazz vocal with horns). This was at a volume level of 60 (hot recorded CD) on my Rotel with all 5 channels driven in 'small' with 2 powered subs. :B

Sound off folks!!. I'm seriously curious!!!. :W
    Dan Madden :T
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I am listening to acoustic jazz at this very moment (Thelonious Monk). It is via internet at 44.1, basically redbook quality, for ambient fill as I check some email and forums. I just pulled out my Radio Shack meter and hit near 70 dB on peak passages, 65 for the majority of the sample time. This is a typical SPL level for me.

If I was doing attentive listening with no distractions, it might get to 75 dB depending on the genre and dynamic range of the recording. Over the weekend while spinning some tunes and getting the ‘mood’ on, I may have hit 85 – 90 with some Daddy Yankee or Fela queued up
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
      I am listening to acoustic jazz at this very moment (Thelonious Monk). It is via internet at 44.1, basically redbook quality, for ambient fill as I check some email and forums. I just pulled out my Radio Shack meter and hit near 70 dB on peak passages, 65 for the majority of the sample time. This is a typical SPL level for me.

If I was doing attentive listening with no distractions, it might get to 75 dB depending on the genre and dynamic range of the recording. Over the weekend while spinning some tunes and getting the ‘mood’ on, I may have hit 85 – 90 with some Daddy Yankee or Fela queued up

Most of the time I listen to music, I'm getting the 'mood' on so I pretty much rock out the tunes!! :T

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Common folks, I was hoping for more feedback than this!!??. This is a cool topic and I'm really curious how all you audio people listen to your music volume wise??

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

I just saw it, and will take some measurements later in the day when people aren't sleeping

I do have to say I used to crank it to plaster cracking levels back when I had a house and my nearest neighbor was 20 yards away. I'm in an apartment now though so I try to be a considerate htguide junkie
          -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
            I just saw it, and will take some measurements later in the day when people aren't sleeping

I do have to say I used to crank it to plaster cracking levels back when I had a house and my nearest neighbor was 20 yards away. I'm in an apartment now though so I try to be a considerate htguide junkie
            Oh ya an apartment changes everything when it comes to audio. If I lived in an apartment, I would seriously invest in excellent earphones and be done with it!!

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Well I know a couple of my neighbors and can tell when they're not home, and even when they are home I can get to a decent level, just not the plaster cracking I used to do in my house. The one part I've had to give up entirely is the sub That'll bug the heck out of anyone in the building.
              -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Looks like around 70-75 at my listening position, and around 65 across the room. Pretty average listening level. I'll have to crank a movie at the full "apartment allowable" volume later and give it a run again.
                -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"