We know that Frequency Response isn't the end all be all... so what else is there?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JRunior
    • Jan 2011

We know that Frequency Response isn't the end all be all... so what else is there?

Hello all,
    I'll be posting this on a few other Audio/DIY forums because I almost always come across the same argument that Frequency Response isn't the only factor when it comes to Speakers/Headphones but I don't have a good knowledge on what else matters.
    For example, let's place three speakers in a Anechoic chamber (Removing room acoustics for sake of discussion) as well as assume that the three speakers chosen will all have a FR of 40hz to 20KHz +/-1.5 db. With these assumptions if I the listener heard all three speakers (Maybe one being the top of the line Genelec Studio monitor, another being lower end KRK speakers monitors and the last being the Orion (a well received DIY speakers) I think most would agree that each would sound different. Where I get confused is that 1.5db is very difficult for humans to distinguish between yet (and I may have this all wrong) the three systems would sound quite different even though the listner is hearing the same frequencies from each speaker... So from my perspective 8hz should sound the same no matter the source. This is where I'm looking for some education. I know there are numerous graphs posted alongside FR graphs and these are what I assume cause a sound difference even though the FR is for the most part identical.
    I tried googling and reading through forums to find the answer yet I'm not finding out nearly as much as I'd hope. How does a speaker produce a flat FR yet contain distortion or other anomalies while maintaining a flat FR?
    If any of you know some good material to read and can link it for further explanation that's just as good as a lengthy post.
    Thanks for your time. I just want to be able to created a great listening environment and am interested in how to accomplish this without using FR as my only guideline.

Joel.
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

How does a speaker produce a flat FR yet contain distortion or other anomalies while maintaining a flat FR?
    For one, the non linear distortion of each speaker is different. When playing back one frequency the speaker produces other harmonic content. This won't show up on FR plot.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JRunior
      Hello all,
      I'll be posting this on a few other Audio/DIY forums because I almost always come across the same argument that Frequency Response isn't the only factor when it comes to Speakers/Headphones but I don't have a good knowledge on what else matters.
      For example, let's place three speakers in a Anechoic chamber (Removing room acoustics for sake of discussion) as well as assume that the three speakers chosen will all have a FR of 40hz to 20KHz +/-1.5 db. With these assumptions if I the listener heard all three speakers (Maybe one being the top of the line Genelec Studio monitor, another being lower end KRK speakers monitors and the last being the Orion (a well received DIY speakers) I think most would agree that each would sound different. Where I get confused is that 1.5db is very difficult for humans to distinguish between yet (and I may have this all wrong) the three systems would sound quite different even though the listner is hearing the same frequencies from each speaker... So from my perspective 8hz should sound the same no matter the source. This is where I'm looking for some education. I know there are numerous graphs posted alongside FR graphs and these are what I assume cause a sound difference even though the FR is for the most part identical.
      I tried googling and reading through forums to find the answer yet I'm not finding out nearly as much as I'd hope. How does a speaker produce a flat FR yet contain distortion or other anomalies while maintaining a flat FR?
      If any of you know some good material to read and can link it for further explanation that's just as good as a lengthy post.
      Thanks for your time. I just want to be able to created a great listening environment and am interested in how to accomplish this without using FR as my only guideline.

Joel.
      Might start here with part 1 http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20110116/5276.pdf

and part 2 http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20110116/5270.pdf

Then scientific pubs http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...20Publications

and white papers http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompa...White%20papers
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

A speaker is almost like a living, breathing organism. The box, and what it's made of (Size as well). The drivers used in the array and their composition all have a huge factor on how it will sound. As well, speakers break in over years and 'mature' in their sound and openness. even if you take 2 identical speakers.....one that was played a lot and the other that was barely used, they are going to sound different. Also, you will NEVER know what a speaker will sound like until you get it in YOUR living environment as room acoustics play a HUGE role in a speakers sound and performance. All good speakers made today have excellent freq range specs but that has nothing to do with how it will sound IMO. Just my 2 cents. I would go into speaker buying from an emotional point of view rather than a spec one. Does the speaker 'move' you?. I've had my speakers for almost 10 years now, have tweeked them to death and they have 'broken in' very well. They 'move' me now everytime I listen to them!.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"