X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armand
    • Nov 2005

CD Player Modification

Hi. I have a Cambridge 640C V2 that I'm considring having modified for better performance. My question is as to whether or not these mods are worth the price. The mod I'm considering includes "dual HexFred power supply, upgraded caps, additional filter and bypass components, Burr-Brown Select op amps and additional vibration damping for $175.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

From what I've seen, most persons who've had similar extensive mods done to their digital players have reported substantial all-round improvements. By the time you total up parts and labor, the price seems like a bargain considering the amount of work involved.

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

The real question should rather be why? Why do it when you you can achieve really good sounding playback from Apple TV, iPods and computers for a really low investment.
      Does not mean that I think a really good CD player does not still have something to offer, but a 99 dollar Apple TV feed with high quality ripped AIFF files will beat the /&&ยค out of any modded cambridge player..

Sorry, just my 2 cents..

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

When I heard the Apple TV, I would compare it to the CA 640c V2.

So basically he's getting better performance for only 175. That's pretty darn good if it does a good bit of difference (for the better).

I was looking at RAM for modification of my 840c, but for the ~$2K, I can't justify the upgrade without hearing it. Can't get them to ship me a modified unit for demo. If they did and it was a huge difference, I'd do it in a heart beat...but without being able to hear... uhmmm no thanks.

I think if the person is willing to upgrade the unit for that price... I'd go for it. I wish I could find a decent upgrade for a more reasonable price (like just paying for parts and a little for labor).

Course my 840c is used as my DAC for my HTPC and PS3 when I use them for music.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

It just so happens that I also have a CA 640 V2, so your post could not be more relevant AFAIC. It actually used to be PewterTA's before he got his 840.

The price seems more than reasonable for the amount of upgrades and labor required to perform the work.

I would greatly appreciate any info you have regarding who is offering the upgrade.

In relative terms, a set of cables could easily cost as much and deliver far less in improved sound quality.

Still, much depends on the engineering and synergy of the mods, along with how revealing the rest of the playback system is when determining just how effective the result is.

As always, JMHO, YMMV
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Armand
            • Nov 2005

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to move forward and sent the player in for modification yesterday to Wayne at Stereorepair.net. He did a great job updating my ARC SP9 MKII which eliminated all the problems with this design including that slightly bleached quality that always plagued this preamp. I'm really glad that I didn't sell it to upgrade to another preamp.

This is Wayne's description of the CD player mod: "The qualities you will find improved are a more open and detailed soundstage, less audible and sub sonic noise, a lack of harshness, especially on cymbal shimmer decay."

He's right. The player is slightly harsh and it gets a little congested on complex material which I'm looking forward to eliminating.

I'll let you know what I think about the mod after it's returned and somewhat broken in.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"