X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

How do you clean your Vynil

Just getting back into LP's. Bought an inexpensive Pro-Ject Debut III. My problem is that I bought a really nice 180gram double LP pressing of AC/DC songs from Ironman2 that sounds great(assuming because they are clean and new). My wife bought a used double LP by Eric Clapton and it is kind of crackly and poppy. I think it is because they need to be cleaned. What do you recommend to clean them?
    "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

There are cleaning kits for vinyl. The one I own has a box-shaped brush that feels like the brush is microfiber. There is also a small spray that I add a small amount to clean one LP. I've been using this small cleaning kit for about 10 years now.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Pio
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
      Just getting back into LP's. Bought an inexpensive Pro-Ject Debut III. My problem is that I bought a really nice 180gram double LP pressing of AC/DC songs from Ironman2 that sounds great(assuming because they are clean and new). My wife bought a used double LP by Eric Clapton and it is kind of crackly and poppy. I think it is because they need to be cleaned. What do you recommend to clean them?
      Its pricey but consider a cleaner like VPIs 16.5 -I've been using it for over a year and it is amazing how good it can make your records sound. Check Music Direct or Audiogon.com for bargains.

The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.

I've used it on my entire collection - records when I was a kid (like the original pressing of Synchronicity) which I thought was toast sound great!
      Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I get a thrill every time I see a post where some one says ‘getting back into LP's’. Welcome home, friend!

My best guess is that what you are experiencing is the difference between a fresh virgin high quality pressing and a used album that was not well cared for, or suffered damage at the hands of a TT that was not in proper adjustment and/or had a heavily worn or damaged stylus.

While no cleaning technique will undo physical damage, my experience is that vacuum cleaning machines are the most effective, but the entry fee is disproportionately high when you are just getting started and have a relatively small number of albums.

When I first took the ‘plunge’ my cleaning equipment was comprised of two Disc Dr brushes, one for use with a cleaning solution and the other for rinsing with distilled water. [On a side note, I still use Aquafina water for rinsing, it is more pure than plain distilled water & the idea is to use a rinse agent that will not leave any residue on your vinyl.] Back on topic, I also made use of mico-fiber towels for drying. They sell them at the auto parts store cuz they won’t scratch expensive custom paint jobs and won’t harm you’re precious 12 inch Black pies. Finally, I still always use a carbon fiber brush both before and after play.

Enjoy the music!
        Last edited by wkhanna; 08 October 2010, 00:25 Friday.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• r100gs
          • May 2005

Can you say "sound stage" ! LP's rock! ;x( :T A good vacum cleaner is a bonus.
          Jay

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

Anybody ever use the Spin-Clean system?

Thank you all for your responses. Admittedly I am fairly frugal so, though I am sure they would work amazingly, the record cleaning machines in the thousands of dollars are out of reach right now. The last local record store that is in the entire area has agreed to clean my LP's with his machine since I keep coming back and buying LP's from him. In the interim has anyone used this "Spin-Clean system? Seems reasonably priced. Here's the link:

The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Anything is better than nothing.

That item is a good & inexpensive starting point. The issue that I see with it is that you have to pour the cleaning solution from & back into a storage container every time you clean LP's. Also, every time it is used, the solution contains more dirt from the previous cleanings.

If you buy some cleaning solution and put it in a high quality spray bottle, each LP is treated with fresh, clean solution. Get a 2nd spray bottle for your rinse and you have the same advantage.

I will again suggest you have a carbon fiber brush for dry cleaning before and after each spin of a previously 'wet' cleaned LP.

AFA vacuum cleaning machines, used ones come up for ~ $200 to $350 regularly and KAB has a no-frills unit that requires you supply a vacuum source (like a small hand-held unit you might use to clean you're car or a V small shop-vac) for ~ $160.

As always, JMHO & YMMV
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

FYI

Used Nitty Gritty 1.0
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hammie
                  • Oct 2005

I also just got back into vinyl (last time was teen years).

I got the Spin Clean Record Cleaner mkii to clean my recent purchases. I'm just waiting for my anti-static record sleeves before I clean them.
                  Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                  Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                  Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                  B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                  Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                  My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                  Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hammie
                    I'm just waiting for my anti-static record sleeves before I clean them.
                    A practice I highly recommend. It only makes sense to put a freshly cleaned used LP into a new sleeve rather the old original that is likely to contain a myriad of dirt, grime and who knows what.
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• twitch54
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Hammie
                      I also just got back into vinyl (last time was teen years).

I got the Spin Clean Record Cleaner mkii[/url] to clean my recent purchases. I'm just waiting for my anti-static record sleeves before I clean them.
                      A good start for sure, now depending how serious and to what level you take your analog journey, I (like others) recomend you save your pennies for a decent vacum based RCM.

FWIW, I use both the Spin Clean (intial cleaning of new Lp's for removal of mold release, etc) and then on to my VPI RCM, followed by a treatment of LAST.
                      Dave

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                        • Oct 2009

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am going to try and score a good vacuum system and order some anti-static sleeves and a carbon fiber brush based on all of your recommendations.
                        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

There are tons of places to get LP paraphernalia so shop around, as pricing can sometimes be significantly different for the same item. I have used Sleeve City (http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml) a few times and been V pleased with both their product and service.
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gimpy
                            • Sep 2004

Unfortunately, I can not afford a machine right now, and really, I always try DIY anyways, if I can/am able.

My cheap cleaning process (found on other websites)(not necessarily easy or quick):

I have bought two plastic-rubber "dent pullers" for about $3 or $4 each. I put one over each side of the record label. This, both protects the label from the water and gives me something to control the record without touching it with my hands. I use one of the 4 inch square pad type paint brushes (a corner type brush-has very short bristles-1/4 inch or so long) to actually clean/"scrub" the record with (circular motion with the grooves). My homemade cleaning mixture is about a 1 to 4 ratio of purified water (.80 to .90 cents/gallon) to isopropyl alcohol (99% pure) with a drop or two of unscented/original Dawn dishwashing detergent added.

I use the kitchen sink "sprayer" to wet/spray loose contaminants off of the record, then add my cleaning solution to actually clean/"scrub" (with the paint brush) both sides of the record (holding the record by one of the dent pullers) and turning it. After cleaning the record this way, I then spray/rinse all of the cleaning fluid off of the record under the kitchen sprayer. I then do a final rinse of the record by using a hand sprayer filled with "purified" water.

I shake off all the excess water, then blot the record by laying it on a clean, dry soft cloth. I then use the microfiber towels and actually wipe in a circular motion the remaining water off of the record. I then put the record into a "fingered" storage holder to completely air dry.

After 30 to 60 minutes or so of air drying, I then put it in a new plastic sleeve (purchased from Sleevetown).

This is my process that I use for every record I buy used (all my records, but one, have been purchased used/given to me). The whole process takes about 5 minutes per record, so it does get quite labor intensive (I can only do this for about an hour and a half to two hours--15 to 20 records before I tire out). I have about 400 records or so now, and have only done this process to about a quarter or a third of them. I have tried to talk the boss/wife into letting me buy an rcm, but she has put the nix to it. I have also been thinking about trying to make my own diy rcm (with a vacuum) but I have too many other projects that need to be done first, so that is a long way off.

This process really cleans the records, but I still do get some popping/crackling, but not near what they were before.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"