X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wasabichondro
    • Sep 2009

2 subs better than 1 question.

Run a JL fathom f112 with a RSW-10 Klipsch or just run the JL alone?

Let me explain. I am currently using a Klipsch RSW-10. It has a passive radiator system and is the weakest link in my set up I beleive. I want a better quality sub for music. I bought the Klipsch about 7 years ago, and it was mostly for playing movies in a less refined 5.1 setup than I have now. Since then I have upgraded everything but the sub.

I know the allot of these question end up with the typical answer.
    Buy the JL and listen to them and trust my ears, but I wanted to know if this was a more straight forward answer.

I gut reaction is the JL would be a better sub let it do all the work since it certainly can handle it.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Two f112's, yes. An f112 and an entirely different sub, no.

Two identical subs present their own issues, two different subs would be a nightmare.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jbreezy5
      • May 2009

I like the notion of two matched subs for stereo listening more than one sub.

However, I'd go with your gut on this one. The Klipsch is not likely to be on par w/the JL; if nothing else, it undoubtedly sounds different. Also, take into consideration room size/treatments; guaranteed a room w/no bass traps sounds bad w/one sub, even worse with two subs. If your room is untreated for bass you'll never no how good bass can be. If the room is small bass accuracy is even harder to attain and the problem is exacerbated w/an extra sub.

An affordable first attempt at treating the room for bass would be to purchase the square foam corner bass traps. Without breaking the bank even these will make a noticeable difference. :T

-JBreezy-

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Multiple subs can even out the in-room response and increase output. It's best if the subs have matched performance characteristics

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Using multiple subs is the way to go in any room. I can evenly cover all listening positions better with 2 or more subs then with 1.
          Now if you listen by yourself, then 1 good sub will do. It will require proper placement and setup.

Mixing subs as said already can be tuff but it's not out of the question. Sometimes 2 different subs work very well. I have 3 subs in my system , 2 are the same and one is different. I get excellent coverage.

Comment

• EssiB
            • Oct 2009

The best bet would be a Cardioid-Sub-Woofer in any room, as they have a better room mode excitment behaviour as any other known system.

Regards EssiB.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

The simplest explanation about multiple subs!

Here is an explanation that I found on an other site:

"Its not so much the greater amount of bass, though more subwoofers do ease the load and provide more accuracy, its the nodes, the more subwoofers, the less effect nodes have, and nodes are serious problems with just one or even two subwoofers. But its out of sight, out of mind for most.

To understand how multiple subwoofers ameliorate the problem of nodes, consider this:

Imagine the nodes of one subwoofer to be like the ripples caused when a pebble is dropped into a pond.

Then drop two pebbles a few feet apart. A person can visually imagine this.

Note the ripples intersect, forming a more diffused ripple effect. Then drop four pebbles each a few feet apart, note that there is much more intersecting ripples, producing a very diffuse effect where the peaks and troughs that were very apparent with the first pebble become much shallower, not only that, but the diffusion will nearly eliminate the "wave" effect. And the more subwoofers, the more even and diffuse will be the ripples.

As with most searches for near perfection in audio, expense and room are the usual limitations."

To me it makes perfect sense is that what really happens? 8O I just can't imagine putting in 4 subs in my room!
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"