X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shane2468
    • Apr 2009

Nva

Has anyone tried one of these? If so, tell me what you think.

• shane2468
    • Apr 2009

LOL! Looks like no one has ever used an NVA preamp on here.

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

I've never heard of this company. I don't like their ground rules for the most part. To much simple minded audiophile jargon. That doesn't mean it's a bad preamp though. Might be good for the money, I have no clue.

Personally, I prefer active preamps. I've used both and active and passive preamps. And with the right amp a passive can sound very good if the cables are kept short. But, sometimes, a passive puts too much series resistance at the input of the amp, and can cause high frequency distortion. It depends on the amp.

1. Ha, Ha ... how 'bout no components. 2. Depends. 3. That's a good one.
      4. Totally insane for preamps, and you can always go overkill with amps. It's usually filter capacitance that many amps skimp on.
      5. Can't trust either. 6. Wrong, small changes made with a treble or tilt control can be very helpful with many bright recordings. Even Sam Tellig want's a Tilt Control - "Sam's Space" in the May 2009 issue of Stereophile.
      A bass control can help with recordings that have dynamic compression or attenuated bass.

His Ground Rules -

Here are my ground rules:

1. There is only one thing better than the best component money can buy, and that is no component at all.

2. Never use two components when you can do the job with one.

3. Screw up your earth (ground) paths at your peril.

4. Always use the largest transformer (toroid if possible) you can cost in.

5. If your ears and your test equipment tell you two different things, trust your ears.

6. If you have a fault in your source material or elsewhere in the equipment chain, you cannot correct it by creating an inverse fault in the amplifier with tone, balance, and filter controls. Two wrongs do not make a right.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• shane2468
        • Apr 2009

Thanks for your input. Soon I'm going to look out for a Rotel Michi RHB-05 poweramp. I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about the NVA. But the good thing is, you will get your money back with in 30days if you are not happy with the NVA in any way.

Maybe I'm better of getting the Michi active preamp. Well if I can only find one that's in very good condition. I do use good decent interconnects in my system. I use Nordost Red Dawns.

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Probably a good way to go. Amps and preamps from the same manufactures usually sound good together. I've read good things about the Rotel preamps and amps.
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"