X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eljr
    • Aug 2007

How much power?

I have a pair of speakers that I would like power recomendations for.
    Here are the specs.

Frequency range+/- 3 dB [Hz]: 42.0 - 34,000.0
    Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB]: 88.0
    Nominal impedance [ohms]: 6
    Maximum SPL [dB]: 109.0
    Recommended amp. power [Watts]: 40.0 - 200.0
    What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
    Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Power requirement is determined by speaker sensitivity, room size, distance from the listening position to the speakers, and how loud you like to listen. Try using this Peak SPL Calculator:

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

HTG rule #1: there is no such thing as ‘Too Much Power’

HTG rule #2: See Rule #1

Seriously, the 'First Watt' always applies. A good amp is a good amp; and typically, you get what you pay for.

Under-powering will only cause under-whelming performance and will be more likely to cause damage to the speaker than a high-power amp due to the distortion a low power amp will produce when asked to produce volume levels beyond its ability.

As always, AIMHO & YMMV
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Given the sensitivity and impedance of your speaker, I say a Solid State 150 Watts RMS will do it. And get one with a hefty power supply, and listen to it first. No hurt in going with 200+ Watts either. Like Bill said - clipping can damage speakers. If the room is small you may not need that much.

Sometimes a lower power amp will sound best just because it's operating in it's lowest distortion range, which is often about midrange output power. Sometimes high sensitivity speakers, even ones that can handle a lot of power sound worse with big power amps, because you're only listening in the 5 - 10 watt output range where there is more distortion. I have this situation with my speakers (8 ohm, 93dB sensitivity) but our 75watt amp sounds much better that our 150watt amp. Both are basically the same amp (and same company) except for differences in the size of power supply and number of output transistors.

This isn't true of all amps. But given your speakers sensitivity you probably don't have to be concerned about this. It's always best to audition a couple different amplifiers with your speakers, if possible.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• eljr
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          Given the sensitivity and impedance of your speaker, I say a Solid State 150 Watts RMS will do it. And get one with a hefty power supply, and listen to it first. No hurt in going with 200+ Watts either. Like Bill said - clipping can damage speakers. If the room is small you may not need that much.

Sometimes a lower power amp will sound best just because it's operating in it's lowest distortion range, which is often about midrange output power. Sometimes high sensitivity speakers, even ones that can handle a lot of power sound worse with big power amps, because you're only listening in the 5 - 10 watt output range where there is more distortion. I have this situation with my speakers (8 ohm, 93dB sensitivity) but our 75watt amp sounds much better that our 150watt amp. Both are basically the same amp (and same company) except for differences in the size of power supply and number of output transistors.

This isn't true of all amps. But given your speakers sensitivity you probably don't have to be concerned about this. It's always best to audition a couple different amplifiers with your speakers, if possible.

Would you consider these specs a good match?
          2 x 150W Minimum Continuous Power into 4/8 ohms
          220W, 340W, 460W IHF Dynamic Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively
          PowerDrive™
          High Current Holmgren™ Toroidal Power Transformer
          What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
          Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Yeah, that would be enough power. Power ratings can be deceiving though and don't say much about amplifier quality. So listen to it if possible, or check for equipment reviews on the internet.
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If buying online get from a company that has 30 day money back guarantee and stand behind their product. If you have to ship it back your out shipping but at least your not stuck with something you don't really like.

Comment

• audiolab1
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                Yeah, that would be enough power. Power ratings can be deceiving though and don't say much about amplifier quality. So listen to it if possible, or check for equipment reviews on the internet.
                Exactly.
                Power figures on their own mean NOTHING with regards to fidelity.
                Just look at all the chip amps and AV receivers claiming 100s of watts per channel with puny power supplies and filter caps. Current delivery capability can actually be more important depending on the severity of the load.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"