'Running in' a CD player - Is this really neccessary?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lewisimo
    • Jan 2009

'Running in' a CD player - Is this really neccessary?

As above please - I recently bought an Arcam CD192 (£950 here in the UK when it came out a year or so ago so pretty high end) and I am led to believe it won’t sound it’s best until it’s been properly ‘run in’ – (around 70 hours or so of listening time according to what I’ve read). Can anyone tell me the science behind this, and what actually changes in the first few days of listening to it? I am not so sure I subscribe to this…I mean it makes sense in that the parts become ‘used’ to operation, and it loosens up etc, much like a car engine, but is there actually a scientific reason for it or is it just a load of audiophile hogwash? Thanks!
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

I am quite sure that there is no science behind the 'run-in'. Asuming that the mechanics of the CD player has been tested at the factory, the electronics does not need any break-ins. Electronics will function the same for at least 20-25 years. At that time the elecrolytic caps may need replacing. 'May' is an operative word here, that is you will not know for sure if its needed until you get there. In general, - mechanics does not influence the electrical behaviour of the system.

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

I read a post awhile back where someone had a new cd player and was not happy with the sound.They left it on overnight and swore the next day it made a difference .Maybe the electronics just needed a good warm up.My cd player was bought used so I can not comment on it from experience.Hope this helps.

Comment

• NonSense
        • Nov 2003

I would disagree, and suggest that a run-in time has merit. Back in the day, when I was involved in the production of CATV analog tuners, the devices were powered and baked in large ovens to simulate aging prior to the final calibration. Else the calibration could drift too far in the field and require service.

In addition, a CD player does have a mechanical component, the spindal motor, along with feedback to control the pace. It would not be a stretch to think that the spindal may need a break in period.

I once had a player which used a brushless DC spindal which floated in a thrust bearing. It most definitly had a break in period. After several years of use, I had to replace the bearing.

I am not suggesting a dramatic change, but some people claim to be able to notice these subtleties. It has been a while since I purchased a new piece of gear, but I can tell you that my current CD player sounds better to me when it is left on all the time. It seems to take several hours to get to thermal equilibrium.
        Bruce

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"