X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdika17
    • Oct 2008

What to ask when buying used speakers?

Post questions to ask when buying used speakers.
    Chase

---------------------------------------------------
    Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Sellers listening habits type of music and what kind of power they were fed. Also if they have any pets or kids it could hint at condition but doesn't always mean they will be in bad condition. Other then that just use common sense.

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by cdika17
      Post questions to ask when buying used speakers.
      Ask questions and listen. Try speakers with your gear and use a best recording SQ-wise to demo. If reproduction poor or theres hissing or crackling etc.then its a no go. Regards, Russ
      Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Ask about power requirements, sensitivity, overall compatibility with your system/room and listening habits (i.e. musical tastes - rock, classical, etc.). Need a lot of bass? Cost constraints? and so on.

Like Russ L mentioned, it's always best to try in home first, when possible.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

1. Can I demo them at home?
          2. Can I demo them with my own source material?
          3. How much?

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah I guess it would depend if your buying used from a local store or off craigslist or something.

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

"Why are you selling them?"
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                "Why are you selling them?"
                I never answer that question. :W

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  I never answer that question. :W

Kal
                  That's why I rarely buy used speakers!
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

That's why I rarely buy used speakers!
                    Perhaps, I should have added that the reason I never answer that question is that I think it irrelevant.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• toledoguy
                      • Jul 2008

Why are you selling may be a very important question. The used market gives me a great opprotunity to get quality equipment but is fraught with serious dangers. Over the last eight months or so I purchases two new amps, a pre/pro, and a surge protector/power conditioner for about $1,300. New those items would have cost me about $3,500. So I save a lot, and ended up with some very, very good equipment. (research is the key here). If you're selling because your getting married, and the new bride doesn't like the looks of your speakers, or if you've decided to buy a pair of brand new Klipschorns and sell the RF-7's because you have the money then so be it ,that's a fair answer. Or if you tell me you just wanted a change, something new that's ok. But if you dance around the answer I'm probably not buying from you. It's like a job interview, and the purchaser is the hiring officer. The question "why do you want to change jobs" is important. If you answer that you've recently completed your education and that you are looking for a job that comportates with that education, or your getting married and moving to a new state then you've given me understandble reasons for a new job. If you dance around the answer,then I'm not going to hire you. It probably means you're about to get let go at the other job, or you have some intractable problem with your manager. I'm not buying that. If you dance around why you are selling I'm going to be worried that the speakers are flawed in some fashion.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Yadda, yadda, yadda. The bottom line is that my reasons are not of your concern and, as in a store, I want to convert them into money. You might also presume that I have found something I like better. My actual personal reasons are, unless I volunteer them, personal. (And why would you presume to believe me, anyway?)

You are buying the speakers, not hiring me. If I assert that the speakers (or other product) are of such and such condition, you can accept that or demo the item or ask more about their performance.

Kal
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• mazurek
                          • Mar 2006

I indulge people because of goodwill I guess, but I'm not a fan of the why are you selling question. I usually have two reasons, one is I don't need it anymore, and the second is I have spent my own time and resources evaluating several parts based on many metrics. I think the htguide forum is a great place for sharing my experience, but a private engineering consultation can be a bit much for a half price garage sale. Anyways, I usually err on the side of helping people out, like when I calibrated a Behringer microphone, for the htguide individual I sold it to, against a more expensive measurement mic I just bought. In that case, it is a win for altruism, but a loss for my my time and money (I bought two behringer mics to check mic to mic consistency, and a more expensive calibrated mic when I found they were inconsistent).

I feel like the best question people have asked me (among other reasonable questions) is "can I have pictures?"; at which point I take pictures, and high res pictures with a flash on are very revealing of how my stuff has been physically treated (very carefully). I suppose if its nearby, this is analagous to "can I check them out myself?".

Comment

• toledoguy
                            • Jul 2008

My point is that if you want to make a sale, then you have to satisy the purcahser. Any question the purchaer asks is relevant if you want to make the sale. You know the old line "the customer is always right." That you wanted to upgrade to a better speaker is a fine answer. The customer that is purchasing your speakers obviously is interested in them for any number of reasons and one is I assume the discount that is available for a used speaker. But If you refuse to answer my question about why you are selling them, or dance around the question, I'm not buying

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by toledoguy
                              My point is that if you want to make a sale, then you have to satisy the purcahser. Any question the purchaer asks is relevant if you want to make the sale. You know the old line "the customer is always right." That you wanted to upgrade to a better speaker is a fine answer. The customer that is purchasing your speakers obviously is interested in them for any number of reasons and one is I assume the discount that is available for a used speaker. But If you refuse to answer my question about why you are selling them, or dance around the question, I'm not buying
                              Fine. But let me ask you: What do you intend to learn from asking the question that pertains to the speaker and not necessarily to the seller?
                              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • May 2006

Just go listen and do all your research online. Se how they are built, what kind of R&D does the company have, warranty, reputation, design....

But at the end of the day do you like them? Also make sure to audition them in your home :B
                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Alaric
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Fine. But let me ask you: What do you intend to learn from asking the question that pertains to the speaker and not necessarily to the seller?

Are any drivers blown , were they in the basement when the sump pump crapped out , did the smell from the dead mouse finally quit wafting out of the rear port..... :W
                                  If picking them up in person (locally) , this wouldn't be necessary , but before I drove 50 miles or sent a money order to someone I don't know on an auction site , I'd have to ask.
                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                  Marantz CD5005
                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2006

Are any drivers blown , were they in the basement when the sump pump crapped out , did the smell from the dead mouse finally quit wafting out of the rear port..... :W
                                    If picking them up in person (locally) , this wouldn't be necessary , but before I drove 50 miles or sent a money order to someone I don't know on an auction site , I'd have to ask.
                                    Those are all good and relevant questions, of course. I think that any questions related to the speakers themselves, as opposed to the seller's motivations about the sale, are fair game.

Kal
                                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Russ L
                                      • Jul 2006

Those are all good and relevant questions, of course. I think that any questions related to the speakers themselves, as opposed to the seller's motivations about the sale, are fair game.

Kal
                                      Agreed. Often the seller is hesitant to admit that they are selling for the cash-they are cash strapped. Or they are selling because of spousal pressure. Etc, etc, etc. One can elicit hesitant responses to the question -Why are you selling?- for a number of reasons. Not only for the reason that they are being sold for being defective in some way. Ex. the tweeter only craps out :E when playing the final crescendo in the Rondo of Beethoven's Violin Concerto. :M Best to demo the speakers yourself with a lengthy listening session over a number of days. If not possible then I (personally) would buy new. Kind regards, Russ
                                      Russ

Comment

• Ken49r
                                        • Dec 2007

Yadda, yadda, yadda. The bottom line is that my reasons are not of your concern and, as in a store, I want to convert them into money. You might also presume that I have found something I like better. My actual personal reasons are, unless I volunteer them, personal. (And why would you presume to believe me, anyway?)

You are buying the speakers, not hiring me. If I assert that the speakers (or other product) are of such and such condition, you can accept that or demo the item or ask more about their performance.

Kal
                                        I have to agree with Kal on this one.

Buying online is a little scary since there are so many scam artists who will tell you anything to get ahold of your hard earned $$$. I don't care one way or another why an item is being sold. My main concern is if I'm truley getting the item for sale. How many times do you see equipment on Audiogon where the seller says "Only used about 10 hours" or "I bought this for a second system and changed my mind. It's been in a closet the whole time"? Who in their right mind is going to buy a McIntosh and stuff it in the closet?
                                        Almost as bad as "This Porsche was owned by a little old lady who never drove it". Pictures of the item are of big importance to me. I like to see what it looks like and I want to know the picture I see is recent and not stolen off the web of someone elses gear. Take a photo with a copy of USA today next to it or somthing to put that little bit of doubt I'm being scammed to rest. Also if you see other parts of the sellers gear and how it seems to be maintained it gives insight and a little peace of mind the equipment was well cared for.
                                        I have never bought used yet. But if I ever do thats what I will be looking for. And big ticket items will be close enough for me to make a weekend drive and demo/purchase in person.

Comment

• matti_roch
                                          • Mar 2009

are there any shipping carriers made only for hifi? thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"