X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Anyone Listen to Vinyl

My dad gave me around 300 of his records from the 50's to the 80's and a beat up automatic Yamaha turntable with a new Shure cartridge.

They seem to sound really good when they are clean, but most are dirty.

My questions are:

1. What is the cheapest way to deep clean the records?

2. would a better turntable do a better job with the crackles, and pops of a dirty record?
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

You can clean them in the kitchen sink - luke warm water, a drop of dish detergent, a soft wash cloth. Then dry on a clean lint free towel.Always clean in a circular motion following the grooves.

A new cartridge might help with surface noise.

Comment

• atchudy
      • Nov 2007

dishsoap? really? Is this like an extreme solution that I shouldnt use often?

Any sources on how to calibrate the position or weight of cartridge?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by atchudy
        My dad gave me around 300 of his records from the 50's to the 80's and a beat up automatic Yamaha turntable with a new Shure cartridge.

They seem to sound really good when they are clean, but most are dirty.

My questions are:

1. What is the cheapest way to deep clean the records?

2. would a better turntable do a better job with the crackles, and pops of a dirty record?
        Go on Audiogon and look for a thread on their forum titled "Deep Cleaning Records with Steam"

Walgreens sells the "Perfection Steam Cleaner" for $30. It does a better job than a VPI Machine (I sold mine). You will also need distilled water (just go to a grocery store) and soem microfiber cloths (Home Depot - about $5 for three).

A better cart will help wit hsurface noise but the cart needs to be mathced to your tonearm.

Try cleaning them first.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Vinyl is my favorite source

I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago, and for me it absolutely revolutionized my love of music!

I do think a better turntable can help reduce noise and will "dig' much more detail out of the grooves. But you can spend a fortune on this if you are not careful!

But cleaning your records is essential regardless of your turntable & cartridge. Most vinylphiles own a record cleaner - I admit I didn't know about steam cleaning till I read DM3000's comments so I'm going to explore that. Up to now I've borrowed a Nitty Gritty cleaning machine from my local hi-fi shop when I need to clean some records.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Go to the auto parts store and by the some micro-fiber towels. The guys who spend mega $ on custom paint jobs use them, good enough for me.

Go to a big chain drug store and get the purest isopropyl (min 90%) you can find and a few gallons of distilled water, and three quart sized clear plastic spray bottles, and few packages of quilted cotton makeup removal pads.

In one bottle, mix about 1 tablespoon of Dawn unscented dwl to a quart of distilled water.
            This is your enzyme/surfactant cleaner for biological contamination.

In another bottle, mix a solution of ~ 20% isopropyl and distilled water. This is a lifting/cleaning solution for getting the loosened dirt & other contaminates off.

Fill the third bottle with distilled water. This is your rinse.

1. Gently wipe the LP with one of the micro-fiber towels, (remember, use the same towel for each individual step to avoid cross-contamination).

2. Spray the dwl solution on the LP and wipe with a cotton pad.

3. Spray the distilled water on the LP and wipe with a cotton pad.

4. Spray the isopropyl solution on the LP and wipe with a cotton pad.

5. Spray the straight distilled water on the LP and dry with a Micro-fiber towel.

If it sounds like work, it is. But try playing an uncleaned record, and then clean it as described above. If you don’t think the difference is worth the effort, I will be V, V surprised.

One other note. The condition of the cartridge is critical. If the one you are using is of unknown condition, replace it now. A misaligned or worn cart will do un-repairable damage in just one play.

There is a ton of info available at the Vinyl Asylum forum.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• alebonau
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

vinyl my favourite source too

the cheapest cleaning method ? a $30 antistatic brush. what I use for my records. all my records pretty clean anyways though and jsut need to use the brush to remove the surface dust or static build up that can cause crackles or pops.

if the record is really old and scratched and with surface damage, then nothing will help it to remove crackles and pops. if it is really old and grubby then one of those expensive cleaning machines will likely be all that will be able to remove the grime. with the cleaning machines, always some controversy of the residual left after cleaning and likely surface damage from steaming. something for you to weigh up.

another alternative for the really old grubby records is perhaps look for a cleaning service, one record store I know provides that service quite inexpensively so might be worth considering if only have a few old records in need of a clean
              "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by alebonau

the cheapest cleaning method ? a $30 antistatic brush. what I use for my records. all my records pretty clean anyways though and jsut need to use the brush to remove the surface dust or static build up that can cause crackles or pops.

if the record is really old and scratched and with surface damage, then nothing will help it to remove crackles and pops. if it is really old and grubby then one of those expensive cleaning machines will likely be all that will be able to remove the grime. with the cleaning machines, always some controversy of the residual left after cleaning and likely surface damage from steaming. something for you to weigh up.

another alternative for the really old grubby records is perhaps look for a cleaning service, one record store I know provides that service quite inexpensively so might be worth considering if only have a few old records in need of a clean
                antistatic brush :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Yes, I too, agree.

Obviously, a record that is already clean will need V little attention, and a simple wipe with a good quality carbon-fiber / antistatic brush should be sufficient. However, on an LP with unknown provenance, a good and careful cleaning will ensure the best possible listening experience.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

alebonau,

BTW, I love Nitin Sawhney!
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Don't forget to clean your stylus , as well.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                        alebonau,

BTW, I love Nitin Sawhney!
                        haha Bill ! in all my time on forums you are the first to pick that up !

great to meet another nitin sawhney fan

I have just about all his CDs and the prophesy DVD. Can you beleive it was hearing the prophesy LP being demoed on my previous turntable that got me back into vinyl !

realy hard to find his stuff on vinyl though, it seems I've scoured the world in search for his stuff and best I've found is the odd LP mostly second hand

ps think your suggestion of cleaning method for grubby records with the micro fibre cloths and solutions is a very good one. defintely much more cost effective I'd say then those pricey cleaning machines
                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• atchudy
                          • Nov 2007

the records have not been played, let alone cleaned in at least 20 years. I cleaned a couple with dawn and warm water, and then a microfiber cloth and they are great. But I also now notice what sounds like a static problem on one or two records.

Also, my turntable is a Yamaha P-450 i believe, which is automatic. I had a Shure V15V-MR on it, and i broke that needle to i have M97 xe.

How can I tell is the cartridge is matched to the tonearm? How do i adjust it?

Would i seen an improvement with a Rega P1? or something even less expensive?

Comment

• wgriel
                            • May 2006

If you are going for a budget table, the Rega P1 is OK and would be an upgrade over the Yamaha. I lean a bit more toward the Pro-ject line of budget tables, especially if you can spring for the Xpression II . It comes with a very decent cartridge, an acrylic platter and a very nice tone arm.

Comment

• twitch54
                              • Apr 2006

I concur with Bill (wkhanna) advise, a very good inexspensive start, that way you will see if analog is really for you at which point you can take it to the next level both in playback as well as cleaning (RCM)
                              Dave

Comment

• atchudy
                                • Nov 2007

How can i tell if the Shure is matched to the arm/table?

How can i calibrate it?

The only thing so far that makes it not sound good is occasional crackle, and dirty records.

My dad claims it was pretty high end back in the day, even if it wasn't as good as the Shure v15v cartridge.

What do you guys use for a turntable?

Also, will it help to replace the inner sleeves, and then put the whole albums in outer sleeves? Which ones are good?

Comment

• wkhanna
                                  • Jan 2006

How can i tell if the Shure is matched to the arm/table?
                                  Try here: link
                                  Google is your friend, see if you can find info on the TT and Cart at the manufacturer's web sites for the specifications.

How can i calibrate it?
                                  See above

The only thing so far that makes it not sound good is occasional crackle, and dirty records.
                                  Some LP's may have permanent damage. Until you give each one a thorough cleaning, you will not know for sure. 'Crackle' could be from static, and a conductive carbon-fiber / anti-static brush may help. It can also be what is referred to as 'surface noise'. Sometimes thorough cleaning will help, sometimes it is permeant damage from worn needles or miss-handling. And sometimes even a new LP will have surface noise due to poor quality control during manufacturing.

My dad claims it was pretty high end back in the day, even if it wasn't as good as the Shure v15v cartridge.
                                  With a decent cart, you should get decent sound from this TT.

What do you guys use for a turntable?
                                  I have a Music Hall MMF-7 that I bought used on Agon.

Also, will it help to replace the inner sleeves, and then put the whole albums in outer sleeves?
                                  Well, let me ask you this, do you put your dirty socks back on your feet after you bathe? Just kidding, but you get my point.

Which ones are good?
                                  Clean ones. Try herelink

Again, do some reading, and I recommend this as a good place to start.
                                  link

It sounds like you are excited about this 'new' medium you have found. Take your time, do some research, and keep us posted. We are here to help.
                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna

Well, let me ask you this, do you put your dirty socks back on your feet after you bathe?
                                    All the time .... :T
                                    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Well, maybe I was out of line with that one. ops:

I guess I’m so old I forgot what college life was like.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by alebonau

I disagree with your post. Once clean, I don't bother with anything. Occasionally I use a carbon fiber brush before playing, but seldome needed after an initial cleaning.

I think that I put this in my initial post, but I bought a new VPI 16.5 and the $100 worth of record research fluid that everyone says you must have. It did a very poor job of cleaning. Surface noise would go down a little, but not that much.

Needless to say, I sold the machine. The steam cleaner does b low steam, but it is not as hot as you think. You can put yoru hand in the stream and not be burnt. It is hot, but not scolding and not enough to damage the records. It works very well. I just steam most records. on really dirty ones I stem, then use a mix of about 25% rubbing alcohol (I realize that the store stuff is 75%), 75% distilled water and a drop of dish soap. Then I brush with a Disc Doctor brush, and steam again and dry. It works very well. Buy a bunch of sleeves from these guys:

Read about vinyl records, including where to buy them and what to look out for. Learn how to store vinyl in order to keep it in top condition.

The more expensive ones are worth it.

The steamer is relatively quiet so you can listen to music while you stem. I just got doen with about 2 hours of cleanign records. I am trying to get through my whole collection.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"