X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

Recommend me a SACD?

I've just recently come to own a PS3 and I've discovered that it plays SACD! So, I'm wondering if any of you could recommend me a SACD, preferably in the genres I listen to (Classic rock, contemporary rock, hard rock, hip hop)...?
    The some of the artists on my playlist right now are:
    3 Doors Down
    54-40
    Airbourne
    Apocalyptica
    Avenge Sevenfold
    Black Sabbath
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Bone Crusher
    Breaking Benjamin
    Buffalo Springfield
    Carrie Underwood
    Chevelle
    City and Color
    CCR
    Deftones
    Disturbed
    Eminem
    Eric Clapton
    George Thorogood
    Godsmack
    Heart
    Hinder

You get the idea. I'd actually really love to get my hands on a Tragically Hip SACD if I could. Any suggestions fellas? Thx.
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

"Dark Side of the Moon" -- Pink Floyd. Amazing!!!

Also "Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East" and "Eat a Peach."
    merlin

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by krips
      I've just recently come to own a PS3 and I've discovered that it plays SACD! So, I'm wondering if any of you could recommend me a SACD, preferably in the genres I listen to (Classic rock, contemporary rock, hard rock, hip hop).
      Look at sa-cd.net

The Police, Pink Flyod, Rolling Stone, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Franky Goes to Hollywood.....
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

If it plays DVD-A , I would try Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I grabbed this one the other day um Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company awesome sounding SACD.

Comment

• krips
            • Sep 2007

It doesn't play DVD-A, unfortunately. So far I've been looking at Snow Patrol (reviewed on SACD.net, but isn't listed as one on amazon), Godsmack, John Mayer, and Pink Floyd (I'm sad another brick in the wall pt.2 isn't on that CD).
            Sharp LC-42D64U
            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Alaric
              If it plays DVD-A , I would try Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".
              This is available on SACD as well, and I recommend it. I'll throw in the obligatory Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms. If you like Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral is excellent.
              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• krips
                • Sep 2007

I've looked around all the stores in town, and none of them carry SACDs or can even order them in. Looks like I'm stuck with ebay or amazon.
                I'll give NIN a listen tonight and see if it's worth the purchase. Thanks for the suggestions.
                Sharp LC-42D64U
                TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

Most of Elton John's other SACDs sound better than Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Check out Tumbleweed Connection.
                  Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                  Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                  B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                  VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                  Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Gremal
                    Most of Elton John's other SACDs sound better than Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Check out Tumbleweed Connection.
                    How do you like the Integra DTC-9.8 preamp?
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

You know, I don't own any Nine Inch Nails, and not much into industrial music, but there's a few of those songs that are really catchy. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to buy the NIN Blu-Ray disc?
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• littlesaint
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
                        You know, I don't own any Nine Inch Nails, and not much into industrial music, but there's a few of those songs that are really catchy. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to buy the NIN Blu-Ray disc?
                        Do you mean the "Beside You In Time" disc? I have the HD-DVD, and it's a good disc. Reznor's music is very much studio engineered, but he pulls off a pretty good live performance given the material.
                        Santino

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Cool, yeah, that's released on BD now. Could be a good way to get a "best of" kind of disc, with good AQ.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gremal

I have Madman Across The Water on SACD , and , not so much....Maybe because I have an original on vinyl I'm more critical of the SACD version , but , GBYBR is a far superior recording , IMHO.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ken49r
                              • Dec 2007

I listen to more SACD & DVD-A in 2 channel mode than multichannel.

Steely Dan - "Goucho"
                              Pink Floyd - "Dark Side Of The Moon"
                              Both are excellent multichannel recordings.

Bon Jovi - "This Left Feels Right"
                              Is a nice toned down version of their hits.

So far I've got all my SACD/DVD-A from BestBuy. I have to rummage though all the redbook Cd's to find them though.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2007

Here ya go! If you like guitars and got bass this is a lot of fun. I've only heard the first cut :rollhead: :spin: but it's great, and I like Joe Satriani a lot, so .....

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

I'll check that out. I really want "Surfing With the Alien" in high resolution.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

I'll check that out. I really want "Surfing With the Alien" in high resolution.

Me too. It appears that "Engines of Creation" is only available used now. I'm wondering if the SACD format is disapearing. At Amazon they have two used for $135.00 on up!

I just ordered "Surfing with the Alien" on LP new at (www.tower.com). They don't even handle SACD.
                                    Last edited by Johnloudb; 11 October 2008, 07:06 Saturday.
                                    John unk:

Comment

• Russ L
                                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                      Me too. It appears that "Engines of Creation" is only available used now. I'm wondering if the SACD format is disapearing. At Amazon they have two used for $135.00 on up!

I just ordered "Surfing with the Alien" on LP new at (www.tower.com). They don't even handle SACD.
                                      Thanks for the recommendation. Just ordered the 1987 version of the"Surfing with the Alien" LP from a 3rd party at amazon. Apparently still new sealed versions around. Can't wait. Thanks.
                                      Russ

Comment

• Jordo
                                        • Aug 2008

Hey I just received the 3 Doors Down SACD "away from the sun", and Godsmack"the other side" is on the way. Well I have the PS3 with the statement front towers and JBL northridge series for the rest of the system, and an onkyo 805 powering it all, let me tell ya it is almost hard to go back to listening to "normal" CD's anymore, and mp3's sound downright terrible, even at 192kbps. I set the onkyo to Multichannel, which runs SACD at 5.1 DSD, and it fills the room with perfect clarity, imaging is MUCH better, and i find the vocals stand out almost like a live experience, exactly how the music should sound. Its too bad this isnt a technology that caught on, because I would love to hear all my favorite artists sound this good, buy em you wont be disappointed.

Comment

• krips
                                          • Sep 2007

Good to hear about the 3DD CD! Let me know how you like the Godsmack CD too, if you could.
                                          Sharp LC-42D64U
                                          TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Jordo
                                            • Aug 2008

Well just received the Godsmack SACD, LOVE IT btw! Wow I had heard this disc before on mp3 tracks, and it sounded ok, I really liked the "running blind" song so figured I would buy it, and found out I really like all the tracks! The acoustic aspect of this SACD really makes it stand out as a good reference disc to hear all the little twangs and strums of the guitars. I had read reviews on sa-cd.net before I bought this and it received great reviews for the audio quality and it does not disappoint! I sorta liked Godsmack before this, but this disc would make anyone love em! Buy it! Oh ya if you are wondering about ordering this, I'm not sure where you live but on amazon.ca, they wanted like $60+ bucks for this disc, so i ordered it off amazon.com from the same vendor for $30, crooks, but just a FYI.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                              • May 2008

Originally posted by littlesaint
                                              This is available on SACD as well, and I recommend it. I'll throw in the obligatory Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms. If you like Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral is excellent.
                                              Downward Spiral IS an excellent SACD. Everytime I listen to it I hear something new. The Godsmack one Amazon sells is not very good imho. And I like Godsmack. PF "Dark Side" is one of my favorites.
                                              Last edited by tylerdurden; 16 October 2008, 14:52 Thursday.

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

And for something totally different

If you like good music try these:

Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique etc. - Cincinnati SO/Järvi
                                                A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Mahler: Symphony No. 1 - San Francisco/Michael Tilson Thomas

Orff: Carmina Burana - Atlanta SO/Runnicles

and Finally

Dvorak: Symphony Nos. 8, 9 - Budapest Festival Orchestra/Fischer

Pink Floyd is the most fun SACD Sony spent a million dollar rerecording this SACD to show what the format could do. I wish all the classics where taht well done

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by krips
                                                  The some of the artists on my playlist right now are:

Blue Oyster Cult

Agents of fortune is available

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

I've seen a couple of high recommendations of the "Chris Botti - In Boston" Bluray. While I don't have that "Yet", I highly recommend this SACD, Chris Botti "Night Sessions." I found it rummaging through my Dad's SACD collection in which I've been discovering new music. It's one of the highest quality SACDs I've heard. Just beautiful. And, I really enjoy the music. It's just so relaxing and it's difficult not to just listen all the way through.

I've seen the SACD still around used, for a PRICE $$$$. I haven't heard the CD but you may want to buy that first, before pennying up for the SACD.
                                                    Attached Files
                                                    John unk:

Comment

• dtb300
                                                      • Apr 2007

Some of the discs I have which I feel have great sonics and stand my test of sounding great on multiple system listening. Some are SACD, some are Redbook:

Audiophile Vocal Recordings - Chesky (Redbook)
                                                      Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster - MoFi (Redbook)
                                                      Art Pepper + Eleven (SACD)
                                                      Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus (SACD)
                                                      Live at Blues Alley - Eva Cassidy (Redbook)
                                                      The E.S.E. Sessions - Blue Coast Collection (SACD)
                                                      Art Lande - While she sleeps (Blue Coast) (SACD)
                                                      Flim & the BB's - Tricycle (SACD) DMP
                                                      Steven Davis - Quality of Sound (SACD) DMP
                                                      Yellow Jackets - Lifecycle (SACD) Heads-Up
                                                      Fourplay - Energy (SACD) Heads-Up
                                                      Mark Knopfler - Shangrai-La (SACD) (superior IMO to Brothers SACD)
                                                      Amanda McBroom - Live from Rainbow and Stars (Redbook)
                                                      Patrick O'Hearn - Glaciation (Redbook)
                                                      Diana Krall - Love Scenes (SACD)
                                                      Stanley Clarke Trio - Jazz in the Garden (Redbook) Heads-Up

For Classical - all SACD

Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi
                                                      RCA Living Stereo - Pictures at an Exhibition (MoFi version)
                                                      Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher (Pentatone Label)
                                                      Boston Symphony Chamber - Mozart Chamber Music for Winds and Strings
                                                      Telemann - Tafelmusik (Channel Classics)
                                                      Haydn - The Fry Street Quartet - ISO-Mike Recording (Ray Kimber)
                                                      Beethoven - Fry Street Quartet - ISO-Mike Recording
                                                      (all ISO Mike recordings are amazing quality, you just have to like the music too)

DSOTM shows off the ability to put any instrument or sound in any of the channels. Nice if you like instruments or voices all around you. But sound quality is easily surpassed by many other SACD's.

I like classical SACD as they use the surround channels for ambience or hall recreation. IMO that produces the best sound for MCH audio.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

Some of my favorite SACDs are

If you are feeling a little froggy theres always Luda on SACD LOL

B&W

Comment

• aud19
                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2003

I'll second DSOTM... and throw in Nick Drake
                                                          Jason

Comment

• krips
                                                            • Sep 2007

race car, whats that last album ? rap?
                                                            Sharp LC-42D64U
                                                            TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by dtb300
                                                              Mark Knopfler - Shangrai-La (SACD) (superior IMO to Brothers SACD)
                                                              Really? Okay, so be it! I'm off to Amazon to buy it right now. I have lots of Knopfler's albums, but not that one.

Most people here know that I'm a HUGE fanboy of the Dire Straits BIA 20th Anniversary Edition on DVD-A. You make a good challenge, sir!
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Dec 2000

Huh... now, I thought that was an error, and you meant to say the DVD-A. But I just went to Amazon, and saw that there actually is a Dire Straits BIA SACD now! It's an import. I would be MOST curious to hear from anyone knowledgeable that could compare the SACD and DVD-A to see if one might be better than the other!
                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                  • Aug 2007

Huh... now, I thought that was an error, and you meant to say the DVD-A. But I just went to Amazon, and saw that there actually is a Dire Straits BIA SACD now! It's an import. I would be MOST curious to hear from anyone knowledgeable that could compare the SACD and DVD-A to see if one might be better than the other!
                                                                  Dire Straits fan that doesn't know BIA is on SACD? tsk...tsk. :B

It's very good. Although I have not heard the DVD-A version.

A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• gross30
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

Hear hear on the Dire Straits B.I.A. on sacd. It is an incredible recording to begin with, throw in 5.1 with super audio, and the sound is amazing !!!

Comment

• gross30
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2005

If you haven't already, check out some Marvin Gaye sacd's, great recordings and the music is great as well.

Comment

• dtb300
                                                                        • Apr 2007

I do not use DVD-A so sorry I cannot comment on the DVD-A version of BIA vs SACD. The SACD of BIA is better than the original or remastered version IMO.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2007

The SACD is generally easier to find than the DualDisc (CD, DVD-V, DVD-A) release. The engineer who produced both states that he prefers the DualDisc since it is essentially a direct transfer of the original 24/96 PCM. The SACD had to be re-sampled for DSD.

Santino

Comment

• chrispy35
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2004
                                                                            • 198

krips,

I just re-read the 1st post and I think that's the first time I've ever seen 54-40 mentioned in these forums.

Good taste!

Chris P.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Dec 2000
                                                                              • 16877

#39
                                                                              littlesaint: FANTASTIC find on the mixing, and SACD vs. DVD-A. As I said, I already own the DVD-A, but since this is my #1 favorite disc for demo, I just might pick it up on SACD as well so I can do my own comparison.
                                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2008
                                                                                • 311

#40
                                                                                Try GENESIS SACD they have about five out Awesome
                                                                                2ch Setup
                                                                                Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                                                                Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                                                                MIT

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2007
                                                                                  • 1877

#41
                                                                                  I was shopping at Amazon and was happy to see these Eric Clapton classics on SACD - Slowhand, 461 Ocean Boulevard . I have both on CD also and I've really enjoyed them.
                                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2007
                                                                                    • 1877

#42
                                                                                    I was just listening to this SACD, and I really like it. I haven't heard the whole album but was really impressed by the few tracks I heard. The album has some heavy metal stylings and sounds more dark that his other works that I'm familiar with ("Surfing with the Alien" and "Engines of Creation"). It's available at amazon too.

Here

Attached Files
                                                                                    John unk:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"