X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moosespeaker
    • Apr 2008

T, Cincinnati cicada's measured at 89.9 dBA

Our office parking lot is within 300 feet of the Little Miami River in Milford (east side of Cincinnati for you out-of-towners) with MANY trees. I used a Quest model M 27 logging noise dosimeter to monitor their "singing" :rofl: . The volume rises and falls with a 7 to 9 second interval between peaks (average is 8 sec) with peak (1 second interval) of 89.9 dBA and a minimum of 80 dBA. It appeared that ever 6th or 7th "peak" was loudest. Average peaks were around 87.7 to 88.6 dBA. The recorded maximum peak level (50 millisecond window) was 90.5 dBA.

For those of you not in the know, OSHA requires hearing protection if you are exposed to 90 dBA in the work place. Being outside in parts of Cincinnati is an OSHA violation.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by moosespeaker
    For those of you not in the know, OSHA requires hearing protection if you are exposed to 90 dBA in the work place. Being outside in parts of Cincinnati is an OSHA violation.
    But only if the cicadas are singing - I hope. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

That's very interesting two fold. One that the little buggers can generate that kind of noise - volume. The other is the OSHA rule.

We have something going on here that is not the novelty that yours is, but odd none the less.

We moved buildings and brought our sandbox server cabinets. We get a new person in the group and they don't know (duh) the servers are ours and let corporate know the fan noise is excessive. Here comes the kicker, I sit not to much further from the servers, but on an main aisle near a bathroom. Given the correct timing, bathroom door open and someone heading in, someone flushing the noise is much louder than the server fans. Someone flushing when the main entrance door to the restroom is open sounds like Niagra Falls, I think there is a echo - amplification with the tile and design and all when the main door is open.

I think I might have to bring my sound meter in.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"