X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_free69
    • Dec 2007

Reference CD's?

So aside from test tone sweeps, what do you people listen to?

Don't try to impress with your Hannah Montana Collection; I'm just curious what CD's you think are good enough to make critical speaker tweaks on.

I mean, how can you ever really know how something is supposed to sound?
    Sometimes its about knowing what the faults of a recording are too, not just "it sounds great".

While tweaking my Zaph SR-71 crossover I've gone thru hundreds of CDs, but everytime I evaluated a change I try to jump through the same handful. I tend to listen to a lot of different styles, so I'll keep my list to more mainstream stuff
    Here's whats on the top of my pile (that there's a reasonable chance you've heard):

In Rainbows (Radiohead) - this is a very modern recording but not overly squashed like so many contemporary rock recordings. Great depth and layering. There's a couple of tracks where you can tell they put a little extra edge on the vocals (a good speaker should reveal the sins too!)

Springsteen Greatest Hits - the early stuff, like most pre-CD era recordings, are a little bass shy. The classic "Born to Run" is a very complex mix and a good test for the midrange detail and harshness. After all these years I've noticed something in the last chorus where you can hear the vocal tone changing in the last few lines (maybe a punch in?).

Robert Plant /Allison Krauss - With 2 great singers the vocals are understandably a little forward here. You can hear how they are panned ever so slightly apart.

Sia (Some people..) This recording is a bit of an enigma - its infamous for being mastered at too low a level, but it is one of the most natural recordings I've heard in a while. The drum sound is exemplary

Brazilian Girls Admittedly they are little off the beaten path, but this is an excellent recording : fantastic imaging and depth and ubeleivably solid, deep bass. The sexy, multilingual vocals just float in the air in front of you .

I welcome your comments on my list so we might compare notes.
    What's on your list (hopefully not anything too obscure or out of print ?
  • niget2002
    • Aug 2007

I have a couple of songs that I know by heart that I will listen to.

Eagles Hotel California (Live)... probably not the best recording, but I've listened to it on so many different setups I know when somethings missing.

Armageddon soundtrack: Leaving on a Jet Plane

the Celtic Women CD (bought from PBS) - great for female vocals and instruments

Live T.B.D. - the bass line at the beginning is probably the best part of the song.

After those, I usually just throw the 300 disc CD changer on random and let it do its magic.

Comment

• Operandi
      • May 2007

Heh, Brazilian Girls doesn't jump out as something that would make good test material but yeah, I see that I suppose. I'll have to try that.

I'll suggest a couple...

Nickel Creek - This Side: Really well mastered modern Bluesgrass, great vocals from the brother & sister duo.

Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine: I don't think she needs a description but I think the detail in some of minimalistic songs make for good test tracks.

The Books - The Lemon of Pink: Not everyone is going to be into this group I'm sure. Their music is basically a sum of several extremely detailed high-resolution samples of both vocals and sounds arranged to form a very dynamic and often complex sound. I consider them an electronic group but everything they use is natural sound, nothing (to my knowledge) is synthetically generated.

Comment

• StewLG
        • Apr 2008

Stuff that showed off my SR-71s

Menomena - Friend and Foe - See notes here.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise More layered brilliance.

I'm running my SR-71s with the default crossover - no tweaks.

Comment

• dtb300
          • Apr 2007

My opinions on best sounding recordings: Top level sounding CD/SACD to me is one that will sound the best from the budget system to the midrange system all the way up to the high end mega dollar systems. They are sometimes not your favorite music (though favorite music does help but it sometimes clouds our judgment) but recordings that can really show off what can be obtained from a medium of Digital, Vinyl, or Tape as each has their own leaders.

I am in the digital world, so some of the discs I have which I feel have great sonics, I like the music, and stand my test of sounding great on multiple systems:

Note: SACD's listened in 2Ch mode in this 1st list:

Audiophile Vocal Recordings - Chesky (Redbook)
          Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster - MoFi (Redbook)
          Art Pepper + Eleven (SACD)
          Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus (SACD)
          Live at Blues Alley - Eva Cassidy (Redbook)
          Amanda McBroom - Live from Rainbow and Stars (Redbook)
          The E.S.E. Sessions - Blue Coast Collection (SACD)
          Dancing in the Dark - Tierney Sutton (Redbook - SACD soon to arrive)
          Altered States - Yellowjackets (SACD)
          Flim & the BB's - Tricycle (SACD)
          Quality of Sound - Steve Davis (SACD)
          Tierney Sutton - Dancing in the Dark (SACD) Telarc

For Classical - all on SACD - listened to in MCH not 2CH

Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi - Telarc
          Rimsky-Korsakov - Sherherazade - RCA Living Stereo
          Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition - MoFi Version
          Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher - Pentatone
          Mozart Youth Symphonies (3 & 4 sound the best) - Pentatone
          Boston Symphony Chamber - Mozart Chamber Music for Winds and Strings - BSO Classics
          Haydn - The Fry Street Quartet - ISO-Mike Recording by Ray Kimber
          Works for Clarinets and Stings - Dahl, Martinu, Husa - ISO-Mike (see above)
          Last edited by dtb300; 31 May 2008, 18:08 Saturday.

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by jeff_free69
            So aside from test tone sweeps, what do you people listen to?

Don't try to impress with your Hannah Montana Collection; I'm just curious what CD's you think are good enough to make critical speaker tweaks on.

I mean, how can you ever really know how something is supposed to sound?
            Sometimes its about knowing what the faults of a recording are too, not just "it sounds great".

While tweaking my Zaph SR-71 crossover I've gone thru hundreds of CDs, but everytime I evaluated a change I try to jump through the same handful. I tend to listen to a lot of different styles, so I'll keep my list to more mainstream stuff
            Here's whats on the top of my pile (that there's a reasonable chance you've heard):

In Rainbows (Radiohead) - this is a very modern recording but not overly squashed like so many contemporary rock recordings. Great depth and layering. There's a couple of tracks where you can tell they put a little extra edge on the vocals (a good speaker should reveal the sins too!)

Springsteen Greatest Hits - the early stuff, like most pre-CD era recordings, are a little bass shy. The classic "Born to Run" is a very complex mix and a good test for the midrange detail and harshness. After all these years I've noticed something in the last chorus where you can hear the vocal tone changing in the last few lines (maybe a punch in?).

Robert Plant /Allison Krauss - With 2 great singers the vocals are understandably a little forward here. You can hear how they are panned ever so slightly apart.

Sia (Some people..) This recording is a bit of an enigma - its infamous for being mastered at too low a level, but it is one of the most natural recordings I've heard in a while. The drum sound is exemplary

Brazilian Girls Admittedly they are little off the beaten path, but this is an excellent recording : fantastic imaging and depth and ubeleivably solid, deep bass. The sexy, multilingual vocals just float in the air in front of you .

I welcome your comments on my list so we might compare notes.
            What's on your list (hopefully not anything too obscure or out of print ?
            jeff,

There are a few threads available in the "In Tune" area of the forum on this topic as well. They are stickies so should be easy to find. They should help you out as well!
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, the last 4 tracks, starting with "Ride Across The River"
              Eagles - Hotel California, specifically "Try And Love Again"
              Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, specifically "Sisters Of The Moon" and "Beautiful Child"

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• eljr
                • Aug 2007

Live at Massey Hall 1971--------Neil Young
                Blood Sweat And Tears---------Blood Sweat And Tears (SACD)
                Chicago Transit Athority---------Chicago Transit Athority (SACD)
                Blue Country Heart---------Jorma Kaukonen
                The Best Of Johnny Winter----------Johnny Winter (SACD)
                What you got back home, lil' sister, to play yer fuzzy warbles on? Pitiful, portable picnic players?
                Come with uncle & hear all proper! Hear angels trumpets & devils trombones. You are invited!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Very simple, only one, that tells me everything I need to know about a system:

Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms, 20th Anniversary Remastered Edition, on DVD-Audio.

If you haven't heard me talk about this album before, (David just mentioned it) it's stunning, and highly recommended for all. Especially check out the intro for "Money for Nothing". I use it every time as a demo for visitors to my home theater.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"