Clear All
  • peter_m
    • Sep 2007

What does this do?

Anyone know about this: http://www.aphex.com/204.htm

Is it snake oil?
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

I'd guess it changes the sound along the lines it says.

Whether or not it's beneficial, and provides an improvement for you is pretty much your call.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• chrispy35
      • Feb 2004

I looks like a dynamic range expander (opposite of compressor) similar to DBX products of old. The DBX I played with was highly configurable but it's effect on sound was not for me.

Definitely not snake oil...

Chris P.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

Oral Exciter? Hmmm...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

This technology that was "Introduced in 1975" must be sensational since "...it originally rented for $30 per recorded minute"... so maybe today's $0.99 per song for a legal download isn't such a bad price after all, huh?

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Martyn
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
            Oral Exciter? Hmmm...
            ....with a "Big Bottom"!

In the image processing world, there's an "enhancement" called unsharp-masking. This gives a slightly blurred image an apparent increase in sharpness by drawing fine, contrasting borders around groups of pixels. I suppose the principle is the same as the Old Masters used when they lightened the background around the periphery of a portrait to make it stand out, only applied at a much smaller scale. It can't, of course, produce detail that isn't there to start with, but it can give an illusion of increased sharpness if used judiciously. I'd guess that this product is doing a similar thing (in analagous terms) to an audio signal.

Comment

• peter_m
              • Sep 2007

LOL, since no one really knows what it actually does to achieve the enhancements, then I tend to believe there is nothing there...but smoke an mirrors... might just be me!

Comment

• Victor
                • Apr 2002

It definetely a compressor/expander built around automatic gain control ideas. It is not totally smoke and mirrors, but it is close to it. I can't imagine anybody needing it. What interesting is that the write up says that it uses single-ended circuits, so no DSP here or so it seems. We are clearly in the 1970s with this box. Today this function can be done by a several boxes that Behringer sells for a fraction of the cost with better results.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hmmm, I wonder how you'd get "more resonant bass" and at the same time get "tighter bass articulation"? :scratchhead:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

I have one of these in a recording rack. I would gladly pay 10x more for it than the garbage Behringer makes of the same function. It's used in recording and live performances as an compressor/enhancer. It would probably serve no purpose for any playback of recorded material though.
                    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by littlesaint
                      I have one of these in a recording rack. I would gladly pay 10x more for it than the garbage Behringer makes of the same function. It's used in recording and live performances as an compressor/enhancer. It would probably serve no purpose for any playback of recorded material though.
                      Indeed. I could see no use in a home setting. Unless it is in a home recording studio.
                      -Joe

Comment

• Victor
                        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by littlesaint
                        Hmm..what Behringer garbidge are you refering to?

Compressor/enhancer function is a simple matter with a DSP. Unless this device has some exotic dynamic frequency responce contour that Behringer simply does not make, I can see your point, - otherwise, methinks, it'd be difficult to support your positition on merit.

Comment

• Scribblet
                          • Mar 2008

It's in a the same class as a BBE processor. I use and own both in my home studio. I consider it more of a shortcut box. The same effect can be had with a decent expander and parametic eq.

And I echo the sentiments against Behringer as stated above. Comparing Aphex to Behringer is like comparing Classe to Kenwood.

Comment

• joetama
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Scribblet
                            It's in a the same class as a BBE processor. I use and own both in my home studio. I consider it more of an shortcut box. The same effect can be had with a decent expander and parametic eq.

And I echo the sentiments against Behringer as stated above. Comparing Aphex to Behringer is like comparing Classe to Kenwood.
                            I think that is one of the best ways I have ever heard that put.
                            -Joe

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Let's keep "garbage" comments out of this. Comparative comments are fine, but that's not.

HTGuide Administrator

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Victor
                                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Scribblet
                                Comparing Aphex to Behringer is like comparing Classe to Kenwood.
                                I do not think you can support that comment. It seems that you are under impression that Aphex gear is somehow superior. Well, - care to elaborate?

What exactly does Aphex makes or has in its product line that Behringer does not? What makes Aphex better?

As for your Kenwood comment, - naturally Classe is a well-engineered product, but Kenwood no longer serves the home audio market rather concentrating on car audio, so, - you comment is hardly fair.

Comment

• littlesaint
                                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Victor
                                  I do not think you can support that comment. It seems that you are under impression that Aphex gear is somehow superior. Well, - care to elaborate?

What exactly does Aphex makes or has in its product line that Behringer does not? What makes Aphex better?

As for your Kenwood comment, - naturally Classe is a well-engineered product, but Kenwood no longer serves the home audio market rather concentrating on car audio, so, - you comment is hardly fair.
                                  My comment wasn't to compare Aphex to Behringer (sorry about the garbage comment ops: ), but simply that the product mentioned is far superior to Behringer products of the same type. Build quality is better, and in my experience, just plain sounds better. There are some things Behringer does reasonably well, but again in my experience, their processors are not up to the Aphex for what it does.
                                  Santino

Comment

• Scribblet
                                    • Mar 2008

I'm not disputing what Behringer currently offers in their product line... that was never in question. What they do they do well which is offer electronics at an affordable price. I've run Behringer gear in the past from EQs to 16 channel boards. They're noisy, have lousy support and are built like you'd expect something at this price point to be.

Additionally, the claims made by BBE and Aphex aren't fictitious. Studios do use, and have used for quite some time, both products. There's a reason for that. Behringer and Aphex are completely different companies, and if for one second anyone believes otherwise then they are simply in the dark about both. That's not an opinion that I feel I need to support.

Comment

• iiaudio
                                      • Feb 2008

The Behringer units I own sit on the shelf, the Aphex units I own work all the time and make money. I've never seen "Aphex is unacceptable" on a artist rider while on at least 75% of riders I see say that about Behringer (and Mackie).

I'm not saying Behringer doesn't have a place (good stuff for the money) but more often Ahpex units are of better quality.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Behringer is great for home use but I've heard bad things about using it in a situation where its moved a lot.

Comment

• spyboy
                                          • Jun 2005

I have at least one CD that had the Aphex used in it production. I have no idea what exactly the Aphex did. Still, it is nice to see a picture of something I have thought about every once in a while for the past 25 years.

Comment

• Victor
                                            • Apr 2002

I understand that Behringer stuff does not exactly have a stellar reliability reputation. Although the newer 24-bit electronics is much better in this regard, still it has many problems with things are not always working well. However, the cost of Behringer signal-conditioning boxes is so low that it is a no brainer here, - it is the best bang for money, particularly when electronics works, and it does work most of the time.

To say that Behringer gear is somehow deficient in its ability to deliver pretty much anything that the professional recording studio wants is simply wrong. The signal conditioning algorithms that Behringer uses are the same as anyone else’s with minor variations. One particular note here is absents of FIR filtering which is desirable and other companies have that, - I am not sure if Aphex is one of them. However, it is not a major thing. The compressor/expender functionality of Behringer products is the same as what others use in the industry.

With this in mind, one can achieve the same result with Behringer as you can with Aphex or with any other popular brand names. You need to know what you are doing here.

My scepticism of Aphex comes from their advertising of their products. Here is an example and I quote, -

“…Aural Exciter and Big Bottom are single-ended circuits — no decoding is required…”

What exactly do those circuits do if not decode?

“…The Aural Exciter restores the subtle nuances that are often damaged in the recording process. Its patented Transient Discriminate Harmonics Generator determines which parts of the signal need harmonic enhancement while other "enhancers" do not have this intelligence, making their effect much less musical…”

Comments like this are commonly known as a pseudo-techno-speak or techno-babble. It says nothing of substance, while alluding to magical powers. For the record, one cannot do what this statement says electronically and then verify objectively what has been done.

Furthermore,

“…Also, record your stereo masters, CDs, and car tapes through the Model 204 - they will sound better no matter what the source or where you play them back, this even applies to heavily bit rate reduced audio sources such as MP3 files…”

I see, - so now we are into ‘mine is better then yours’ territory. I fail to see how exactly one can make a comment like this without a shred of evidence presented. However, what evidence can possibly be presented here, - none! This is an example of what is commonly known, as Subjective Advertising, where one can say anything at all without any substantiation and get away with it.

Suffice to say that you will not find comments like this coming from dBx and many others or even, these days, Behringer.

Comment

• joetama
                                              • May 2006

Somebody <3 Behringer. :roll:

opcorn:
                                              -Joe

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
                                                • Jun 2002

Thread summary: Users with professional experience prefer the Aphex; users with no professional experience defend the Behringer.

Regards,
                                                Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt
                                                  Users with professional experience prefer the Aphex; users with no professional experience defend the Behringer.
                                                  With this attitude it must be a real drag for you having to moderate the BFD forum on HTS...

BTW, I know numerous people with decades of prosound experience that use Behringer in their home sytems. Obviously no one would reccomend them for touring.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
                                                    • Jun 2002

“Summary” means:
                                                    “I read the entire thread and this is what I observed.”

Regards,
                                                    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt

“Summary” means:
                                                      “I read the entire thread and this is what I observed.”

Regards,
                                                      Wayne A. Pflughaupt
                                                      Your 'observation' is an assumption and it's flawed. One of the "users with no professional experience defend the Behringer" who's posting here, used to design power amps for Bryston.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                        • Jul 2007

Actually, I wouldn't call me a professional by any stretch of the imagination. I just know I've used the Aphex, and I've used similar processors from Behringer, and I believe the Aphex is a much better product in this area. To be honest, when recording these days I prefer to do everything in software on a computer, but if I were performing live, I would use the Aphex.
                                                        Santino

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"