How loud are your normal listening levels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James63
    • Dec 2006

Well I used to only like music at 80db+ but I moved into a paper thin apartment and leaned to like music just as much at 70db. I have a man cave under way in the new house. I still think I will not listen above 75db in the new house (even though I could listen much louder then).

I guess my point is you can train your ears/yourself to enjoy music at less volume. It is not work trashing your ears...

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

I do enjoy music at reasonable levels most of the time.

However, every now and then there is absolutely nothing like a wicked kick (drum) in the chest.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Well I hope you plan to enjoy your hearing but with what I read you might need to use a hearing aid when you get older

Sound pressure is measured in decibels (dB). Like a temperature scale, the decibel scale goes below zero. The average person can hear sounds down to about 0 dB, the level of rustling leaves. Some people with very good hearing can hear sounds down to -15 dB. If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely. If the sound is very quiet, it will not cause damage even if you listen to it for a very long time; however, exposure to some common sounds can cause permanent damage. With extended exposure, noises that reach a decibel level of 85 can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss. Many common sounds may be louder than you thinkā€¦

* A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
        * A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
        * When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
        * A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB Permissible Exposure Time
        85 db 8 hours
        88 dB 4 hours
        91 db 2 hours
        94 db 1 hour
        97 db 30 minutes
        100 db 15 minutes
        103 db 7.5 minutes
        106 dB 3.75 min (< 4min)
        109 dB 1.875 min (< 2min)
        112 dB .9375 min (~1 min)
        115 dB .46875 min (~30 sec)

What is it you say!!!!!!!! By the way reference level is at 82DB I set my processor at 80DB volume max no need to blow my ears off! Quality over quantity!

But the again on an other note, look at the map

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"