X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roteller
    • Nov 2007

Differences in Digital and Analog Audio Cables

Hi, can someone explain the difference between analog cables and digital cables and what applications should the particular cable be used for. ie. dvd,cd,etc. Probably a silly question, but they look the same to me. Would it really matter what cable I used to hook up my euipment with. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Digital cables usually have several layers of shielding. Thats the biggest difference really.When hooking up digital you definitely want something with good shielding. Doug (Lex) sells an awesome digital cable as well as some nice analogs. I've seen and heard the Silvercats and they are excellent and if you need some shielded analog cables the Kingcats are great too. Check out catcables.com

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I'm assuming you mean coaxial digital cables. Coaxial digital cables shoud be just that, a coax. The spec calls for a 75 Ohm coax cable. Analog cable should be a twisted pair of conductors in the cable and at 110 Ohms.

Eric

Comment

• chrispy35
        • Feb 2004

Why would analog cables need to have any characteristic impedance specified? At 20 kHz, the cable length in a system would be considered a lumped circuit. The input impedance on amps/pre-amps etc is certainly higher than 110 ohms.

Chris P.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Moving to the general audio forum as this is not Rotel specific.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"