• frasse74
    • May 2004

xlr to rca

Hi all

i have seen that this subject has been talked about before
    but i have some other questions..
    If you use a balanced cable from your preamp and have the adapter
    on your xlr-cable or is it better to have the adapter on your preamp
    and use a rca cable to your amp? so is there anyone who has tested it before
    and have some ideas...
    Can it be so that the xlr-cable is better then the rca-cable even if you use
    it on short range ..
    I have been looking after some new cables to my system and i have xlr out on my preamp but not on the amp and i wanted to buy the "right" cables.

frasse74
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

See figure 4 here: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by frasse74
      Hi all

i have seen that this subject has been talked about before
      but i have some other questions..
      If you use a balanced cable from your preamp and have the adapter
      on your xlr-cable or is it better to have the adapter on your preamp
      and use a rca cable to your amp? so is there anyone who has tested it before
      and have some ideas...
      Can it be so that the xlr-cable is better then the rca-cable even if you use
      it on short range ..
      I have been looking after some new cables to my system and i have xlr out on my preamp but not on the amp and i wanted to buy the "right" cables.

frasse74
      With any decent, well-constructed cables/adapters, I doubt it will make any difference.

Kal
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• iiaudio
        • Feb 2008

f the length of cable isn't that long and both your pre and amp are single ended (RCA), I'd just use the RCA jacks. If that's not an option and you've more than 10'-15' between component put the RCA adapter on the amp end. The adapter should tie pin 3 to ground just like the Rane article. This will give you the more of the benefits of a balanced line. If the run is short, just buy the cheaper adapter as it won't make any difference.

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Since you are connecting a balanced device to an unbalanced device, the connection between is unbalanced regardless of where the adapter is placed. So, IMO, you don't get the benefit(s) of a balanced line because it's not balanced.

Personally, I'd get some decent quality RCA cables and skip XLR cables - unless you plan on getting an amp with balanced inputs in the near future.

Again, there is no benefit to balanced/XLR cables in the situation you describe, afaik.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

What 99 said, it's unbalanced, the XLR end has no possible benefit other than maybe looking cool because you got a fancy adapter cable. I hate to build them franky. Testing is a real drag, and I don't like to ship untested product.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• frasse74
              • May 2004

My ide was that i would buy good xlr-cables and use them untill i buy
              a amp with xlr-inputs.
              I hoped that if i use one of those adapter i wold not having any problems or that
              things would sound worse then before, the "cool" factor hasent i looked at all i just listen and hear instead...
              I had found some good xlr-cables at home and i had some thoughts before to buy them
              but now i have to look at some other place for RCA cables who fits me.

frasse74

Comment

• cug
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by frasse74
                My ide was that i would buy good xlr-cables and use them untill i buy a amp with xlr-inputs.
                So, why not. But it normally only makes sense if the connection to the amp is longer than a couple of feet and you think you might get a benefit from the more robust (signal wise) XLR connection as soon as you have the new amp.

We have build dozens of these adaptors in my old company and while they won't provide you with a balanced connection they definitely connect one system with the other without much trouble, as long as they are well done.

The real question is, whether you get any benefit from XLR cables at all ...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"