X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Main Speakers in room corners ?

Lets say all other audio factors are equal. How would you grade the placement of main speakers in a corner (positioned equally from each wall of the corner pointing toward center of room) vs. placement from a straight wall side?

I guess what I am asking is, if given the opportunity, provided the situation allowed for it, is the corner a good spot for mains?
  • Hamblis
    • Dec 2007

I believe that corners are a bad place for main speakers as the sound becomes muddy and congested. I think it was Roy Cardas who published this as a guideline for ideal speaker placement: Height of room in inches X 0.618 = distance from front wall to speaker; width of room in inches X 0.276 = distance from side walls to speakers. In my room, that's extreme (as my wife said...) but it's a good starting point. A second one is the equilateral triangle where your seating position is roughly the same as the distance between the speakers.

Of course, for every "rule" there are exceptions. Audio Note recommend corner positioning their speakers to load the room - you can find a review of this at Stereophile and I think the reviewer was Art Dudley. He loved the speakers and had them as a reference but John Atkinson was unconvinced...

Steve

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Placing speakers in a corner like that will cause a huge boost in the bass produced by the speaker creating the boominess or muddy. It will also wreak havoc on your imaging when listening to 2 channel music.

I'd say only do it if you have no other choice.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
        It depends on the speaker and the room. Generally, full range speakers are voiced for non-corner placement. Usually suitable corners are so far apart that the center image falls apart.

As noted above, corners enhance the bass coupling into the room. This can disturb the careful balance the designer intended between the drivers. But this can be an advantage in certain situations. For example, many horn type systems are designed for corner placement (Klipchorn's) and REL subwoofers are intended for corner placement.

So, the answer is generally no but sometimes yes. Like most things in HI FI definitive answers are rare. In and of itself, corners are good for bass. But it is a special case that most speakers don't like.

Sparky

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by timetohunt
          provided the situation allowed for it
          Hmmm... I detect a WAF problem.

It is dependent on the room as suggested above, but only by sheer luck and coincidence would cornered speakers sound right.

The two serious considerations of sonic presentation and home decor are always at odds... tough to achieve one without compromising the other.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Unless the speaker was designed for corner placement (Klipsch Horns, Bose 901's come to mind), it would be a no-no. For those of us utizing Electrostatic di-poles it would be even worse.
            Dave

Comment

• dknightd
              • Mar 2006

I think it depends on what you consider to be "in" the corner. A couple of feet away can make all the difference in the world. Very few speakers work well actually in the corner - but many work well placed a few feet away. To find out what works best for you, you really need to try both setups - for me I've always had better luck placing the speakers near the short wall - I think this is because then I can listen in a seat that is not crammed up against the "rear" wall (and the speakers do not have to be crammed againts the front wall). Try both setups - choose the one you like - there is not right answer. Speaker and listener position in a room can make a huge difference, don't be afraid to experiment and pick what works best for you.

Comment

• frasse74
                • May 2004

Hi

In Sweden we have Carlsson/Sonab speaker and they are made to stand in corners
                hp://www.carlssonplanet.com/index.php?lang=en&
                and there is a another page here hp://www.larsenhifi.com/larsen4.htm
                but it are only in swedish, Audio pro has also a cornerspeaker here
                hp://www.audiopro.com/templates/audio_pro_products/?id_products=169

frasse74

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"