X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

Getting 20 AMP Designated Lines

Guys I am having two 20 AMP designated lines installed for my MC501's. Is there anything I need to do on my end to be ready to plug the MC501's into the new lines. New Power cords or change anything on the amps ? The amps still have the original power cords that came from McIntosh. I think their fine .
    Glenee
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

I think you mean "dedicated." You don't have to change anything.

what you are doing is installing a dedicated set of wires from each receptacle to a dedicated breaker in your breaker box. Nothing else is connected to these breakers. A 20A receptacle adds a small side slot to one of the vertical slots. This allows for a 20A cable to plug in, but doesn't matter to a standard power cord. If you have any other questions, just send me a PM and I can give you some links to photos of the receptacles etc.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hi,

I am moving this to our Audio area as it is not B&W related and you will get a nice range of advice there

Geoff

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Make sure that your electrician installs both dedicated lines to the same 120V leg in the panel. Any other dedicated lines feeding other components in the same system should also be on that same leg.

Comment

• hd99yr
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Glen B
          Make sure that your electrician installs both dedicated lines to the same 120V leg in the panel. Any other dedicated lines feeding other components in the same system should also be on that same leg.
          I'm curious as to why that would matter? I have two dedicated lines to two different amps.
          " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Pookie007
            • Apr 2006

You typically have 2 of the 3 (120V) phases of the neighborhood electrical distribution brought in your house. This allows you to combine them to get 240V for your air conditioner etc. Say if you have phase A, and phase B in your electrical panel, Glen is recommending you want to wire both dedicated circuits from either phase A or phase B and avoid having one on A and the other on B. Doing this is not a problem for any qualified electrician. This eliminates any problems that could be caused by a difference between the two phases since the equipment will be interconnected.

Comment

• hd99yr
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pookie007
              You typically have 2 of the 3 (120V) phases of the neighborhood electrical distribution brought in your house. This allows you to combine them to get 240V for your air conditioner etc. Say if you have phase A, and phase B in your electrical panel, Glen is recommending you want to wire both dedicated circuits from either phase A or phase B and avoid having one on A and the other on B. Doing this is not a problem for any qualified electrician. This eliminates any problems that could be caused by a difference between the two phases since the equipment will be interconnected.
              Thank you! I hope mine are in the same line. In my case I have a mc-402 and a cav-180 for the surround so balanced power might not be as big of a deal for me.
              " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• Pookie007
                • Apr 2006

If you don't have a noise problem the way it is wired, than it doesn't matter what phases the breakers are connected to. If you are getting noise than it is one option to look at. If you have a power conditioner it is probably stripping the noise anyways, so it shouldn't matter. But if you are starting from scratch, it is a no cost way to eliminate a possibility of a problem that most likely doesn't exist.

Comment

• Fred333
                  • Oct 2007

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
                  Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"