X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Foot Loose & SQ Free

I recently completed a pair of Jon Marsh designed Natalie P speakers with help of all the great folks on our DIY forum here. They are about 95% complete, and I have been listening to them for a few months. I also made stands for them, and bought high quality brass cone-shaped feet with V sharp points. My floors are 100 yo oak, BTW.

I have spent a fair amount of time playing with speaker position, and consequently was moving them a lot. Not so easy a task, as they are 65 litre towers and weigh nearly 70 lbs. I have them placed in a location that seems near optimal based on my personal liking, but about a week ago, placed the little brass discs that came with the brass feet under the points to help ease the task of making slight adjustment to toe and distance from the wall. Since that time, I had not done any serious listening, mostly just a little TV on a few evenings. Yesterday, I sat down for a little ‘session’, and the first thing I said to my self was “what the heck happened to my nice system? Where did the dynamics go? Where was that tight, controlled in your gut bass I had grown so fond of”?

Then it dawned on me! I took the discs from under the feet and suddenly the music came alive again.

I never have felt I had a very discerning ear as far as audiophiles go, but I sure could tell a difference, and I mean a big difference. Maybe I am developing a more acute sense for my system, but I never thought such seemingly small ‘tweak’ could have such a dramatic impact.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 27 May 2007, 17:48 Sunday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

To disc or not to disc, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler. . .

Sorry WK, got sidetracked there. :B Yeah, isn't it amazing what some tweaks can do for your system? I don't know about some things like placing little blocks of various kinds of wood on top of your speakers or components, or tightening the screws that hold the sheetrock to your walls to a certain torque (No kidding! This was a hot topic on a site), but coupling/de-coupling/isolating speakers and componentry can have a noticable (read demonstrable) effect on your system's output.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
      To disc or not to disc, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler. . .
      I think thou doust kid too much....... :
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"