X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave999
    • Mar 2007

High End Turntables Sound Quality

I have just been at the Home Entertainment show in New York and wanted to get some opinions on how significant the differences are between the ultra high end turntables like a Continuum Audio Labs turntable (which sounded incredible) but which was $50,000 plus without tone arm or cartridge and a turntable set up for $5,000 or in that range. Is the difference in the 10% type range or night and day? Thanks.
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

The various turntable, arm, cartridge, phono pre-amp combinations can make a significant difference to the sound of playback. Like speakers, it can be a difference that you notice right away. Each of the components in the vinyl playback chain can contribute in a significant way to the end result. The good news is, that like speakers, more expensive doesn't always mean a sound you will like more.
    The goal of the turntable is two fold. One, to play at the proper speed. Two, to have no vibration that doesn't come from the record surface. To understand the difficulty of producing the two together takes a minor understanding of how motors work, which you can find easily on the internet. Without going into details I am going to skip right to why belt drive, why direct drive? Direct drive produces the most accurate continuous speed but, it is easy to understand that it also sends the most vibration up to the cartridge. Belt drive seperates the motor from the turntable so there is less vibration but, at the sacrifice of accurate continuous speed. The more expensive turntables have found a way to produce direct drive without a increase in vibration. A very difficult and expensive thing to do. Inexpensive direct drive turntables produce a lot of vibration, hence a inaccurate playback.
    Having said why the high end turntables cost so much, is the difference significant? Yes, but, for $5000 you can get a great belt drive turntable that would satisfy you for life and only a side by side comparison would show the difference. One of the nice things about turntables and vinyl, if properly taken care of, they will last your lifetime. So, I would say that the difference between a really good belt dirive tt and a expensive direct drive tt is not night and day but, more than 10% better.
    One more thing. Since vinly playback starts by reading vibrations, what you place it on is very important. Unlike for digital gear and electronics, racks and platforms and other "tweaks" can not be considered snake oil. They are important. Good vinyl playback is complex and takes more effort than digital , which is a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your personality.
    Like anybody in any hobby, I have my likes and dislikes. I think this is a very, very, good tt for around $5000: http://teresaudio.com/t-265.html
    Last edited by Bob; 13 May 2007, 08:55 Sunday.

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dave999
      Is the difference in the 10% type range or night and day? Thanks.
      The problem trying this approach is that to many audiophiles, a 10% difference (not sure how to quantify that) would be classified as night and day.

Only you can really decide if it's worth it or not.

I'd think any comparison would not be too meaningful unless both TTs were at least using the same cartridge both were set up properly.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Nov 2005

I have just been at the Home Entertainment show in New York and wanted to get some opinions on how significant the differences are between the ultra high end turntables like a Continuum Audio Labs turntable (which sounded incredible) but which was $50,000 plus without tone arm or cartridge and a turntable set up for $5,000 or in that range. Is the difference in the 10% type range or night and day? Thanks.
        HI Dave,
        As said above, I don't know how to quantify TT differences. I only know what I hear and our ears seem to be very sensitive to various TT performance elements.

I own a $5000+ turntable (Oracle Delphi V) plus a Graham 2.2 Deluxe arm and a Clearaudio Discovery cartridge. It's an expensive package and it sounds great to my ears.

Every time I have upgraded my turntable system I have heard improvement. But I have never heard a $50,000 set-up or really anything even close. I have no way of evaluating or even to have expectations. Since I live by the adage that you get what you pay for, I guess I would expect improved performance. That's always been the case.

But this all is too hypothetical. Even if I heard a night and day difference (which I doubt) I could not afford the equipment. I would love to have the experience though if for no other reason that to be able to say that I have heard it and I have seen the face of God.

For me this is a question without an answer.

Sparky

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

My reply mirrors that of Sparky's , so for that I say ditto !!
          Dave

Comment

• Dave999
            • Mar 2007

Thanks for the input. The $50,000 plus was also just for the turntable, not including the mount, arm, aartridge, and other related equipment. It sounded incredible, but is way out of my price range. One of the things that I am trying to figure out is can you get most of the benefit of the medium, with a substantially samller investment?

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

One of the things that I am trying to figure out is can you get most of the benefit of the medium, with a substantially samller investment?
              The answer is yes, absolutely.

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

One of the things that I am trying to figure out is can you get most of the benefit of the medium, with a substantially samller investment?

As Sparky and I have already said, and to agree with Bob.........ABSOLUTELY !!!

Myself , like Sparky have been into analog a long time, 46 years for me.
                Pick up the most recent issue of 'The Absolute Sound', for it is dedicated to analog. Lots of interesting info in it that hopefully will help you with recomendations, etc.
                Dave

Comment

• Dave999
                  • Mar 2007

Thanks guys.

Comment

• baztroy
                    • May 2007

Hello - I have a Roksan Xerxes / SME V arm (both purchased in the early 1990's) and a new Goldring cartridge. I'm not sure how much my gear would cost these days, but would agree with the earlier posting - buy something that you like and you'll keep it for life. The aid to enjoyment is good software (records), a pre-amp that is sympathetic to moving coil analogue inputs and a balanced sound system that takes advantage of the medium. Cheers, Graham

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"