• Feb 2007

hooking two speaker wire together

hello
    I am trying to setup my speaker wires
    but I ended up having two speaker wires that are
    too short
    I have two 15 feet and thinking to join them together
    to get 30 feet
    if I do that will that worst my sound quality>?
    thanks
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

If it ust be that long that would be fine. Use a western Union Splice for a good connection.
    Attached Files
    Greg

Comment

• bananastylez
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GregLett
      If it ust be that long that would be fine. Use a western Union Splice for a good connection.
      hello thanks for the reply
      so after doing the western union splice
      do I just tape it with duct tape
      to prevent it from touching other wires?

thanks

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by bananastylez
        hello thanks for the reply
        so after doing the western union splice
        do I just tape it with duct tape
        to prevent it from touching other wires?

thanks
        No, don't use duct tape, unless you have no other choice, the adhesive glue may cause issues down the road. Just purchase some electrical tape (3M-#33, I believe is good quality).

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Shrink tube works and doesn't unravel. I would also solder that connection , if possible.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• GregLett
            • May 2005

YEP. No duct tape,and solder if you can.
            Greg

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Electrical tape will work just fine if you don't have access to shrinkwrap and/or a soldering gun.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

Twisting them together should be fine, at least for awhile. I'd seriously consider splurging and getting a piece of wire that is 30' long. That way if your stereo sounds wrong in a few years you won't have to worry about it being caused by your splice.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Ok , I have to ask. Twisting them together??? Is this the same sub-culture (audiophilliae) that frets over the purity of 110 acv? That thinks nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on cables?
                  I know from personal experience that there are electronic gizmos out there that don't function properly if you even solder a connection in the current path. Hell , I've seen Harley turn signal modules not work properly because an AutoZone bulb was used in one indicator. I stand by my recommendation-solder,solder,solder. Best solution , though , is one continuous wire. If you're not trying to repair an expensive cable , go to HomeDepot and get a roll of "speaker" wire.
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Well, you have to look at the situation. If a member is asking in the context of what will work and they're on a restricted budget, the answer will be different from a member that has a lot of capital to throw at a solution.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
                      Well, you have to look at the situation. If a member is asking in the context of what will work and they're on a restricted budget, the answer will be different from a member that has a lot of capital to throw at a solution.
                      True. I only meant to encourage a better connection than a wire nut.My HTIB has HomeDepot speaker wire-that's how I know it's cheap! My budget is very restricted , but I forgot not everyone has a soldering iron laying around the house. Given the circumstances , yeah , a tight wrap will get the sound from A to B-and that's what it's all about anyway. Given my modest budget , I should have known better. ops:
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• GregLett
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                        True. I only meant to encourage a better connection than a wire nut.My HTIB has HomeDepot speaker wire-that's how I know it's cheap! My budget is very restricted , but I forgot not everyone has a soldering iron laying around the house. Given the circumstances , yeah , a tight wrap will get the sound from A to B-and that's what it's all about anyway. Given my modest budget , I should have known better. ops:

Actuall what I sugessted is better than a wire nut. Note I gave instructions for a specific type of splice.
                        Greg

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Humbly , what you suggested doesn't even have the value of compressing the connection-as a wire nut does. The WE splice is for strength against a pulling force , not efficient transfer of signal. WE came up with that for repairing telegraph wires.If you must join wires instead of a contiguous run , solder is the best method. I realize I'm way down the ladder on audio knowledge , but I diagnose , repair , and oversee electronic repair on a daily basis. Also , making the solder melt is only the beginning. The best soldering method is to make the pieces being connected hot enough to melt the solder-not just touching the solder with an iron. It's welding , joining the pieces together as one piece , not just gluing them together. My $.02
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• stevo238
                            • Apr 2006

When making any kind of repair, and if at all possible, a mechanical connection and solder is the best repair. IBM rule book.

Comment

• bananastylez
                              • Feb 2007

hey guys
                              thanks for the info
                              I had twisted and solder it together
                              but I was not able to test it out yet
                              since my basement is not done yet
                              lets hope it works

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

all glue adhevises can break down over time, do NOT use duct tape, it's adhesion is the worst possible over time IMO. Electrical tape after heat shrink. Preferred is shrinking heat shrink over it. Actually, I'd probably tape it first, then shrink it.
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• whoaru99
                                  • Jul 2004

It's welding , joining the pieces together as one piece , not just gluing them together. My $.02
                                  Actually, soldering is not welding. Welding is a fusion process of melting the parent/base metals together with or without a filler. Soldering is, IMO, more similar to gluing - albeit a very hot hot-melt glue.

I do fully agree though, that there is more to a good solder joint than just putting a blob of "glue" on a couple wires.
                                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

For the record...

The proper way to join two pieces of multi-strand wire is as follows:
                                    Splay the strands at each end of the joint , then mesh them together . After twisting the strands around the joint (tight wrap) , heat the joint from the bottom with the soldering iron. Touch the solder to the wire-when the wire is hot enough to melt the solder it will run into the joint like liquid (which it is at that point). With this method there is a molecular bonding (on the suface , at least) between the solder and the wire , creating more of a "single piece" as opposed to using solder a metal "glue".
                                    It is , tecnically , brazing instead of welding but it provides a superior joint and conductivity. Anyone who has ever sweated copper tubing will be familiar with the process/results. Glue ain't gonna seal the high pressure side of an air conditioning system. :W
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"