X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Why Not Professional Audio for us all ?

I am just getting back into learning about stereo and audio gear. In the past many years most of my money has gone to CDs and Concert DVDs (I have a very nice collection of Rock and Jazz). I was using a cheap late 70s Sherwood Reciever/Amp and some large but cheap Jenson speakers. This did not shorten my enjoyment of music, I jammed out none the less. But as far as gear goes - I'm back - and ready to upgrade. Money is an issue but I might be able to spend as much as 3 grand (at the most for now). I have been looking into home audio equipment and I will have many more questions as I research..... But I have been wondering this: Why don't many audiofiles purchase "Pro Audio" equipment? What I mean by "Pro Audio" is the same type of Amps and Mixers that bands and DJs use for stage PA and Club performance. I like it loud and live where I can turn it up as loud as I want. I was considering buying a "pro audio" yamaho amp/mixer, going with some good PA speakers on poles. And not sure if this is the right term but "crossed over" with bass speakers. All rugged pro-ready stuff and I could hook my guitar, mike and bass up to it. Its not that much more expensive then the home audio stuff they are selling (some is actually less expensive). I am a 2-channel guy for the most part and realize that much of the "pro audio" is not decoding audio formats. But other than that what is the reason this is not considered more often among you audiofiles. Thanks, and I am new, hope this is not a stupid question.
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Pro audio speakers aren't designed to reproduce music. They produce the sounds. You will be much better off with speakers designed to reproduce music. If money is an issue and you can build a box and solder I'd recommend going through the Mission Accomplished area and find some speakers you can build yourself. This will save you alot of money.

Pro audio amps, although I've never used them, should work fine. The one problem many of them have is that they use fans to help cool them. Fans obviously make noise and convection cooling is totally quiet. Crown K2 amps are relatively popular because these pro amps have no fans, are made well and perform well. Crown is also known for good longetivity and reliability.

IF you can't build your own speakers at least buy used. At least that is what I recommend. There's a site called Audiogon that has alot of good audio equipment for sale. Even though the good audio gear is used it's usually well designed and made. Also owners tend to take good care of their equipment. With 3k you'll be able to put together a nice sounding system.

One thing most people tend to overlook is room acoustics. Acoustics have a profound effect on sound quality. Room treatments can be made very inexpensively and help your sound quality alot. Bass traps are a necessity in any room with walls. You can also purchase room treatments. Even paying for commercial traps and treatments the return of sound quality on your investment is typically very good to excellent. This is where I would START.

After 35 years in this hobby I'm convinced SS amps don't have enough of a sonic signature to worry about most of the time. Rotel, Parasound and a few others offer very good build,design and sound quality for the money. In your price range this is where I'd look.

Speakers are so subjective only you can say what sound you like best. Two speaker systems each costing 1500 may sound excellent. The thing is they will also usually sound quite different. Which one is better only you can answer. Read reviews of owners and try to get an idea of the sound of the various models.

I'd not spend any significant money on any interconnect or speaker wire. It's bull crap that they make enough of a sonic difference to pay any more than what someone like Blue Jeans cables or even Radio Shack charges. My system is over 15k somewhere and I use home made interconnects and speaker wire. They work as well as 10k dollar wires I can assure you.

The source can make a significant improvement in the sound but they are very similar.

Bottom line is to spend the most money on room acoustics and speakers. One of the mods here has this site: http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw-2/S...ndEQpage9.html
    The site has excellent pics of bass traps and room treatments you can make yourself. If you buy commercial traps I'd look at Realtraps.com. They cost a little more than some but also give you much more for the money. Whatever you do please research this aspect of sound because it is very important.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Comment

• Shawn Parr
      • Feb 2006

I concur. I actually work with pro equipment in my day job. Except in some very rare cases I would not use PA designed speakers for home reproduction. There are specific challenges and goals around designing PA speakers that make them less than ideal for perfect reproduction. For instance dispersion and off-axis rejection are a major concern (for maximum gain before feedback). Utilizing horns, waveguides, and other technologies to achieve these goals cause phase distortions which will be minimized in a speaker designed for playback which are not as concerned about the feedback issue.

Now if you want to look at pro monitor speakers, you may find some really cool stuff, especially the pro stuff from Dynaudio, Tannoy (I have a set of System800s in my studio), Meyer, and Genelec.

Pro amps are really great, as they often will have a bit more power and in some cases better damping than consumer models in their price range. As already mentioned, fans could be an issue, as well as size and appearance, as well as in most cases needing 3 or more amps for a surround type system.

I also wouldn't get a mixer for my home listening system. I don't even have one in my studio (I'm a Protools guy). There is a lot of extra circuitry that your audio will have to go through which are also meant to solve problems which you are likely not to have. If you are concerned about EQ there are more elegant solutions, especially considering the phase distortion of EQs in affordable mixers. Of course if you want to spend $10k+ on a mixer, well, when can I come to play?

In reality, unless you have a very complicated setup, a pre/pro or receiver from a reputable company will cost the same or less, allow for more 'streamlined workflow,' and will probably be more 'pure' sounding, although many would have difficulty telling the difference unless you really mess up your gain structure or start messing with EQs.

Also as mentioned before, look into acoustic treatments. Typically with a playback system you will get a much better overall sound fixing the room acoustically than with EQ. Not to mention most EQs I've dealt with have had a major impact on the stereo imaging.

Comment

• timetohunt
        • Feb 2007

Thank you very much for pointing me in right direction. From your posts, I have these questions: What are "SS" amps ? And..about speaker wire. One of the first things I did in preparation for my new system was I ran speaker wire through walls and ceilings and have put binding posts on wall outlets through various parts of the 'main listenting room' and also single set upstairs. I used 16 gauge 'high grade' speaker wire from Lowes. I hope that is OK because it was one heck of job getting all that fished through the walls. Don't want to do it again.

Comment

• Dean100
          • Jan 2007

"SS" amps are Solid State opposed to Tube based amps. The 16 gauge wire may be fine depending on how long your runs are. Many people here use 12 or 14 gauge wire depending on the length of the runs.

How loud do you listen? Have you ever measured it with an SPL meter?

Do you sit and listen to music much or is this used more for party's where you want to be able to crank it up and get a feeling of being in a club?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"