X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

how to make SVS subwoofer less boomy

okay.. i am trying to figure out a way to make my SVS subwoofer sound less boomy.

I have it setup with a rythmik 350 watt plate amp. I have the damping set to high and the boost set to the losest setting possible. I have twisted the phase knob in both directions, and set the cross over on the plate amp to 160 with the cross over on the reciever set to 90, should I lower the cross over on the reciever?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Boominess is a function of room acoustics/reflection moreso than the performance of the sub itself. The location of the sub within the room is a factor as well. Try moving the sub around and see if it makes a difference. Pull it away from the corner if it's in a corner. Acoustic room treatments to reduce reflections can help too. If all else fails, a parametric EQ such as a BFD can help as well.

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

BFD + dB meter & tone generator or Velodyne SMS-1 pEQ.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I use a BFD for my dual SVS subs, but even without it, never thought they were boomy. I agree that it's room placement and acoustical treatment.

No, don't need to adjust the crossover. Somewhere near the typical 80 Hz should be fine.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• clearwaterms
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
          I use a BFD for my dual SVS subs, but even without it, never thought they were boomy. I agree that it's room placement and acoustical treatment.

No, don't need to adjust the crossover. Somewhere near the typical 80 Hz should be fine.
          thank you everybody for the help. I did confirm that my crossover was set at 80hz, and found out I could increase the damping on my subwoofer amplifier, by doing that and setting the filter to 28hz. I then moved it about 18"~2" from each wall (had it in the corner prior) and it integrates much better now...

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"