X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A Music Server In The House

Santa brought me a rather neat present. It's a Roku Labs Soundbridge, model M1001. It's a music server that allows me to stream digital music from the hard drive of my PC to my main sound system. It also lets me stream Internet radio stations too. For what it's worth, I'd never heard of this company or its products before receiving this present.

Opening the packaging and looking at the unit, I was a bit skeptical as to its capabilities as it is only a 2.5" diameter cylinder that's about 11" long. It's a matt silver color with black end caps and sits on a heavy non-skid rubber base piece. It has a bit-mapped LCD display across the front and a remote that is "minimalist" in layout (more on that later). The only input connection is a Cat5-type port. The other choice is wireless and the unit comes already set-up for that. There are three output choices consisting of L/R RCA, Toslink and digital coax. Oh, I've included an image of the Soundbridge at the bottom of this post.

My home PC rig is wireless via a LinkSys WRT54GS router. I have a 300GByte external drive mapped through the router as drive M. This drive contains all of my 638 CDs which I had ripped to WMA lossless files via Windows Media Player 10. I’m currently using Media Player 11 for playing/playlisting.

Set-up was simplicity itself for the most part. I verified that everything was running properly on the PC-side of things then got down to business. I place the Soundbridge on its heavy rubber stand on top of my Dish DVR/decoder and within cable-reach of my Musical Fidelity A324 DAC. I used the digital coax output on the Soundbridge and ran it into the DAC using one of (warning: shameless plug) Lex’s 1m CATCable digital coax cables. I plugged the wall-wart power supply into my surge protector/conditioner and then into the Soundbridge and waited on the unit to boot. As it booted, it found the wireless signal and as I’m using WEP encryption it prompted me for the key. The unit stores the key which eliminates you having to re-key it if you lose power for some reason or other. After inputting the key it continued on its merry way for another minute and then found all the albums, artists and playlists I had resident on my internal hard drive. It turns out that you have to open up the permissions on a mapped drive to allow it to share its content with the Soundbridge. Once I’d done that I had to re-boot the Soundbridge to get it to see the mapped drive. After re-booting everything showed up and away I went. I haven’t had time to do any serious A/B comparisons between the lossless files and the CDs themselves, but I can say that in casual listening the sound quality sounds VERY good. I’ll post more on this after I get a chance to do some extended “quality” listening.

For owner/user support there is a technical support group and also a forum you can access on the Roku Labs website which turned out to be a good resource when I needed a fast answer on the mapped drive problem.

I only have one real gripe about this component and that is the remote. It’s an extremely basic item that doesn’t even have a keypad on it. For example: to enter in the network encryption key, or any other data not on a pick list, you have to scroll through a list of numbers/letters shown on the face of the Soundbridge itself, choosing each one individually with the Select key on the remote! Talk about a pain. But that’s it. That’s the only negative I’ve come up with to date.

Possibly the best part of this is the price. I’d been looking at Olive’s line of servers at $1,000 and up. I’d been looking at Sonos’ line at $700 and up. So, I figured that most everything was going for something close to that, but no (yes, yes, I know, mine was a present). To purchase this system for yourself, the retail price is $199! So, if you are looking for a cost-effective way of getting your digital music library into play (pun intended) on your sound system, then be sure to check this little gem out. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Again, I’ll get back with more info later on how the digital files sound in comparison to their direct CD parents.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Dean100
    • Jan 2007

David-

I find this post very interesting and look forward to hearing your thoughts after you get to spend some more listening time.

For the last several months I have done more and more reading about streaming music to an audio system from a computer. Have heard about Slim Devices Squeezebox and will now have to look into the Roku Soundbridge.

I guess that the first place to start with is to get my music (500 plus CD's) into a lossless format. Flac looks like it might be a good one to start with.

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
      • Sep 2006

Picked one of these up myself a few months back (they had a $50 off on-line special). I intended to use it to stream ripped mp3s from a pc, but I have been sucked into internet radio and find I have been listening to that more than the mp3s.

I agree with David that setup was pretty simple, and that the remote isn't the best - but that's what universals are for

For internet radio, I have been bouncing between

Blues Radio UK, Smokey Drawer, Radio Paradise, Dainbramage, and Rockabilly Radio

If anyone is interested, I can post the URLs.

Comment

• riceaterslc
        • Aug 2006

this thing looks great. like others, i was looking at the Olive' units, then figured i could build a PC to do the same thing for less, but at $200 this is hard to beat. how is the sound quality of the internet radio stations?
        chris

Comment

• spyboy
          • Jun 2005

I guess I am just behind the times. I still have my eye on the Sony 400 disc DVD changer for $305.

Comment

• generallupo
            • Mar 2007

if you are looking for a wireless music system you might also consider the logitec system. I chose it over the roku because of the remote display and ipod like operability. and only $50 more.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
              • Dec 2006

I'm with Spyboy, I've daisy chained two of the 400 disc players, and have my eye on a third, as it plays DVD's and CD's.

I'm techno-lame.
              Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Gotta say that wireless streaming is the way to go. The Soundbridge a very attractive device. I never heard it but it looks and sounds the part. The Squeezebox is another great device - so much so Logitech bought them out. The Transporter is something that I'd really consider too. I'd really want to audition it first, though the review in Positive Feedback has pricked my ears.

slim devices, transporter, digital, media, music, network, positive feedback, audio

V.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Robert W
                  • Jan 2007

The Squeezebox's are wonderful products. I have 2 SB 3's in the house and almost never use a CD player anymore. Highly recommended product. Even for the techno challenged they really are fairly simple to set up, and once you experience the convenience and sound quality you'll give up your CDP. For me I had well over 1000 CD's in a rack against a wall. (Ugly, space killing rack) All of them, and more, now reside as FLAC files on a 1 TB Raid 5 server. There is a Transporter going into our new media room....but no CD player. They're that good....really.

BTW, Internet radio stations are not bad, but limited to bandwidth. Most are still 128k streams, with some going as high as 192k. So if you like the sound quality of a an MP3 at 128 or 192 they are fine. For me, living where I do, internet radio is a win win. We get NO over the air radio at all, and Satellite radio (32 or 64k stream at most) sucks, so Internet radio is a great medium as far as I'm concerned. Quality aside, it also allows me to find and experience new music that I could never find, even when I lived in an urban environment with dozens of radio stations.
                  Outlaw 990, Outlaw 7700, Axiom M80's, EP600, VP150, QS8's, M&K MX200, SB3, Denon 2910, Hitachi 55" Plasma

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                    • Dec 2006

David, how does it sound???

I want one! I don't want one if the SQ is poor though.

(since, as noted in other posts, my new furniture does not have the space to hold my cd players. le sigh)
                    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• Spearmint
                      • Sep 2004

David the Roku looks like a nice unit, especially for the price. I went for the Sonos for some different reasons the main one being it can access a NAS drive directly so no PC’s required for playback.

Thelonious, I can’t comment on the Roku, but can comment on the Sonos, I have ripped about a quarter of my CD collection so far using FLAC. Although the replayed sound is good, it does lack the sparkle of the same track played directly off the CD in my system. However for casual listening the reproduced sound is great. I do wonder if CD players add something to the mix, or if the extraction of uncompressed files off hard drives does have some issues.

The biggest bonus of all this is I set it for random play, and get to listen to tracks and albums that I’ve basically forgotten about, and at times after hearing a song, I’ll get the particular album and sit down for some nice relaxing listening.
                      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Spearmint
                        The biggest bonus of all this is I set it for random play, and get to listen to tracks and albums that I’ve basically forgotten about, and at times after hearing a song, I’ll get the particular album and sit down for some nice relaxing listening.
                        I second this! I have the Olive Musica, and have ripped my whole CD (and CD portion of hybrid SACDs) to FLAC. The random play is better than any radio station, 'cause they're all my favorite songs!

On the Musica, I do not notice a difference between playing the CD and playing the FLAC file stored on the hard disk.
                        Brad

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

FWIW, there is a review of the Roku in the latest issue of 'Stereophile'.
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Like Richard, I have to admit that there's a little something missing from the digital copies vs. the CD. It's not a lot, just enough that it's audible as a difference. I can't really verbalize it but I do hear it. Psychosomatic? Maybe, but I don't think so. In casual listening, there's no discernable difference. Am I still happy with the Roku? You betcha!

I haven't read the review even though the mag is sitting on my bedside table. Maybe tonight. . . .

Having said all that, I would like the opportunity to try (read own) an Olive Musica or especially the Opus and see if I can hear the same thing.

Comment

• birdman71
                              • Nov 2006

The Roku doesn't offer bit-perfect playback. From what I've read on their forums, the older models did, but the newer M1001 does not. Here's a link to some of the discussions on their forums:

The squeezebox does offer bit-perfect digital output and they are having a spring "White Sale" right now.

Comment

• JDH
                                • Sep 2004

The Roku is cheaper, however I'll still be looking at buying a 2nd Squuezebox 3 too.

JDH.

Originally posted by birdman71
                                The Roku doesn't offer bit-perfect playback. From what I've read on their forums, the older models did, but the newer M1001 does not. Here's a link to some of the discussions on their forums:

The squeezebox does offer bit-perfect digital output and they are having a spring "White Sale" right now.
                                Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

After 5+ months of living with my Soundbridge it's time to wrap things up. A couple of days ago I switched my CD transport back into the system as the source feeding my Musical Fidelity DAC. Having grown accustomed to the "sound" from the Soundbridge I was then able to tell just how much quality I'd lost by using it - and it was a LOT. Much more than I thought I'd lost to be frank about it.

It was a nice diversion and has definitely shown me that a music server is the way of the future (near, I hope) for me as far as accessibility is concerned, but it's got to be one that puts out better sound. Now, if Olive will just drop the price on a full-tilt Opus. . . .

Comment

• Club1820
                                    • Jan 2006

I recently purchased my 2nd Squeezebox and started converting my cds to Lossless Flac Files. Very good sound quality. Not that far off from the CD + CD Player.

I love my squeezeboxes.
                                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Yeah, that's what I've been guessing/assuming about music servers, David. Sorry to hear it wasn't a bit better of a result for you.
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• OttoMatic
                                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by David Meek
                                        After 5+ months of living with my Soundbridge it's time to wrap things up.
                                        Hi David,

So do you think it was the Soundbridge itself that was causing the problem? I see above that someone indicated that it doesn't do bit perfect playback (some type of compression? I hope not!), and you may have seen the Stereophile review a few months ago that didn't have much nice to say about the Soundbridge... I noticed you mentioned the Olive, so perhaps you think that that would be a better sounding solution.

I'm using FLACs on a server to an "HTPC" using Winamp to play and a Toslink connection to my Cary Cinema 11 and it sounds the same as a CD/DVD player straight into the Cary (as it theoretically should).

I wonder if you just had a mediocre experience with one particular product.
                                        -- Otto
                                        Misc Pics

Comment

• Hdale85
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

I'm using toslink with my onboard sound card. I have my cd's all in FLAC on my pc and It sounds just as good as through my Yammy DVD player. After I build my outboard DAC I expect sound to improve a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"