X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xyzsurf
    • Jul 2005

Can't decide what to do... help!

I'm looking at replacing my Onkyo 6-disc changer (finally...!) with a single-disc. Looking to spend around $300, give or take a wee bit.

I've looked at some from Cambridge, Rotel, etc. Buying used is seeming like a good idea for the much moolah.

I have an opportunity to buy a Rotel RCD-971, which I know is an excellent player that has been lauded many times for its sound/build quality at the price level. Its in A+ condition, comes with original box/manual, yadda yadda.

What you guys think I should do?? Any other options? It will be feeding into an HK AVR 235 (next on the list for being upgraded), and then into my Meadowlark Swifts.

Muchas Gracias!
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

Well if you're looking to improve your sound I need to confirm you have installed some bass trapping and room treatments. If not that will give you the largest gains for your 300 dollars, far more than changing cd players.

There are two components that make a major difference in sound quality:
    1. Speakers
    2. Room acoustics

The latter is often overlooked. It is major! Everything else is a very distant third. An expensive system in a room with poor acoustics sounds worse than a system one third it's cost with good acoustics. Please go somewhere like realtraps.com and read. Room acoustics are the major cause of the sonic presentation of your system, no electronics or wire even comes close. It's pure physics and there's no way around it.

If you cannot have room treatment and bass traps my next recommendation would be a Behringer DEQ 2496. For 300 dollars you can get one along with the Behringer ECM 8000 microphone(necessary). This will also have the capability of improving your sound more than changing cd players, and by a wide margin.

If your current cd player works fine I would also consider an outboard dac. Depending upon the age of the Onkyo. If it's over 3 years old I'd consider replacing it just due to reliability reasons. Then again I have an old Onkyo cd changer that's from 97 in my vintage system and it works fine still.

Comment

• xyzsurf
      • Jul 2005

Well the Onkyo I'm using is a 6-disc DVD/CD changer. It seems rather harsh to listen to. Lack of detail. Cold. Dead. You know...

I'd considered the acoustics when I moved in. I can't really install traps like that due to the girlfriend factor, so I had to try and do what I could with normal decorating.

The room has wood floors and is probably 20x12. The stereo is placed in the far end of it flat against the wall. I've placed a very thick and very large shag rug that covers more than the entire area in front of the listening area. There are heavy curtains on the windows nearby and a big squishy comfortable chair in the opposing corner alone with a large futon directly in front of the speakers (which has the usual 100 lb pure cotton mattress).

It's tough to say how 'good' it is at stopping standing waves (there's also an Infinity CSW-10 involved) and how well it dampens the highs/mids from any sort of echo, but it seems to do a decent job.

How reliable do you think an RCD-971 would be... being 5-6 years old?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"