X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

feedback from behringer deq2496 users please

i currently own the cambridge azure 540c (single dac not the current dual dac model)

rotel rc-1070 preamp
    and rotel rb-1080

will be building a 15" sono tube and the waveguide seas speakers on zaphs site (finaly after a year)

while i did own the rotel cd player for some time before exchanging it for the other rotel gear - i opted to go for the cambrige since i theorized it was more economical to purchase that and feed it digitaly into the behringer 2496 deq
    but i am having second thoughts on the necessity and benifit of having the deq2496

now many of you have experience with both
    so for those who use the deq2496 how many use it full range
    eq aside is the over all soundquality comparable to that if running analouge out on the rotel or is there a degridation ?
  • warnerwh
    • Jan 2006

I use mine in the digital domain outputting it to a dac. I hear no degradation that could possibly compete with the improvements I've gained with this piece. Considering the modest price for what it's capable of I consider it the bargain of the decade.

My system is very resolving consisting of a Primare Pre 30 preamp, Cinenova Grande 3 powering the dual woofer section of VMPS RM 40s, a Van Alstine Fetvalve 550 powering the planar/ ribbon section of the RM 40's and a modded Kenwood Kt 7500. Source is a Dvpnc 555es dvd/cd player. My room is LEDE with four bass traps. The room is carpeted over concrete.

Using this piece full range is wonderful. If it ever dies I'll go to the nearest pro audio shop and pay whatever they want for it. I know others who feel the same way.

The DEQ 2496 has a steep learning curve just learning how to use it. Then there's a significant learning curve getting your system dialed in completely. You should read this article on setting up room curves for the DEQ 2496: http://www.prijsindex.net/tmp/room%2...0and%20eq.html

This article will give you necessary knowledge on proper room correction technique because many people believe they want a "flat" response in their room. This is not what you hear live so the bass must be boosted and the region above 2khz or so needs to be tapered downward.

Imo the autoeq function just gets you most of the way there. Then I use the parametric equalizer to tweak the sound to my liking and also fix problems below 100hz which Behringer recommends you don't try to use the autoeq function for. At www.realtraps.com there's a program called modecalc for Windows. Just put in the dimensions of your room to the nearest inch and hit enter. It will give you your room modes. Then you can attenuate those under 100hz, be sure to use 1/10th octave when doing so.

You can also measure your room with a Radio Shack SPL meter. Just be sure to add or subtract the correction numbers or use a Rives cd which is already calibrated for the rat shack meter. Adding a boost of 3db or less shouldn't hurt anything but remember adding 3db uses double the power at that region from your amp and drives your speaker harder there also.

If you use the autoeq feature you can adjust how much correction you want. You don't want 15db. 6 or 8 db is better. You want to use the piece in moderation. It can still help alot without over doing things. Where it pushed up the output at a frequency say the 8db you want to go back in and bring it back down to 2-3db. The only way you can get away with that much boost is using a very powerful amp and or sensitive speakers or you listen at low to moderate volumes. You still need speakers and an amp that will deal with that large of boost without strain.

The reason I don't like to push it over 6db even when attenuating is because you're also affecting frequencies next to the one being attenuated. It's entirely possible you're dipping a frequency next to a peak that is already down several db.

The parametric equalizer can make up for the weaknesses of the graphic equalizer that's used for the autoeq function.

In any event I highly recommend the unit. I would have bought one long before I did had I known that even in my highly treated room it could make that much improvement. I don't care for the built in dac but it's not bad and alot of people like it.

If you need more help pm me. Also download the manual and read it at least twice before you get it.
    Your room acoustics have a HUGE effect on the sound quality. When I built this last room and decided to go all the way with the room treatment and bass traps I had no idea what a treat I was in for. It was literally shocking. I've talked to other people my age, fifties, that feel the same way. I should have done this decades ago.

If you want to learn more about acoustics the best place is realtraps.com. Ethan even has several videos along with alot of articles. If you go to ecoustics.com and search for acoustics articles there's also quite a few of them.

My honest opinion is that something like the Behringer should be required for any serious high end audio system, period. It's not easy to use and to learn to tweak your system but you will evolve over a short period of time to where you're making tiny adjustments of .5 to 1 db here and there all the while refining your sonic presentation.

I hope that answers your question!

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

very helpful! thanks

anyone outthere using its dac?

Comment

• warnerwh
        • Jan 2006

I talked to one guy who actually preferred the dac in the Behringer over a dac costing a couple of grand. I'd just try it if I were you and see if you like it. With different speakers I could see myself being satisfied with it. Using the Bel Canto Dac 1.1 gives a slightly more relaxed presentation. I've noticed I prefer dacs without the brick wall filter which is the most common. The Bel Canto uses a slow roll off. Some Sony ES cd players will give you a slow roll off option.

You haven't said whether or not you have bass traps or other room treatments. This is the most important part of a system next to speakers. If you can't have them due to WAF etc. then the Behringer will help significantly. Using both however is the best way to go if you can.

The dac is an AKM 4393 btw. The improvements that can be made by the Behringer far outweigh the sound of any dac. If you're strapped for cash you could use the Behringer's dac until you can afford another. In the meantime you'll still have a substantial improvement.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"