X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Masters2010
    • Nov 2005

Starting a new system?

I'd like to start into vinyl, and make a decent system for school.

At home, my dad gave me his old equipment that sounds decent but is sort of falling apart and I'm not sure whether I should start from scratch or use some of this in my new one.

My "current" equipment
    A pair of Spendor Ls3/5a speakers
    Meitner Audio STR-50 Amp
    Lazarus Cascade Basic Preamp

Now, I really have no clue if any of this stuff is decent. I was looking to spend around 1000 dollars or less on this, and that's a total for all new equipment. I've searched on the internet for hours, but there are just so many products and combinations, I figured I would make a new thread.

Thanks
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

If you have not already done so just google your model numbers and check out the reviews etc or peoples comments. That should give you an idea of what the gear was like in its younger days. Power amps and pre amps can last a very long time so unless they are falling apart literally and assuming they were good to start with (less than a minute googling indicated that the power amp was well regarded by some).

I'm sure that you could put your entire spend on a turntable without raising a sweat - whether this is the best way to go may depend on how your speakers are holding up. Either take you electronics to your local hifi and try a few options or see if you can borrow the gear for the weekend (easier if you get to know you local dealer a little first so they know you are serious and on the level).

If you are new to hifi I would also recommend doing as much listening to as much different gear as you can to get an idea of what sort of sound you like. In hifi the only right sound is the one that you find most pleasing.

have fun checking out your options
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"