X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayhawk75
    • Apr 2006

Transfering Vinyl To Cd

Does anyone have suggestions on what to use to transfer some lp's to cds?
    i have been looking at some marantz products and am open to suggestions. i have some lp's from 60's and 70's that have no prayer of making it to cd. i saw a website several years ago that uses computer based equipment for process but i would rather listen to lp and transfer at same time.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

If you already have a turntable you could use the M-Audio Pro (or simular device) which provides D/A conversion.

My wife showed this to me a while ago:

LP-to-MP3 converter

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

To transfer LPs to CD I feed the signal from my phono preamp into the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card. I use LP Recorder (WAV recorder) to create WAV files from the analog audio followed by LP Ripper (WAV editor) to split the entire side of the LP into separate tracks, trim each one and add fade in/fade out. I then burn CDs from the WAV files with the Sony CD burner in my PC and (free) Real Player.

LP Ripper/LP Recorder: http://www.cfbsoftware.com/default.htm
      M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card : http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Does the resulting CD transfer sound as smooth as the original Vinyl, or becomes as "digitial" as most CD's ???

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

For years I've ripped my LP collection to CD (highest bit rate sampling the current setup allows, saved as wave files no compression allowed).

The transfers are quite good, one must be careful with regard to what processing is used otherwise the "air" on the vinyl is lost.

I do this for all my $pendy imported or rare collector vinyl, because it's the only way to prevent the recording from being destroyed by the wear and tear.

I'm thinking about getting a Tascam DVRA1000 to make the best copies possible.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I used my turntable feed directly to my Hercules sound card, and used an audio editing program called SoundForge to record my sessions. SoundForge is a very powerful audio editing program, so you can listen to it before saving it and retouch the audio file to perfection. I'll save them as wave files and then burn them on to a CD. After that, I'll format the file using FLAC or Monkey audio and save it to my harddrive.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

Audioqueso, do you have to boost the volume on the transferred file in Soundforge since you dont have a phonoamp hooked up?

Thanks.
              Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Do you also use SoundForge to apply the inverse RIAA filter? (if no phono preamp is used)

Comment

• VictorHRS
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Beautiful Beast! :T

I would go for that too..... But it's too bad that it doesn't have a SACD burner....

Comment

• jayhawk75
                    • Apr 2006

tascam looks like a choice i will start researching. the other replies are leaning towards computer based transfers, which at my age the geek in me has disappeared as to installing soundcards. the question is a $1299 tascam or cheaper alternatives? is this another area where you get better results spending more money?

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                      Does the resulting CD transfer sound as smooth as the original Vinyl, or becomes as "digitial" as most CD's ???
                      The CD-Rs I create retain the sound of the original vinyl. No digititis. I am very satisfied with the results.

Glen

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

I wonder why digital CD's (home-made from LP) would be different from a commercial CD. Any ideas?

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Glen B
                          The CD-Rs I create retain the sound of the original vinyl. No digititis. I am very satisfied with the results.

Glen
                          "Digititis", eh? I like that word...
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I've been using a Yamaha CDR-S1000 (a stand-alone CD burner/transport) for three years and have been quite happy with the results. It's not quite in the league with Thomas' Tascam, but it makes a very good quality CD if the vinyl is clean to begin with. If it's dirty, scratched, etc, then you'll hear that, too. :roll:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2001

I'm trying listening carefully to the record, then hand-coding the bits into PCM. I've only gotten part of one song done in the last couple years, but it sounds really good.

Seriously, has anyone tried Benchmark's companion to the DAC1, the ADC1? I would bet it would yield some nice results considering.

BB

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

My money's with your choice, too, Brandon. The ADC has been very carefully engineered.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Glen
                                  . . . digititis. . .
                                  I thought that's what you got when you put your fingers where you shouldn't. :W

Originally posted by Brandon
                                  . . . then hand-coding the bits into PCM. . .
                                  Don't you get confused when coding in all those 1's and 0's? I do.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Club1820
                                    Audioqueso, do you have to boost the volume on the transferred file in Soundforge since you dont have a phonoamp hooked up?

Thanks.
                                    There are numerous input levels that are adjusted before the recording. I had no problem connecting the LP player directly to the soundcard via an RCA to 1/8" adapter.

Do you also use SoundForge to apply the inverse RIAA filter? (if no phono preamp is used) I don't know what that is, so I'm sure I didn't have to apply any RIAA filter.

Comment

• jim777
                                      • Mar 2005

If you are missing the RIAA filter (because it is in every phono preamp, otherwise it would be called a MIC preamp), the sound must have too much high frequency content (and lack bass).

If you google about it..

Restauration disques Vinyles,Restoring vinyl records, Gardening, Flowers, Wine, Drawings,Music and Family, Pictures from Japan, Jardinage, Fleurs, Vins,Dessins, Musique et Famille, Images du Japon, chats, cats
                                      Last edited by jim777; 29 November 2006, 15:28 Wednesday. Reason: got it backwards

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                                        If you are missing the RIAA filter (because it is in every phono preamp, otherwise it would be called a MIC preamp), the sound must have too much high frequency content (and lack bass).

If you google about it..

http://www.a-reny.com/restauration/avance.html
                                        My turntables are from the US. I bought them in Japan. Could that maybe be why I didn't need this RIAA filter?

Comment

• jim777
                                          • Mar 2005

Some turntables have a preamp inside. Maybe that is why you don't need either a preamp before the soundcard nor the RIAA filter. What table is it?

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

I thought RIAA filters basically removed all the music until you payed a per-use fee?

audioqueso - wiki explains it pretty well:

BB

Comment

• audioqueso
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
                                              I thought RIAA filters basically removed all the music until you payed a per-use fee?

audioqueso - wiki explains it pretty well:

BB
                                              Ok, I read that. I understand what it is, but that's why I wondered whether I would be effected by it or not. It's a standard set by the RIAA. RIAA has no say in how other countries outside the states does their business. Oh well, it doesn't really matter as I doubt many will buy turn-tables outside the states.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Glen
                                                HI Glen,
                                                I am so suspicious of CD's that I have never tried to create a home made CD. You seem to be getting good results so maybe I will give it a try. I have about 5000 reasons to do so. I have about 5000 LP's in my collection, most in fine condition.

Since my main music system is remote from my computer, I was thinking about taking a different approach. Rather than taking the signal from my preamp, (difficult at best) I would make a cassette tape on one of my Nakamichi three head machines, probably my Dragon. I have another three head Nak (a 680) in my computer room. I would use this to provide the signal feed to the computer. Any thoughts on this idea.

I can assure you that the Nak's can provide a great recording so audio quality to the computer is not an issue.

Thanks, Sparky

Comment

• Brandon B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                  Ok, I read that. I understand what it is, but that's why I wondered whether I would be effected by it or not. It's a standard set by the RIAA. RIAA has no say in how other countries outside the states does their business. Oh well, it doesn't really matter as I doubt many will buy turn-tables outside the states.
                                                  My first line was a joke. The filter has nothing to do with how you conduct business, it is to guarantee accurate playback of the signal recorded on vinyl as it is done by most recording studios/vinyl producers. Not using it means you are distorting the signal. You may like the result, but it is modified from what an accurate playback would sound like.

If recording/pressing facilities in other countries ignore the standard, and TT mfrs ignore it likewise, their stuff will work fine with each others' product, but not with the mainstream of vinyl from USA and Europe, so it seems unlikely to me that anyone would do this.

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Karma
                                                    I was thinking about taking a different approach. Rather than taking the signal from my preamp, (difficult at best) I would make a cassette tape on one of my Nakamichi three head machines, probably my Dragon. I have another three head Nak (a 680) in my computer room. I would use this to provide the signal feed to the computer. Any thoughts on this idea.

I can assure you that the Nak's can provide a great recording so audio quality to the computer is not an issue.

Thanks, Sparky
                                                    In the past I've used high-end 15 & 30 ips tape machines to archive vinyl. Even with 1/2" high-speed tape, the recording wasn't as good as the original vinyl. So I be hesitant to add any additional analog recording into this process.

If you want the best SQ possible it would be better to go directly from the preamp out to the PC soundcard in.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Thomas,
                                                      I can't argue with the logic of your position. However, the normal way I listen to my vinyl collection is via tape. I will play the record and record it at the same time. Later, I will listen to the tapes rather than to the records.

Perhaps I have defective ears but when the recording is made on a properly calibrated high end Nakamichi, with metal tape and Dolby C, I can't tell the difference most of the time. Consequently, I can't think of a good reason to not follow this strategy for CD copies.

In what way were your tape copies worse than the vinyl? Maybe your tape machines were not up to the job. Certainly, SOME tape machines could make an indistinguishable copy. I don't think you are claiming that it is impossible.

Sparky

Comment

• Alaric
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

HI Thomas,
                                                        I can't argue with the logic of your position. However, the normal way I listen to my vinyl collection is via tape. I will play the record and record it at the same time. Later, I will listen to the tapes rather than to the records.

Perhaps I have defective ears but when the recording is made on a properly calibrated high end Nakamichi, with metal tape and Dolby C, I can't tell the difference most of the time. Consequently, I can't think of a good reason to not follow this strategy for CD copies.

In what way were your tape copies worse than the vinyl? Maybe your tape machines were not up to the job. Certainly, SOME tape machines could make an indistinguishable copy. I don't think you are claiming that it is impossible.

Sparky
                                                        As the former owner of a Nakamichi ZX9 , I have to agree with Karma. A properly set up Nak with metal or Cr tape is capable of capturing every nuance of a vinyl recording I can hear. Those machines were the pinnacle of cassette technology and performance. I heard somewhere Michael Jackson's Thriller was mastered on one. I hope to be able to acquire one again someday. A couple years after I bought mine (1984) I auditioned one of the first Sony CD players-I bought a CD player less than two years ago. Of course , I will likely always prefer vinyl to other formats , so my views reflect that preference. :B
                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Glen B
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                          "Digititis", eh? I like that word...
                                                          Its actually a fairly popular word used by audiophiles to describe the harsh, brittle sound of some CDs. Its a word I first saw being used in Stereophile magazine.
                                                          Last edited by Chris D; 26 May 2016, 23:12 Thursday.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jul 2004

HI Glen,
                                                            I am so suspicious of CD's that I have never tried to create a home made CD. You seem to be getting good results so maybe I will give it a try. I have about 5000 reasons to do so. I have about 5000 LP's in my collection, most in fine condition.

Since my main music system is remote from my computer, I was thinking about taking a different approach. Rather than taking the signal from my preamp, (difficult at best) I would make a cassette tape on one of my Nakamichi three head machines, probably my Dragon. I have another three head Nak (a 680) in my computer room. I would use this to provide the signal feed to the computer. Any thoughts on this idea.

Thanks, Sparky
                                                            I would be hesitatant to insert anything between preamp and soundcard. By recording on one deck and playing back on another will be adding two steps in-between. Consider that each deck may add some degree of compression and also impart its own sonic signature. If this setup works for you, fine. My PC is on a stand with casters. I just roll it up to within a few feet of my equipment rack and plug into my preamp.

Glen

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                              For years I've ripped my LP collection to CD (highest bit rate sampling the current setup allows, saved as wave files no compression allowed).

i forgot to ask... what are you using now while you are thinking. i am now researching and leaning towards the 900 vs the 1000 at half the price and reading up on the 1000 reviewers are saying 1000 is not for the nongeek

Comment

• Nov 2005

I would be hesitatant to insert anything between preamp and soundcard. By recording on one deck and playing back on another will be adding two steps in-between. Consider that each deck may add some degree of compression and also impart its own sonic signature. If this setup works for you, fine. My PC is on a stand with casters. I just roll it up to within a few feet of my equipment rack and plug into my preamp.

Glen
                                                                HI Glen,
                                                                As a matter of principle, you are right by definition. Ideally, one should not add any more potentially sound altering gadgets than necessary. I understand this. No arguments from me on this point.

However, my computer is locked down as part of my digital darkroom setup in a completely different part of the house. It's just not practical to record directly from the preamp which would be my preference. It's a matter of either finding alternatives or not doing it at all.

Do you have much experience with the top of the line three head Nakamichi decks? I basically consider your concerns to be on a theoretical level and not with the real world results that can be obtained from these fine machines even when using two different machines. Believe me; I'm not in denial on this point. I can make tape copies that cannot be differentiated sonically from the original the vast majority of the time. I've confirmed this myself and also with many tests run with independent listeners. Yes, they are amazed.

Another factor is how I will use the ripped CD's. Mostly they will be used in my car system, my garage system or background music on my HT system where pin point sound quality is not a high priority. Don't misunderstand, as a long time audiophile I won't stand for a poor recording. It's the way I'm built. However, while the tape method I proposed is not ideal, the quality will be good. It better be or I won't continue. When I want great sound I listen to LP's (or taped LP's) on my main system.

Thanks for you comments and your concern.

Sparky
                                                                Last edited by Karma; 02 December 2006, 14:51 Saturday.

Comment

• 1Michael
                                                                  • Sep 2006

I have owned a Nakamichi 1000ZXL Limited tape deck and with the machine calibrated to a specific tape, there is still degradation of sound.
                                                                  Michael
                                                                  Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

How MUCH degradation though?

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                      How MUCH degradation though?
                                                                      At a minimum I believe you will see at least 3 db S/N degradation. As good as the Naks are, if you have ever set the bias and watched the frequency response with a sweep generator and an oscilloscope, you will never get flat 20-20Khz response. It will be very close but not all there.
                                                                      And in theory when you turn around and transfer to the PC another 3 db degradation in S/N will occur.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"