X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Golden Cuboid...Speaker placement!!

If you have a rectangular room who have to try this out. I came across it on the Cardas website. I thought my system sounded fantastic already, but this mathamatical calculation for speaker placement made my system completely open up. I was dumb founded at the before & after effect. I kid you not!! My room is 13x32 & it has never sounded better. If you have the room - DO IT!! He also gives speaker placement calculations for other shaped rooms. Check it out!!

Cardas produces a variety of products specifically for turntables, including our Myrtle Heart Cartridge, DIN plugs, cartridge clips, tonearm wire, and headshell leads. And of course our famous Frequency Sweep & Burn-in LP.
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

This helps sometimes if you've got a reasonable rectangular room. It gets tougher as the room gets more square since the speakers end up in the middle of the room.

You can also use the golden ration for other placements outside of that standard formula (it may be on the site as well). For example, the ratio of the distance between the side and rear walls in any multiple can work too.
    Danish

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Interesting. However, even with a "reasonable" rectangular room, the placement out from the front wall can still be rather large using those calculations. (notice that everything is based on the room width there, the length of the room doesn't change the placement)

So for my 14' wide room, I would have to place the front speakers 6'3" from the front wall. That's a pretty reasonable width--for those with wider theaters, which are very common, you're talking about speaker 7 to 10 feet into your room! Yikes, that's quite intrusive, regardless of how long your room is.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• pearsall001
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
        Interesting. However, even with a "reasonable" rectangular room, the placement out from the front wall can still be rather large using those calculations. (notice that everything is based on the room width there, the length of the room doesn't change the placement)

So for my 14' wide room, I would have to place the front speakers 6'3" from the front wall. That's a pretty reasonable width--for those with wider theaters, which are very common, you're talking about speaker 7 to 10 feet into your room! Yikes, that's quite intrusive, regardless of how long your room is.
        That is the down side to this particular ratio for speaker placement. It works out good for me with my room being 13x32. Speaker placement from the side & front walls is ideal for me at this time. With my 50" tv it works out perfectly. If I ever go to a bigger screen tv then I'd run into a problem with the speakers blocking the screen. Everything is really room dependant & some where along the line we all have to make adjustments on our set up. For now, the sound is just spectacular for both HT & 2 channel. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!
        Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:52 Sunday.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Wow, dude, I could make a pretty kick-a$$ theater with those dimensions. I'm sure you wish you had just a bit more in width, though!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"