X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Analogue help

I just purchased a Thorens TD-185 with an Ortofon OMB10 cartridge. What accessories should I also get (record & stylus care and anything else) to use with the TT? Just basic equipment for now - no vacuums/digital stylus gauge yet. I now need to 'rebuild' my LP collection. Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Kevin
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

If I remember, DiscWasher is a brand name that has quite a few nice products. I still use a record cleaner that is a good sized piece of walnut with a velour pad on one side. The handle is hollowed out so you can store a bottle of cleaner/anti-static fluid. A good stylus brush is a must. Check out "The Needle Doctor" for some good choices. Enjoy...

I use a Ortofon OM 20 Super in a TD-160 and am satisfied.

Here is a good link for setting up your cartridge.

Bluespower

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I normally use an AudioQuest record brush just to get the dust off the vinyl. My dad has a VPI machine, so I use it on visits to do major cleanings.

I've always used some fine sandpaper on the stylus. I bought some Last cleaner once, but there's always a debate on whether using liquid is a good thing given that it is possible to suck the liquid up by capillary action.

For a force gauge, I use the old standard Shure balance, it's only $20 or so IIRC.

That DiscWasher brush is nice too, used to have one...
      Danish

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

For cleaning the stylus, many of us use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You cut off a little square about 1/4 inch thick. Stick a toothpick in it so it looks like a lollipop. Put the piece of eraser on your plinth and hold it by the toothpick so it can't move. Using your arm lifter lower the stylus into the eraser and back up again. This is safest, and yet effective, method I have found.

Also, a dry Swifter cloth works better than a brush for getting rid of static and dust just before playing.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Interesting suggestions Bob. I assume with the swifter cloth you wipe in a circular direction (along path of the grooves).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

I don't really wipe with the cloth. I let the record turn on the turntable and let the swifter just drape from my hand onto the record.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

Thanks Bob. I think I can afford these suggestions.

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

Kevin, good day. First off stay away from Discwasher, horrible brush (wooden handle, how is that going to conduct static eletricity away fromyour record ???) and their fluid is junk. For the least amount of $$ and still decent results try using the Alsop Orbitrac 2 along with a Disc Care 2 + 2 Record brush( great brush metal handle with carbon fiber). rember when cleaning your stylus with a stylus brush gently sweep from back to front keeping in line with the cantaliver, NEVER side to side.

good Luck !
                Dave

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

Kevin,
                  A couple of more things. For cleaning records I suggest using the products from Audio Intellegent. I have tried most of the popular products, Record Research, Miracle Dr., Disc Dr., VPI, Discwasher, etc. and the stuff from Paul is the real deal and more affordable.

Also, good luck on building your record collection. There are a number of very reliable sources on the net for used records. I suggest Audiophiliausa, Gemm, and Musicstack and to stay away from ebay. For new records, Acoustic Sounds, Ellusive Disc, and Music Direct are pretty much all you need.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I use Acoustic Sounds a LOT. (but for SACD/DVD-A)
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• dyazdani
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

I've used Music Direct an Elusive Disc, both are very good. They've got some nice stuff for sale too, in addition to lots of software...
                      Danish

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"