X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

Amplifier connections

Anyone have any preferences for RCA v. Balanced v. Speakon connections? Does it matter and, if so, why?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm building an amplifier and will have to decide which I'm going to use for inputs and outputs. Thanks,

Martyn
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Well, purely in terms of connections, I'd think XLR would be better/more secure than RCA jacks. However, going that way would necessitate custom cables or adapters to connect the amp to other gear with RCA only. If you are building the amp, making the cables should not present any issues to you.

As far as output connectors, I'd probably stick with plain old multi-way binding posts.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Martyn
      • Feb 2006

I guess I feel the same way, although I've never had an RCA jack fall off. I also feel that the short interconnects from the preamp to the amp probably won't really benefit from shielding, whereas the much longer speaker cables might be more deserving candidates. In the absence of a compelling argument either way, I'll probably end up taking the line of least resistance (RCAs and binding posts).

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I agree with your conclusion but speaker connections do not need shielding as the impedances are so low.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

Thanks, for once I might make life easy for myself.

Now, should they be brass or copper? Gold, silver, rhodium...? Maybe I'll just run a couple of pig-tails and twist the ends together!

Comment

• warnerwh
            • Jan 2006

RCA's have been working great for alot of years. You may as well make it easy on yourself. XLR connections are nicely secure but really unnecessary for home audio equipment.

Comment

• Martyn
              • Feb 2006

I picked up a couple of Neutrik RCA jacks over the weekend - now I just have to figure out how to cut a 24 mm hole in sheet metal.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

24 mm = 0.944 in

15/16" = 0.9375 in

I have found these to be great for drilling sheet metal.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Martyn
                  • Feb 2006

Good idea. I have one somewhere, although maybe not quite big enough. Anyway, it'll do to experiment with. Thanks,

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

These bits can sometimes leave a burr on the exit side of the hole when you drill ‘soft’ (2000 series) aluminum or mild steel. Use light feed pressure to help reduce the likelihood of a massive burr. The good part is, they also make great a chamfer/de-burr tool when you use it from the back side to remove the burr. Also, nothing beats a round rat tail file for finishing to the required size.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"