X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsall001
    • Dec 2005

Help me decide if I really need a DAC?

Ah!! the audio bug might be biting again. My present 2 channel system consists of: A Conrad Johnson PV14L tube preamp, Van Alstine OmegaStar440EX amp, Consonance CD120 upsampling CD player, & AAD 2001 monitors. Now don't get me wrong, I really do like the way my system sounds, but it's just been buging me about this DAC issue. Do you think a DAC would benefit me & in what way? What are your experiences? What DAC's have you used & how did they perform? My budget is maxed out at $1800. Hopefully your info will allow me to make an educated decision.
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

The DAC would have to be better than the one in your CD player. Do you have one in mind? A Benchmark DAC1? (975$) A Grace m902 maybe? (It sells around $1600 and both choices give you a great headphone amp bonus)

A DAC could give you great sound stereo sound from your OPPO too

Comment

• Russ L
      • Jul 2006

The recent trend to lower priced DACs that actually improve sound quality is a major breakthrough for the serious audio listener. Finally CDs can perform the way they were intended to perform. The Benchmark $975US, the Grace m902$1600US and the Lavry Black DA10 $950US actually reduce jitter induced distortion. unlike higher priced DAcs of the past which seemed to recolor the sound. The Lavry Black hit the market Jan.2006 and has gotten a few raves mostly on forums.Apparently for its warmer sound. I suspect that the limited release of performance specs from Lavry means that its a cheap version of the $8000 lavry dac that was released in 2004 which reviewers said was outperformed(albeit only in a few areas) by the Benchmark. If you like the "tube" sound while reducing jitter then the Lavry may be for you. I am worried about recommending it due to support problems. The DAC may perform but the manufacturer may not. Without a solid network of dealers or an up and running online manufacturer store, its availability is limited even in the states and only has a 1yr. warranty(only for the US so out of the question for me!). The Grace and Benchmark(at Benchmark online store) are available around the world, have a 5 year warranty and have a wide range of positive reviews from all sources(not just forums). REliable international dealers are important to me since I live outside the US, but can also reassure US purchasers as to the strength of the manufacturer. As my Pro audio dealer said when I inquired about the Benchmark DAC1, they have never had to return Benchmark products for warranty service. Convinced me to spend $1218 CAN on the DAC1 :T -Russ

I almost forgot, leave the Benchmark plugged in as it must warm up for an half hour before it sounds the way it should. Many people say they don't like the sound but are unaware of this fact. Thats why the unit has no power switch.
      Last edited by Russ L; 14 August 2006, 22:54 Monday. Reason: Add line
      Russ

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Tried the Benchmark; sent it back. Not that it was bad, just didn't seem like a $1000 improvement to me.

Also, it may depend on the sound you are looking for. If you are wanting a warmer or tube-like sound, the Benchmark is not for you.

If you want a very accurate, but perhaps bordering on cool/clinical (IMO) then you would probably like the Benchmark.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

whoaru99, what did you compare the DAC1 with? I'm thinking of getting one for DVD (and satellite TV). I already have a Soundblaster Extigy that is "OK" (it can be run without a computer as a stand-alone DAC), but I wonder if the DAC1 would be a lot better...

Comment

• whoaru99
            • Jul 2004

My brother and I compared 5 or 6 CD and DVD/universal players via their analog outputs vs. those same 5 or players used as transports connected via digital to the Benchmark DAC. We did level matching using a multimeter at the speaker terminals and a 1kHz test tone.

We did not compare the Benchmark DAC to any other standalone DACs. I did compare it though to my Anthem AVM 20 via digital connection.

In some cases I did note what seemed to be a nice improvement, but in others no seeming improvement. So, in the end, it didn't really seem worth it to me.

I figure I can get better bang for $ by going with some room treatments - which admittedly I have not done yet.

All that said, I do have an Analog Devices AD1955 (external DAC) evaluation board on order. Delivery has been pushed back three or four times now, but they say there are no plans to cancel the order. Latest estimated delivery is now early Sept. For $166 plus tax and shipping (about $185 total) I'm going to give it a try.
            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

Please tell me how it goes, because I also thought of getting a DAC board from Wolfson or TI (BurrBrown), or maybe that AD one..

Most of those evaluation boards need a +5 & +/-12V power supply, but you can get one on Digikey for around 40$.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

My DAC1 is the first DAC I've tried that actually provided a significant improvement in any system where it was placed.

Quite a bit better than the stock DACs in my SCD-777ES and certainly better than the more expensive Hawk Audio MP-DAC I was using.

The 30 day trial makes auditioning the Benchmark no brainer IMO...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI pears,
                  Let me thow another option on table. Both of my audio (music) systems have outboard tube DAC's. One is a California Audio Labs Sigma II and the other is Anodyne's only offering. Both use 12AX7 tubes.

I have always felt that CD's are harsh sounding, even the best of them. The average CD needs playback help, IMO. Tube DAC's tend to soften the "edges" of the sound a little. If it's a good DAC the softening will not harm the high frequency resolution but make the music less fatiguing in long and loud sessions. Tubes also tend to emphasize depth and soundstaging.

I am not really current on the present marketplace. I can't suggest a brand. I do know that if I was looking to replace my DAC's (I'm not) I would definitely check out tube DAC's.

Sparky

Comment

• Russ L
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Karma
                    I have always felt that CD's are harsh sounding, even the best of them.
                    I agree..was just listening to an old vinyl of Gino Vannelli so smooth but scratchy! I feel the Benchmark removes the harshness too...more like analog less fatigue, but at the same time clinical and precise. But my taste in source "sound" fits in with my taste in amplification-Rotel and speakers-B&W. To add some warmth I run the Benchmark through my pre-amp instead of directly into the amp. -Russ
                    Russ

Comment

• whoaru99
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                      Please tell me how it goes, because I also thought of getting a DAC board from Wolfson or TI (BurrBrown), or maybe that AD one..

Most of those evaluation boards need a +5 & +/-12V power supply, but you can get one on Digikey for around 40$.
                      Sure, no problem.

Not sure on the AD eval board PS requirement, although I found an old reference on another forum that says +/-12 with onboard 5V regulation.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"