How do you listen to your music? Shuffle, repeat, etc..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

How do you listen to your music? Shuffle, repeat, etc..

So how do you listen to your music?

Are you the type that if the radio is on, you flip from channel to channel every two mins? Do you do the same on your CDs when you hear a song you dont like? How about when the album is over? Do you have to switch it out right then in there? Or do you let it replay until you feel like getting up?

Me.. In my vehicles I dont listen to the radio, I usually have one CD in the player for weeks at a time. Call me lazy, maybe I just enjoy the CDs I listen to. I dunno. Its just background music, so it just plays over and over.

In my house, I can listen to the same CD for a few days, just let it play. Some CDs i will switch out right then they are done, others will get played a dozen times.

I can't STAND it when someone has to change the channel/song half way through, it drives me nuts.

So who are you?
    B&W
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

it depends... if I just want background music, I'll toss a CD in. If I'm going to sit down and critically listen and enjoy my music, I'll play 1-3 songs per CD, and then change the CD.

For my car... i get LAZY and do the same - leave one CD in for weeks at a time (built-in 6-disc changer though).

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

For the car I put my IPOD in and put it on shuffle, love never knowing what's coming up next.
      At home, if I'm on our back sun porch I also use a computer system on shuffle. In the music room it is vinyl and usually play both sides of a album before switching.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Mahler symphonies don't work well in shuffle. :roll:

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kingdaddy
          • Jan 2004

Pop, Rock, Celtic, Jazz, New Age and such all get shuffled, usually I'll make a play list of about 30 songs and let it go all afternoon, cant stand hearing the same song twice in the same day.
          My Center Channel Project

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

Home - shuffle with changer or iPod
            Car - not able to shuffle with changer; shuffle with iPod.

Comment

• KeithM
              • Oct 2005

I either just do a CD the whole way through or shuffle my ipod

Comment

• Vinny
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                Me.. In my vehicles I dont listen to the radio, I usually have one CD in the player for weeks at a time. Call me lazy, maybe I just enjoy the CDs I listen to. I dunno. Its just background music, so it just plays over and over.
                Same here :B

Especially these days Norah Jones' voice is just blend with the weather. The only problem is the passengers(if there's any) can fall into sleep real quick :Z

I'll just shuffle everything in foobar2000 in home
                Pioneer KRP-500M
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Parasound 5125
                Oppo BDP-83
                Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
                SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

I thought ‘Shuffle’ was a dance, as in ‘Do the Shuffle’?

In the car:
                  Public Radio and BBC - I’m a news junky, I admit it. My commute is 50 to 60 minutes one way, and that’s the only time I get for news.

At home:
                  for ambient music- the local jazz station - I recently bought a used
                  Magmun Dynalab FM receiver and have been more than pleased with its SQ. So I guess you could say that is my ‘Shuffle’

When I put a CD in, it’s form beginning to end. Period.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    At home:
                    for ambient music- the local jazz station - I recently bought a used
                    Magmun Dynalab FM receiver and have been more than pleased with its SQ. So I guess you could say that is my ‘Shuffle’

When I put a CD in, it’s form beginning to end. Period.
                    I'm with you. FM and cable radio is better than shuffle because, not only is it varied, it often surprises with something new.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wkhanna
                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      it often surprises with something new.

Kal
                      Bingo, Kal.
                      And "new" can sometimes be old, but new to me.
                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

I listen to CD's all the way through. If I've been in the car long enough to hear a whole CD, I'll change it out with another CD. I keep a box of about 12 CD's in the car at a time, and when I've listen to the lot sufficiently, I'll trade them out with 12 more CD's from my collection.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                          Mahler symphonies don't work well in shuffle. :roll:
                          Kal
                          Hehe, isn't that the truth! :yesnod:

At home I listen to vinyl and CDs almost exclusively straight through, cause the older more familiar albums are old friends that I want to experience again, and with the new(er) ones I want to hear what the artist created. The one caveat to that is when I'm monkeying around with speaker placement, settings, cables, etc. and then I'll use individual songs that bring out the aspects I'm looking to improve or change.

In the car (to quote sir Ted Nugent ) it's a free-for-all: straight through, shuffle, one or two songs and out, the randomness of FM, you name it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gross30
                            • Jun 2005

Car/truck.....home Recorded Cd's, Greatest Hits Etc,sat Radio
                            Home.......ipod Shuffle On Computer, Cd's On Main 2 Channel Stereo, Depending On How Many Captain Rons Before I Usually Start Hoping Around Disc To Disc, Patio....ipod Shuffle Through The Rx Z9 To Outdoor Speakers

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                              • May 2006

The car is strictly FM radio. I cycle through the presets after every song. Sometimes in the middle of a song, if it is not good enough. If I find a better/good song, I stick for the rest of it. I will continuously cycle stations until I find a good song if traffic doesn't keep me busy with my Mustang GT's aftermarket 5-spd shifter. If it does, then there is a local station that promises <2min of commercials, so I will park it there while I row through the gears. Gotta keep those damn Civics in line. They can get way to uppity these days. :twisted:

When listening at home, it is radio if I want background music. If what ever I am doing doesn't command my entire attention, I run the same process as with the radio in the car. Otherwise, there are a couple stations that have a decent level of lack-of-suckage. Hopefully soon I will pickup a decent networked component that can pick up the songs on my computer and send them through the HT system in the living room.

For critical listening, I have almost no albums where I like every song on them. Those precious few are a rare treasure. I just skip any songs I do not care for or am not in the mood for at the moment.

Relating to this, my first CD player (Sony's variable line-out model CDP-CE435 5-disc changer) had the coolest feature ever. It stored ~500 CD profiles, and could "delete" selected tracks from each one. It could also store disc specific level settings and a disc "title" that would display when the disc TOC was loaded. I never had to skip a track I did not like on this player, once I set that up. It was also cool to watch it adjust its output volume when it loaded an overly loud disc.

That unit was both my CDP and Preamp. What a value! I wonder why that "CD Profile" feature is not around, now? The components needed to implement it would be even cheaper now, and it was in a ~$270 retail player, in the early/mid '90s. Give me a break!

Unfortunately, I own no iPod or other compressed music file player. Which is kind of dumb, since I have >37GB of MP3s. 9 DVD-Roms worth. These are almost exclusively 256 bit rips of a CD collection. Lots of good stuff there which is VERY under-utilized for the time being.
                              Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                              -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

In the cars, I use my iAudio into the input on the receivers set to shuffle. 30Gig of random mp3s will take me forever to get through.

I also use the iAudio while walking/running/riding my bike.

At home, I use my PC into the Benchmark DAC1 via optical connection pulled Mp3s, all my CDs are in a .iso form ripped with EAC & AccurateRIP (Mp3s are converted with Lame 3.97b2 set to -V 0 --vbr-new). It's amazing how good the Benchmark & PC sound together.

A lot of the time I'll use winamp to play my mp3s from the computer as the display is connected to the TV and I use Milkdrop v1.4d with about 5500 preset visualizations...easily the best thing everyone has commented on when I keep the display on with music. Just have to download the presets from the UK website.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"