X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I Was Wrong – Some Cables Are Special

Two weeks ago I was surfing the Internet and ended up on a forum about UFO’s, which I should make clear is a subject about which I am very sceptical. I followed a discussion on whether the US military had conducted analyses of the materials used in the UFO’s that have supposedly crashed on Earth, and if so, where that information could be found. One link lead to another and unexpectedly I gained access to a US Government site that had earlier denied me access. What I discovered at this site was just as interesting as UFO’s.

I learnt that there is a type of copper that has different properties to normal copper. They referred to the “sub atomic” nature of this copper which made it much better for some electronic applications because it avoided what they called “electron falloff”. The words they used to describe this phenomenon were superior “handshake” and “error correction”, which are terms familiar to me from the computer industry. Basically it means that signals or data are transferred with a much lower error rate.

This copper is being used by the US military (of course) but what really got my attention was the comment that it is also found in small sections of the hi-fi industry. The reason for this is interesting. Although this copper is closely controlled due to its military use, the owner of the mine in Zambia where it comes from has had connections to the hi-fi industry for over 30 years. This chap, who has a Scandinavian name that I can’t remember, is known in his country as “the father of hi-fi”.

Other points of interest were:

• Scientists do not yet understand why this copper behaves the way that it does. Uranium and zinc are found in the same mine, which apparently is most unusual, and this may be the cause.

• Scientists have not been able to re-create this copper in the lab.

• This special copper can be added to normal copper at a concentration of less than 1 part per 1000 and it will transfer its properties to the normal copper.

• The only way that this copper can easily be detected is by its behaviour. The sub-atomic nature of the variation means that there is no easy test.

Unfortunately I only had access to the site for one or two minutes before I was cut off so the summary was all I had time to read. There was a lot more information in the body of the document. I was a bit freaked out by the warning I received after being detected so I cleaned up my laptop afterwards. Now that no SWAT team has arrived at my house I could kick myself that I didn’t save the document. However I did learn enough in the little time that I was on-line to make the following educated guesses:

• This copper is probably being used in selected speaker cables and interconnects from a small number of manufacturers, which explains why they sound better. It also explains why they are so expensive.

• Some of you guys out there must know about this. Materials that are used for commercial manufacturing cannot be kept secret for ever. Who are those cable manufacturers?

Also, does anyone know who the Scandinavian father of hi-fi is? It was a name with a “q” in it like Norquist.
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Hi, interesting topic, you may not get too many replies after telling us how you got the info.

Apparently some guys on the inside have great Hi Fi systems too, not sure what sort of copper they use in their interconects etc, I suppose they just use what ever metals they find underground whilst tunneling their way out.

Perhaps you can ask them if you happen to visit soon ? :lol:

Just kidding, very interesting stuff !

Perhaps Lex uses this stuff in his cables or can educate us about copper etc ?

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

Interesting.

Well, my take is that IF there is such a thing, and IF it is so extra-special that the military has dibs on it, I'd be highly speculative about it being used to make audio cables.

What's the link to the website where you saw this?
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Interesting.

Well, my take is that IF there is such a thing, and IF it is so extra-special that the military has dibs on it, I'd be highly speculative about it being used to make audio cables.

A cable that could do error correction - now that would be special alright.

What's the link to the website where you saw this?
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Look a little closer at big's post. The cable isn't doing error-correction. The properties of the copper used in the cable facilitate cleaner transmission of data therefor less error-correction is required.

It's an interesting premise and it'll be interesting to see if bigburner is with us much longer. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• brac
            • Aug 2005

I would think if it was coming ouit out a small part of africa and the military was buying it all up. There would be one rich little section in africa, you know like the Vatican is a rich little section in Italy.......

Got to get me some of that
            Brac

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
              it'll be interesting to see if bigburner is with us much longer. :B
              Still here David.

Capt. Reynolds would be proud.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hi ya big! Glad you're still around. However, I do understand that you have your own personal satellite in orbit now. Had any sensations of being watched? :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"