X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tec333
    • Jan 2006

freezing your components and cables?

I came accross this on the web. Since I am quite new to this, I would like to know what people think of this. Is this just all B.S.?

Tec
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Funny, and interesting...

It was my understanding in the past that cryogenics CAN add value to many metallic objects and IS used by multiple manufacturers, however, I thought it was only during the manufacturing process of shaping and forming the metal.

I'd have to question the capability or value of using cryogenics AFTER a product has been manufactured and assembled.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

It works on connecting rods-the critter between the piston and crankshaft in an engine.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Aha! That's right... that's one of the places that I've heard of using cryogenics before. But again, itsn't that during the manufacturing process Alaric? And not aftermarket?
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• tec333
          • Jan 2006

I see how this would work well for a component like a forged alluminum or titatnium rod. Since this piece is subjected to heat, stress and etc. I can see this being performed after production as a treatment.

But for electronics - to make it sound better?

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Brake rotors, cam shafts, tranny gears and a bunch of other car/motor stuff too. It has a way of ‘finishing’ the tempering process. Swiss watch makers used to bury their metal in caves in the Alps for years before they would make parts from it. It is not ‘snake oil’, it is actually proven to change the properties of ferrous metals.

However, i have never heard of it changing the electrical properties of metal. But at Absolute Zero, there is theoretically no resistance, so let’s one of us volunteer to put our system in a tub of liquid nitrogen and see if improves the SQ!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
              It was my understanding in the past that cryogenics CAN add value to many metallic objects and IS used by multiple manufacturers, however, I thought it was only during the manufacturing process of shaping and forming the metal.

I'd have to question the capability or value of using cryogenics AFTER a product has been manufactured and assembled.
              That is my understanding as well. I'm not sure what physical impact a cryo treatment would have on a metal after forming. I don't believe in it, but many people do...
              Danish

Comment

• brac
                • Aug 2005

You can pay like $800 and they will freeze the barrel of your favorite rifle. This is after manufacture?? But still you knows if it does anything...
                Brac

Comment

• brac
                  • Aug 2005

Ok,
                  I send it my cat if it lives they can do my AMPS>>>

Comment

• r100gs
                    • May 2005

I turn the heat off at night.
                    Jay

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Again, Aha! We're on to something here... for true sound performance, cool your theater to -20 degrees Fahrenheit before playing anything, and it will sound better. (?)

Okay, even if it doesn't sound better, you won't be able to tell, because you'll be shivering so much.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

hmmmmm...

Wouldn't the air density at -20F affect the sound waves? I would think lower frequencies would have a harder time moving through the more tightly packed molecules.
                        As for super-cooling engine parts , I believe BMW uses the technique , along with "fracturing" rod caps for a stronger joint.
                        Also , the Cray supercomputers use liquid nitrogen to keep the processors at 0 degrees because of the almost resistance-free properties. Perhaps freezing the innards would create a good effect , but my amp actually sounds better after it warms up . The manufacturers who see this thread are probably cringing right now after decades of designing equipment that works at room temp! If nothing else we'll keep 'em on their toes!
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"