X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

Possible to backup DVD-A or SACD?

It's with much sadness that the SACD / DVD-A formats never took off. It was always on my "to-do" list, but the players were always too expensive.

Now I've found a dealer with a $99 Pioneer model that plays both DVD-A and SACD -Yet it appears it is 2 years too late - there is basically no software available - the best buy's by me have non, and I'm not even sure if Fry's does any more - last time I looked, it looked pretty picked over.

Is there anyway to make a backup DVD-A or SACD? Now that the formats are dead, this might be the only way to obtain any of these out of print discs.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Love Google

Google SACD and all kinds of stuff comes up , including a bunch of places to buy them , including www.chesky.com and www.AcousticSounds.com
    I will offer this caution : I had a "great deal" on a Toshiba multi-player that decoded SACD and I didn't know how awful it sounded until I got a decent SACD/CD player. A (relatively) affordable ($600 to $1000) player will be far and away more rewarding . I believe Denon has some good CD players for less than that. I have heard a bunch of SACD players and my compromise was a Marantz SA8260. Less than that and a good "Red Book" player will out perform most SACD players. In my experience , unless you yearn for that "vinyl" sound ( I do!) a reasonable investment in a good quality CD player probably makes more sense.
    Unless you have a good multi-channel setup! My system is 2 channel only so I don't listen to music with the 5.1 format. I stretched my budget for two half-decent speakers , five ain't happenin'! Fortunately SACD is analog output so I haven't run into the "must haves" for a DAC (although I'm looking at them). On the original point , my $99.00 Toshiba is now a DVD-only player on my second tv in the basement. After hearing a good , dedicated , CD player I won't use the Tosh for anything more than it's current , limited , duties. The ability to decode a signal doesn't necessarily guarantee a faithful reproduction of said signal. Unfortunately it's frequently difficult to A/B components of vastly different price ranges ($99 vs. $300) because they are usually in different stores. The Marantz can be had for around $800 online , but I would ask around this forum for recommendations-these guys have a lot more experience and have auditioned a lot of stuff. Read as many posts as you can and you'll start to find SQ descriptions you can relate to-"Hey!I heard that on a .....)
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"