Who's Into Vinyl and What Gear Do You Have?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I ventured back into vinyl after a 20+ yr absence. I wish I had my LP collection back now. I just added a Rega P5, TT PSU and Exact2 cartridge to my set up. Surprisingly, the phono pre in my Rotel RC-1090 pre is very good. And, the worst part od the diesease, not thinking twice about paying $30 for a new 180g, audiophile LP.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI All,
      This thead is so old that I have updated my record playing since my original post. In addition to my previously mentioned Sota Nova with the Eminent Technology air bearing arm and Monster Sigma 2000 low output MC cartridge, I have something new.

About a month ago I received my new Oracle Delphi V with the black granite base and Turbo power supply. On it is mounted a Graham 2.2 Deluxe arm with a Clearaudio Discovery MC cartrige. Just last week I received my new/used Aesthetix Rhea all tube phono preamp. Yep, it sounds great.

Now I'm using both turntables, each with a different purpose. The Rhea lets me switch between either table and it remembers all the settings for each cartridge. It is really nice. If you are in the market for a top rung phono preamp you might check the Rhea out.

Not to be forgotten because it is so important to my vinyl experience is my VPI 17 record washing machine. I love this beauty.

I never left vinyl. I do have about 500 CD's but over 4000 LP's. Guess which I listen to most.

Sparky

Comment

• twitch54
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Karma
        Just last week I received my new/used Aesthetix Rhea all tube phono preamp. Yep, it sounds great.

If you are in the market for a top rung phono preamp you might check the Rhea out.Sparky

Sparky, You know I'm an ARC guy, but if I were to wonder from the camp that Rhea would be on my short list for sure, great pre, I know you're enjoying it !!

Dave
        Dave

Comment

• Yasvanth
          • Jun 2006

High End Record Decks: Are they really worth it?

Hi all record lovers,

I just read the review of the new Roksan Xerxes 20 and like it. But I think it is just not worth the price that they are asking. Can you believe it, the turntable alone cost £1750 then on top of that you have to buy a tonearm , cartridge and the power supply. So is it really worth forking out between £3 grand and 4 for a deck which will probably have to be serviced in a few years anyway.

The price of record decks is increasing all the time, and we all like to relive our memories of what vinyl used to sound like compared to the hard and artificial sound of the compact disc.

But these high end decks are just overpriced in my own opinion.
          What do you think of the high end decks like the Roksan Xerxes 10,20, Linn Condek LP12 and the Pink Triangle turntables.

Go let me hear what you guys have to say and if you are the very lucky few who actually own one of these record decks?

Thanks
          Jazz
          Last edited by Yasvanth; 01 March 2007, 07:44 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

I started back into vinyl about 6 months ago with a Michell Technodec, a modified Rega 250 arm Grado Platinum Refrence Sonata cartridge and Cambridge Audio Azur phono preamp. I have'nt been pruchasing much new vinyl but hunting out older used discs at places like "Goodwill" and Salvation Army.

I consider vinyl just another medium, not any better or worse than any other. I think that going vinyl is expensive, the cost of my cartridge alone could have covered a decent CDP.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
              Hi all record lovers,

Linn Condek LP12
              Hi Yasvanth,

Condek? A typo or are you referencing something else?!

V.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                Hi all record lovers,

I just read the review of the new Roksan Xerxes 20 and like it. But I think it is just not worth the price that they are asking. Can you believe it, the turntable alone cost £1750 then on top of that you have to buy a tonearm , cartridge and the power supply. So is it really worth forking out between £3 grand and 4 for a deck which will probably have to be serviced in a few years anyway.

The price of record decks is increasing all the time, and we all like to relive our memories of what vinyl used to sound like compared to the hard and artificial sound of the compact disc.

But these high end decks are just overpriced in my own opinion.
                What do you think of the high end decks like the Roksan Xerxes 10,20, Linn Condek LP12 and the Pink Triangle turntables.

Go let me hear what you guys have to say and if you are the very lucky few who actually own one of these record decks?

Thanks
                Jazz
                HI,
                Is not "overpriced" a personal judgment call? It all depends on your values. Over the years I have consistently payed more money for each turntable wondering if I was wasting my money. And each time I got better sound. Same thing with cartridges and tone arms.

The conclusion I have come to is this. You get what you pay for. Obviously, most of us have limits mostly based upon what we can afford. But, no one has ever claimed this is an inexpensive hobby. The beauty of it is we can participate at any level that gives comfort.

Such as it is and as such it will remain. No one is forcing you to pay more than you can justify. But make no mistake about the issue. Generally, the more you pay the better your sound will be. It's a cosmic law.

Sparky

Comment

• Jorgitox
                  • Feb 2007

Here my gear:

REGA PLANAR 3 + RB 300 + DENON DL-301... A never die combo.
                  Best regards,

Jorgitox.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                    • Jun 2006

Hi

Lot of people think that the more you pay the better the sound quality, well that's not always the case. What I'm trying to say is that, is the Roksan Xerxes 20 really worth paying £1750 or are you just paying for overhyped prices for a deck that may just sound as good as £750 deck?

Then there is the case of reliability problems, are you really getting your monies worth.

Thanks
                    Jazz

Comment

• vatulele
                      • Dec 2006

What reliability problems !

Turntables virtually run forever, thousands of hours of use from my LP12 and she still purrrrrs like a prize winning Siamese. Ive had 3 CD spinners, several track sticking & jumping repares / laser replacements / tray faults. Apart from voluntary tweaks and upgrades ive done nothing to my LP12 but change her oil and belt. I must admit I havnt checked with a strobe, but I would be very surprised if she isnt running pretty damn spot on and she still bounces like the day I first plugged her in.

I can help but notice my attachment of female labels, you dont tend to do that with CD players, I,m sure theres something to be gleaned from that.

Other than the fact I'm partial to women of course !

Comment

• Yasvanth
                        • Jun 2006

Hi

Well taking into consideration that the Linn Sondek LP12 has to be serviced annually to sound it's best otherwise it will go out of tune just like that. But I'm amazed that your record deck is still purring like a kitten. How long have you owned your Linn Sondek for?
                        Have heard a Roksan Xerxes 10 or maybe even the 20 or even the Michell Gyrodec?

Regards
                        Yas

Comment

• vatulele
                          • Dec 2006

I cant remmber exactly when I got it, but late 80s. I have only had it serviced a few times, after being told it needed very little adjustment and not being able to tell any difference when it came back I sort of gave up on that game.

I guess it must be long overdue, but Ive just put in a new cartridge so I am enjoying the benefits of that at the moment. Maybe I will get it looked at in a few months time. But I think I'm lucky and have a good model that doesnt need the springs messed with all the time. U can bounce it by the spindle while its playing with no effect apart from on my nerves !

I could probably benefit from some help from people with a lot more insight into the workings of an LP12 on signs I should be looking for that all is not well.Any advice from the experts please ? Apart from buy a different vinyl spinner !

Comment

• vatulele
                            • Dec 2006

I forgot to mention I demoed the LP12 against a Xerxes when I first bought and from what I remember it was more a difference in style of presentation than anything that made me go for the LP12. Ive never heard a Michell, I would love to and after all ive read over the years I think I would possibly buy an ORBE without even listening to it first....... If it only cost a couple of hundred quid !

I can imagine I would still want my Kitten tho, I am guessing but I would think there would still be some music I would prefer to hear on my LP12. Hopefully one day I will find out.

Comment

• draganm
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by vatulele
                              I cant remmber exactly when I got it, but late 80s. I have only had it serviced a few times, after being told it needed very little adjustment and not being able to tell any difference when it came back I sort of gave up on that game.
                              Exactyl, my 1998 sondeck has never been to a dealer for that reason, it's all a big sham.The exception here would be a really old deck with worn out suspension springs and sagging platter.
                              Mostly, it's just a way for dealers to keep making $ on a deck. People say the same thing about CRT projectros, " you need to have them re-calibrated every 6 months" , total BS :roll:
                              I have stopped spending money on the gear and started buying more vinyl. I thought the new records were expensive until I checked flea-bay the other day. I can not believe the prices on used records. Never mind an original, still sealed 60's rock or Soul Album which goes for $500. :E Scroll down this page to the Purple high-lighted listings for a shock
                              Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

The new records i'm buying are just amazing though, anything mastered by Steve hoffman or Stan Ricker is just jaw dropping . I have bought a few from this place and they were worth evey penny of their $30. price.

Comment

• twitch54
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                I started back into vinyl about 6 months ago. I consider vinyl just another medium, not any better or worse than any other. I think that going vinyl is expensive, the cost of my cartridge alone could have covered a decent CDP.

Jerry, You make a good point, for most of us that are serious about vinyl are of the 'older' set and have amassed sizeable record collections. As you know I've preached over on the M/L forum, for someone to get into viynl just to say "I'm part of the klan' makes little sense. But for myself having been around it for well over forty years and also survived those god-awfull early years of CD, I'm happy for the analog resurection !!

I agree with Sparky, in that the upgrades I've made in my analog components have yielded sonic improvements to match.

One good thing though, for someone thinking about re-entering or just getting started, there is alot of affordably priced gear available in todays market.
                                Last edited by twitch54; 01 March 2007, 21:08 Thursday.
                                Dave

Comment

• draganm
                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
                                  One good thing though, for someone thinking about thinking about re-entering or just getting started, there is alot of affordably priced gear available in todays market.
                                  absolutely, I forgot to mention that a very nice MMF5 turntable with good Goldring cartridge can be had on Audiogon for $575.00. Add a $200. phono-pre to that and you will be wondering how to stuff your old CD's in the glovebox of your car. :lol:

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                    • Jun 2006

Hi all Record lovers,

Does anybody own or has got the chance to listen to the Roksan Xerxes 10 or even the new Roksan Xerxes 20 which is just far too expensive for me?

Have you guys ever compared a Roksan Xerxes to a Linn Sondek LP12, and what do you think?

Cheers
                                    Yas

Comment

• vatulele
                                      • Dec 2006

hi again Yas

I think you will probably have to take the e-bay or hifi for sale.co plunge and buy yourself a Xerses and an LP12 and then flog the one you dont want. Its what i,m just doing with phono stages. Thats the joy of using second hand gear, provided you buy equipment with a good reputation/ history and dont chase the prices so you over-pay, then there is no reason why you cant try out a Xerses, LP12 and Gyrodeck. As long as u dont fall in love with all 3, then ure stuffed !

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"