X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Here are some images of the Version 1 Signature midrange with the rosewood cabinets from Paradigm's site...

Ok, I got the bug bad now... new toys! :lol:
    ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

I wanna see the piano black.
      Greg

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

HAHAHA! Looks at this guy's room!
        Here are your Piano-Black Signatures. Yup, bet those breath well... :rofl:

~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

That's way too close to the wall! but I love the look of the speakers.
          Greg

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Yep, those are nice!
            Danish

Comment

• Nick M
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I'm having second thoughts on these Rosewood S4's. Just spoke with the manager. Apaprently they have a scratch on the side "as yet to be determined for severity". I'm heading down to look at them tomorrow.

MSRP for these are $3200. They're offering me $2400 (25% off) with a possible $100-$200 off that for the cabinet scratch depending on how bad it is (they have to examine it further). I got 20% off my Rotel Amp from them last year (a new amp), so just 5% extra off for a used scratched product that is about to be replaced with a new model seems a bit out of touch. But used S4's are practically impossible to find. Haven't seen a single pair in four months on Audiogon/Videogon/Fleabay. This doesn't include the stands, which they want $200 for (used) or $240 (new).

I figure a new pair of Version 2's in cherry will be $3550 with stands. That means a cost of $3000 (15% off) to $2840 for brand new gear in box compared to $2600 for used stuff. I dunno, but my alphabets aren't spelling "Leap". I'm going to push for a much larger reduction in price, if I don't get something that bowls me over I'm going to continue to wait. $2600 for used S4's with stands is kinda steep. I can get a pair of used S8's online with shipping for around $3500 in cherry. They want $5500 for their pair of used S8's in a premium finish.

I really want a pair of Version 1 S4's, but I'm not going to get porked either. :roll:
              ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Nicholas,

Those prices are close, I would want to wait for the V2 to come out.
                Two things can happen if you wait:
                1. you like the sound of the V2 and go for it.
                2. You don't like the V2, but others will, and then you'll see
                V1's showing up, that you can buy for a song
                Greg

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm going to check these Rosewood units out tomorrow. If he doesn't offer me something stunning for a price I'm going to hold off.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Did you go???
                    Greg

Comment

• Nick M
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Hehehe...

Well, I checked out the Rosewoods, and they did have some damage. The grill was cracked (not a big deal, they had a matching grill, and promised a new set if I bought them). The actual bottoms of the speakers had some scratches from some moron trying to mount them to the stands. The premier stands were designed for these. The base of the S4's have threaded inserts that allow you to actually bolt them to the stands. But none of that was visible once it was mounted to the stand. One also had three minor scratches on one side. More like small scuffs about the size of a pea.

His previous offer was 25% off MSRP. After listening to them for about an hour, he offered me 30% off. I told him 35% and 40% off a used set of stands, and he said ok after doing some calculator work. So I got'em! I also snagged a new Rotel RB-1080 200Wx2 amp to power them. I get 20% off new Rotel stuff normally, so that was $800. These speakers are truely amazing. I've just about gone through all the "fun money" with these purchases, so I'll have to wait on the Rotel RCD-1072 CD player. I'm using a generic $50 optical unit. Believe it or not, I'm probably getting 90-95% of what I demo'd early today. Just re-affirms my theory that speakers are number one, followed by enough power to drive them. Eventully I plan to have Lex (CAT Cables) build me some custom length jobbers. I want real short runs (less than a foot) for my interconnects so I won't have crap hanging everywhere. I have some decent interconnects left over from my home theater, but they are almost 4' long... too much.

Anyhoo, I'm listening to some Billy Joel and Ray Charles right now. Un-friggen-believeable how realistic those pianos and voices hang in the air between the speakers, and how "realistic" they sound. I only have the speakers about a food out from the wall right now, and it still sounds great.

Here are some quick shots...

The build quality is superb. I especially like the CNC'd die-cast driver/motor frames. On another intersting note, the Rosewood finish has been eliminated on the upcoming Version 2's. I've heard that it's due to difficulty sourcing the wood.

Anyhoo, have to work tonight and I haven't slept yet - having too much fun with the new setup! :T

EDIT: By the way, thats just a camera illusion on the first pic. The speakers are actually level... :lol:
                      Last edited by Nick M; 18 October 2006, 09:13 Wednesday.
                      ~Nick

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Woohoo! New speakers!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
                        Danish

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Good show man! thanks for the pics. Bu sure to fill the stands with sand it will get even better.
                          Greg

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Those look beautiful, Nick!
                            I'm looking forward to your thoughts on how you like a superb 2 ch sys vs. your old HT set-up.

Too bad you got to go work! Like being ten years old and having to go to Aunt Molly's 1/2 hour after opening your presents on Xmas morning.
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
                              Woohoo! New speakers!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
                              I concur! :yesnod: :T
                              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

YES, Nick! I love the wood on those! :banana:
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Nick M
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

A couple more shots of the Signature 4's I snapped for another thread. Figured I'd post 'em in here too.

~Nick

Comment

• GregLett
                                    • May 2005

My dealer said that the new Sig's were pushed out until February.
                                    Well anyway while I was there I listened to some demo Martin Logans
                                    he had setup. Those speakers were there for years but I never listened
                                    to them. I listened to them and the S4, I chose the ML's.
                                    Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                                      • May 2005

Just heard the S6.. Very impressive. Very Smooth Vocals, great detail but not bright. They only had 10 hours on them, so I'll stop by next week and have another listen.
                                      Greg

Comment

• mike_l
                                        • Jan 2007

Hi Greg,

That's great news. I heard they were shipping, however, none of my local dealers have them in stock. You are the first person (that I have read) who has made a post who has heard them. How does the S6 v2 compare to the S8 v1? How is the build quality? Does your dealer have other models, S8, S4, S2? Thanks

Comment

• Joey_V
                                          • Jul 2005

Cant wait to hear the new Sigs....

Heard all the old Sigs and they were good too... detailed and clear is a way to put it. Oh... and BEAUTIFUL!
                                          Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                          Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                          System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• GregLett
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by mike_l
                                            Hi Greg,

That's great news. I heard they were shipping, however, none of my local dealers have them in stock. You are the first person (that I have read) who has made a post who has heard them. How does the S6 v2 compare to the S8 v1? How is the build quality? Does your dealer have other models, S8, S4, S2? Thanks
                                            Mike,

I did not get the opportunity to audition the S8's the dealers in the NY area didn't want to carry them..to expensive. I did find one place that had them, but the dealer was an A..hole, didn't want to turn on the setup.

The build quality is excellent as usual. My dealer has the S4 and the S6 and I think he still has a V1 S2. He also has the V4 Studio 60 and 100.

From what I've heard so far from the S6 V2 is that it is smoother the the V1 ion the top end.
                                            Greg

Comment

• mike_l
                                              • Jan 2007

Thanks Greg. A couple more questions.

I'm trying to get a sense of how different v1 is from v2. Would you say it would be worth upgrading to the Sig v2's if you owned version 1?

When you say smoother, I hope it is not at the expense of clarity.

Can you compare the S6 v2 sound to S8 v1?

Would you say the Sig v2 cabinet finish is identical to the v1?

What finish are the S6's at your dealer. I am interested in cherry.

Do you know the height x width x depth and weight (S6 v2)?

Almost forgot a minor question; what is the price (S6 v2)?

Thanks again,

Mike

Comment

• GregLett
                                                • May 2005

Thanks Greg. A couple more questions.

I'm trying to get a sense of how different v1 is from v2. Would you say it would be worth upgrading to the Sig v2's if you owned version 1?

When you say smoother, I hope it is not at the expense of clarity.

Can you compare the S6 v2 sound to S8 v1?

Would you say the Sig v2 cabinet finish is identical to the v1?

What finish are the S6's at your dealer. I am interested in cherry.

Do you know the height x width x depth and weight (S6 v2)?

Almost forgot a minor question; what is the price (S6 v2)?

Thanks again,

Mike

I would upgrade from the V1 to the V2, but that's me
                                                The cabinet is similar,but the drivers are different.
                                                In a sense it's a completely new speaker.
                                                The smoothness is not at the expense of clarity at all.
                                                As my dealer said "It's like turning up the treble without
                                                turning up the treble"
                                                I think the finish was cherry,the retail at $4,400

Are you on LI? If you are you should drop by the store
                                                for a no hassle audition.
                                                Greg

Comment

• mike_l
                                                  • Jan 2007

I live in the Chicago area and no dealers have the v2's in stock (yet). I have been told they are waiting until their Sig v1 stock is sold.

Some good news - the Paradigm web site has been undated

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                    • Jul 2005

I live in the Chicago area and no dealers have the v2's in stock (yet). I have been told they are waiting until their Sig v1 stock is sold.

Some good news - the Paradigm web site has been undated
                                                    Try to get ahold of Sound Performance on Ogden Ave, in Hindsdale area...
                                                    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• mike_l
                                                      • Jan 2007

Will do. Thanks Joey. Do you know what Paradigms are currently in stock? I will call them tomorrow.

Comment

• GregLett
                                                        • May 2005

Cant believe they left the S6 off the new site :scratchhead:
                                                        Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by GregLett
                                                          Cant believe they left the S6 off the new site :scratchhead:
                                                          That's still the old series listed, the new line up will be there next week they say.
                                                          Greg

Comment

• mike_l
                                                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Joey_V
                                                            Try to get ahold of Sound Performance on Ogden Ave, in Hindsdale area...
                                                            Hi Joey,

I checked for Sound Performance and there is no such listing in Hinsdale.

Comment

• mike_l
                                                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by GregLett
                                                              That's still the old series listed, the new line up will be there next week they say.

I saw that as well Greg. I hope your right, I'm looking forward to reading the specs ASAP.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                • Jul 2005

Hi Joey,

I checked for Sound Performance and there is no such listing in Hinsdale.
                                                                I'll find it for you...

Comment

• cuda65
                                                                  • Feb 2005

Are you refering to Audio Consultants on Ogden in Hinsdale? If so they don't have Paradigm. Sounds Deluxe on Ogden in Clarendon Hills carries Paradigm. They also have a store in Naperville and Orland Park. I bought my Paradigms up in Hoffman Estates. I am not sure if they have the V2 in stock. Haven't been to their store in awhile.
                                                                  Doug

Comment

• mike_l
                                                                    • Jan 2007

I don't believe Audio Consultants carrys Paradigm.

The only Paradigm dealer I am aware of on Ogden is:

SOUNDS DELUXE
                                                                    433 W. OGDEN AVE.
                                                                    CLARENDON HILLS, IL

I have been to their Orland Park store:

SOUNDS DELUXE
                                                                    14474 LAGRANGE RD.
                                                                    ORLAND PARK, IL

Nice store, I recommend you visit. During my visit they had the Studio 100 v 4's and Sig S8 v1.

There is a Paradigm dealer on Higgins (north side) just east of Barrington Rd. I don't recall the name of the store. It's not very nice. No listening room, speakers are crammed together. They had the Studio 100 v4 and 60 v4. They don't carry the Sigs.

There are other Paradigm dealers in the area as well.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

Mike_L...

Yeah, it's Sound Deluxe, my fault that I thought it was Sound Performance. I was there about 3 months ago and they told me they were among the first to get the V2 sigs....

Nice store... nice guys and very much into custom installs. They have Paradigms, Monitors, Joseph Audio, and a bunch of other items. They power the Sigs with Anthems... but I would suggest you bring whatever you wish to power them along with you for the audition seeing as upstreams always affect the final sound you're getting from said speakers.

Once again, sorry about the mistake...

Joey

Comment

• mike_l
                                                                        • Jan 2007

Don’t be silly Joey. Not a problem. I appreciate your taking the time to give input. My only concern is waiting for the product. I’m sure it will be here soon. My interest will be either the S6 or S8’s, plus front and surrounds.

A general question:

I was considering purchasing the Anthem AVM 50 or D2 but have been having second thoughts. Technology seems to be moving so fast that I was wondering if I would be better off purchasing a receiver (Marantz, Denon, Yamaha) from a large company that would be used as a pre pro. I’m aware many people are saying that 1.3 HDMI isn’t absolutely necessary, but I am willing to wait for the new product since I will be purchasing between now and the next couple months. My preference is to get the most up to date technology. Which would you choose and why?

I will be purchasing a new amp (such as Parasound or Rotel) with a minimum 200 wpc. Amp recommendations would be appreciated. The sub will be a JL Audio Fathom f112 or f113.

Thanks

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

mike, you've probably done this already, but stop by the dedicated clubs for both of those manufacturers here in the Guide, do research, and ask questions! Great sources for those companies.
                                                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2005
                                                                            • 436

Don’t be silly Joey. Not a problem. I appreciate your taking the time to give input. My only concern is waiting for the product. I’m sure it will be here soon. My interest will be either the S6 or S8’s, plus front and surrounds.

I will be purchasing a new amp (such as Parasound or Rotel) with a minimum 200 wpc. Amp recommendations would be appreciated. The sub will be a JL Audio Fathom f112 or f113.

Thanks
                                                                            Good luck with your system. Try to get the RB1090 at any cost, if you're going with Rotel. It's a beast of an amp, good solid power throughout its range.

And, yes, the Fathom will be killer.

Joey

Comment

• mike_l
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2007
                                                                              • 30

#83
                                                                              Thanks Chris. I have been to the clubs for a bit and everyone has been really helpful. Good recommendation. I have auditioned the Rotel 1095 and it seemed like it will do the job for the Paradigms. I've also read good reviews about the Parasound Halo A51, but I haven't found a dealer who carries it (yet). The Anthem P5 sounded great and had power to burn (300wpc).

I guess the question that always comes to me is how far do you go? When is the added expense worth it?

For example:

Rotel 1095 - $2,000
                                                                              Anthem P5 - $5,000

AV Receiver with new features/HDMI 1.3 - $3,000 (I'm guessing of course)
                                                                              Anthem D2 - $6,700

Is the power and quality of the P5 worth the added cost over the Rotel?
                                                                              Is the D2 worth the money as compared to the quality/features of a new high end receiver? I realize the receiver / D2 comparison question is a bit unfair since the new receivers haven't been released and I am not referencing a specific manufacturer/model.

In general, this is what I am struggling with. I am fortunate in that I can purchase the P5 and D2 if I choose, but the question is, is the incremental increase in price worth it? I know, I know, go listen. At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to. I'm just wondering if others are going through the same process.

Comment

• cuda65
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2005
                                                                                • 734

#84
                                                                                Any reason you aren't looking at the Anthem MCA 50? Not enough power?
                                                                                Doug

Comment

• mike_l
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2007
                                                                                  • 30

#85
                                                                                  cuda - yes

Comment

• jusdrink
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2007
                                                                                    • 16

#86
                                                                                    maybe somebody can help me. i have a pair of paradigm studio 100v4 and a cc590 on the way powered by a anthem mca30. is this enough power for my fronts? is there another 2 channel amp that is better that i can actually hear the difference i care about 2 channel stereo more than ht. i was looking at a bryston 4bsst but im not sure that its worth it, ithink im paying mainly for a 20 years warranty that they pack in on the price.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 5673

#87
                                                                                      My best friend has a 20 yo original 4B, and it is just incredibly capable and transparent.
                                                                                      Stereophile mag lists the SST as one of the best values in 2 ch amps, comparable to others at 2x and more the cost.

4B SST's are always on Adiogon, and with the x-ferable warrante, I would consider a used unit one of the best deals around.

JMHO
                                                                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jusdrink
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2007
                                                                                        • 16

#88
                                                                                        thanks wkhanna for your input n help

Comment

• GregLett
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                                          • 753

#89
                                                                                          New Sigs on site

Canadian manufacturer of premium high-performance loudspeakers for music and home theater, Crafted in Canada.
                                                                                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"