X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Where do you buy music?

The quality of pre-recorded music is pretty important to me. I like the convenience of "down loadable" files but I don't purchase them, for quality reasons. Instead I rip my own CDs. This gives me total control over the level of quality and the amount of space needed to store the ripped files.

However, the quality of MP3's, and the like, are dependent on the quality of the source. This led me to wonder just how good are our CDs? Does the quality vary from place to place? There has been some discussion that where the CDs are pressed and the quality of the masters used can have an impact on sound.

I also wondered why prices vary as much as they do, substantially in some cases. How is it that some places can sell the same CD (new) for much less than others? Could it be because shortcuts were taken in the manufacturing process, or could it be we are allowing ourselves to be taken advantage of? For instance, how is it that Club CDs cost less than Retail CDs? Is it because of less overhead or less quality?
    Retail Outlets (Brick and Morter, Online)
    56.00%
    Music Clubs (Mail Order, Online)
    16.00%
    Download (iTunes, Napster)
    28.00%

The poll is expired.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

Good question. I tend to buy cd's from retail stores but I find buying cd's very frustrating lately mainly because 1 in 5 actually sounds like it was recorded well. I am noticing this more with my improved stereo system.
    It is getting to the point that I am seriously considering buying a decent turntable and getting back into vinyl. The few stores in my area that carry vinyl exclusively will let you hear the album before you purchase it. That at least takes some of the guess work out of buying new music. That and no compression rates to worry about.
    It's sad really, because when you do buy a well recorded cd it is a real pleasure to sit down and listen to.

Comment

• StefanColson
      • Jun 2005

Think about it logically for a minute: The only way two CD's (pressed from the same master) could possibly sound different is if there are errors in one of them. This is digital, so there is no subjective quality difference possible, the 1's and 0's either get copied correctly or they don't. I assume data CD's get pressed in much the same way as audio. If there are too many errors (ANY errors even) on a data disc containing computer software, the software won't work properly. How many times have you had a defective software disc? This leads me to believe that the error rates when pressing discs are pretty low.

Cutting manufacturing costs might reduce the reliability and durability of a CD, but sound quality will be completely unaffected unless there are errors in the copy. The string of 1's and 0's get's copied correctly, or it doesn't. If the ARE errors in the coping process, it won't sound like reduced high end, or increased muddiness, it will sound like little clicks and pops, or audio glitches everytime there is an error. In order for a bad copy to induce reduced high end (used as an example), somehow only the bits relating to higher frequency would be affected. Seeing as these bits are indistunguishable from any other bits on the CD to a copy device (only a D/A converter is going to know what the bits actually are) that would have to be the biggest coincidence in the world.

Comment

• StefanColson
        • Jun 2005

Oh, I purchase my music from retail stores (local brick and mortar stores, and amazon.com, etc). I like being able to rip my own audio files from CD and having complete control over my audio collection (plus being able to choose the quality as was already mentioned). I also sometimes download from iTunes when I just want the song on short notice, or when I know I won't be critically listening. For example, aften having it stuck in my head for days, I gave in and downloaded "My Sharona" from iTunes. Quality was good enough for me to get a quick fix of the catchiest, most annoying song ever written. The hook in that tune is so powerful!

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

Cd's in the Boston, MA area are always much cheaper at the B&M store called Newbury Comics. Whether it be new or used, their price almost always beats Virgin or HMV or Best Buy by quite a bit.

However, for audiophile hi rez type discs, onlyine retailers such as Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc are the only real options to consider.

I have three Ipods in my house and I have never purchased a downloaded AAC song. The .99 a song or $9.99 + higher for an entire disc business model just does not work for me. Patience is a virtue and I want to own the hard physical piece of music disc. It will always sound better than the ripped mp3 and generally it is cheaper (unless you free-download).
          Stan

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Primarily B&M for me, although if I have trouble locating music that is important to me I'll hop onto the 'Net and purchase the CD or vinyl that way. At most that's about 5% of my albums. No downloading for me. Like Stan and Stefan, I'll buy it and then rip it myself.

Ken, you'll love vinyl - especially if you can get past the extra effort needed to keep the sound "clean". :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by gostan
              The .99 a song or $9.99 + higher for an entire disc business model just does not work for me. Patience is a virtue and I want to own the hard physical piece of music disc.
              Yes, I think so too, you pay 10 bucks and only have the mp3s, no artwork and somethink physicall to own? I can find a brand new cd with everything for that price and sometimes less. Plus, for all of us here who have some expensive stereo systems, CDs work much better. Of course, some of them sound excellent and some don't. I also connect my Ipod to my Rotel RC-1070 to play it through my system, but the sound is not the same. I have to admit though, that I have purchased many mp3s, but much cheaper from some russian/ukrainian sites. Besides, if I have really liked the album on mp3, I have ended up buying the CD anyway. mp3 are for me mostly to sample some new band, or to have some albums I don't consider worth spending my money on CD. I love to have the CD with all the artwork, info, lyrics, etc... my CD collection is grown to 350 now!! Besides, you may call me stupid, but I really believe in supporting the artist with purchasing their work!

I buy CDs online almost 99% of time, great prices and I can find everything I want, unlike in retail brick and mortar stores. This is indeed an issue in Metal, since you don't find as many titles in Bestbuy, etc..

I use Amazon of course, but a little expensive. Other excellent stores with great inventory and costumer service I often purchase from are SentinelSteel.com and TheEndRecords.com.. they ship my purchase to me often same day. I also purchase from CenturyMedia.com and ebay.com.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Another vote for the local store.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

99.9% local B&M too A&B Sound keeps the prices pretty low out here on the left coast of Canada :T I'm still lost on how you guys manage to pay more in the US for most CD's at B&M's than we do here in Canada :scratchhead:
                  Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by StefanColson
                    Think about it logically for a minute: The only way two CD's (pressed from the same master) could possibly sound different is if there are errors in one of them. This is digital, so there is no subjective quality difference possible, the 1's and 0's either get copied correctly or they don't. ...This leads me to believe that the error rates when pressing discs are pretty low.

Cutting manufacturing costs might reduce the reliability and durability of a CD, but sound quality will be completely unaffected unless there are errors in the copy. The string of 1's and 0's get's copied correctly, or it doesn't. If the ARE errors in the coping process, it won't sound like reduced high end, or increased muddiness, it will sound like little clicks and pops, or audio glitches everytime there is an error.
                    I have heard from a number of people commenting on the quality (lack there of?) of some CDs as a result of who manufactured them and the equipment they used. If you have ever shopped at CDnow.com you will find new prices, used prices and "club" prices. Often times the club versions of discs are not manufactured by the lable, but rather the club. For instance, Sony versus BMG Direct. I understand they (the Clubs) may take shorcuts in the transfer process, such as buring discs at say 2x or 4x speed. Futhermore, the masters they used maybe of an older or lesser quality. Does this not concern you or anyone else for that matter? Has anyone noticed quality differences between lable discs and club discs?

I like the idea of saving a few dollars on CDs but not if it is at the expense of reduced quality.

Comment

• StefanColson
                      • Jun 2005

Have you ever heard a digital audio file with errors on it, or a digital signal fed to a device with too long of a cable run? It doesn't degrade the subjective sound quality like it would with analog, it makes it sound wrong. Flat out wrong. If they're making discs from the same master then it can only be correct or incorrect. If the audio quality isn't up to par on the club discs, then they must have been made from a different master recording. Maybe they press discs with the final mix, but without sending the tracks off for mastering. Maybe it's a different mix. I don't know what the difference might be, but a subjective difference in quality couldn't possibly come from the pressing process.

Comment

• StefanColson
                        • Jun 2005

I'm not trying to say that the club CDs can't sound different than the retail releases, I'm only saying that it must be because of another factor, not the duplication itself. If you've noticed, club CDs also often come with different, inferior, or no liner notes, and often come in inferior packaging. That alone is enough for me to steer clear of CD clubs.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          I understand they (the Clubs) may take shorcuts in the transfer process, such as buring discs at say 2x or 4x speed.
                          Not disputing anything else you said but manufacturer's "press" discs they don't "burn" them. Totally different processes
                          Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by aud19
                            Not disputing anything else you said but manufacturer's "press" discs they don't "burn" them. Totally different processes
                            Good point. However, I have seen some references made that some manufacturers burn CDs. Who knows if this is really true or not?

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
                              Good point. However, I have seen some references made that some manufacturers burn CDs. Who knows if this is really true or not?
                              Should be able to tell if the CD has the tell tale "coloured ring" or not. Pressed CD's will be your standard silvery colour
                              Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Ahhhh, that's good to know. I'd never put that together. Thanks Jason. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• DifferentLee
                                  • Apr 2005

I like Tower Records and Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds since I buy mostly SACDs. I use iTunes for convenience and casual pop/rock listening.

I'm at both ends of the quality spectrum.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"