X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

Encapsulated (potted) Toroidial Transformers

Do encapsulated (potted) toroidial transformers perform better then non encapsulated (potted) toroidial toroidial transformers? I've heard that potted transformers are quieter and less subject to humm/buzz.

It also seems that potted transformers are a more standard feature on higher end amplifiers. Although I have seen a Krell with a non potted transformer.

So.... What's the deal?
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Mitch, I only just saw your post today. Toroids that have just the center filled in with potting material are also technically called "potted." This center potting may help reduce some noise and provide a solid mounting means. Toroids that are totally encapsulated should in theory be quieter than ones that are not, however, you can find exceptions that are very quiet (like the Equi=Tech Q type transformers for example). It all depends on how well the transformer is designed and wound. One other thing, don't be fooled into thinking that every toroid you see with the pretty cover is encapsulated. You may simply be looking at a center-potted transformer in a metal can.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"