X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saurabh
    • Feb 2005

See Speaker Spec - which would you go for

What is the difference between 1" conical dome tweeter, 3" mid range woofer and 3" full range woofer, 1 piezo if these are defined by a speaker vendor in a speaker, what do they mean,which one is better ???
    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Saurabh, they are each a type of driver that is in a speaker. The 1" conical dome tweeter is the driver that plays the high notes, the 3" mid-range plays the middle range and the 3" full-range woofer (3" woofer?????) plays the lower notes. All of these are generally a round cone (conical dome) that is pushed forward and backward by a magnet attached to the base of the cone.

Notice my question marks by the 3" woofer comment? Generally the deeper the note, the larger the driver in order to move more air efficiently. A true sub-woofer will have a driver (or multiple drivers) ranging from 10" up to 18". A full-range tower speaker can have a range of driver sizes based on its designer's preference. For instance, my Aerials have a 1" dome tweeter, a 5" midrange and two 7.1" cones acting in concert to produce the lower registers.

A piezo-electric driver is one that is fundamentally different from the standard magnetically driven cone that you see in most speaker construction. Sorry, but I'm not the one to explain the design of one of these. It may be a flat panel that is moved forward and backward by an electrical charge, but I wouldn't bet any money on that.

As to which is better? Unfortunately that's an impossible question to answer with authority. Again, it will depend on the way the speaker is designed and built, the equipment it's connected to, and the room it sits in. That's why there is so much energy generated around our little hobby! :yesnod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

David,
      The 3" Woofer is no joke. Based on the previous posts, I would assume this is part of a HTIB type setup. One is definitely not better but David's post explains alot. Most manufacturers use a 5 1/4 or even a 6 1/2" driver coupled with a 1" or 3/4" dome tweeter(aluminum, fabric, silk, etc..) Even the lowest end speakers from say Paradigm which are a paltry $200 a pair use a 5 1/4. This is partly why I'd avoid going with one that is like that and just buying 2 good speakers and a decent receiver and building from there.

Given the 3" woofer I would expect not too much bass at all out of them. But then again I think Bose used a similar sized woofer in some of their models. Then again Bose is the butt of many jokes.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I know they are real, but it never ceases to amaze me that people have the audacity to call them woofers.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Is there such a think as mid-base?
          Is there a difference between just a "woofer" and a "Sub-woofer

Reading the Specs on many THIB systems the 3" was mostly refered to as "full range drivers". :T
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"