Marantz CD5400 - Misfit in American Market?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Marantz CD5400 - Misfit in American Market?

I'm asked from time to time if I have any suggestions with regards to less expensive playback sources for digital music- usually along the lines of what cheap DVD player sounds fairly decent, or if there's a low buck universal player I would recommend. Hardly anyone ever asks what's a good inexpensive CD player, and if you go to the mass market emporiums, you can't even find CD players these days- a rather discouraging state of affairs for an old luddite and music lover like myself. Low buck DVD players for music generally make me ill- don't even get me started about things like the Toshiba craze on Audio Asylum last year.

Fortunately the rest of the world doesn't seem to be as narrowly focused on video capable disk players as we are, and companies cater to the Europeans, for example, with a fairly wide range of CD player offerings. More's the pity that relatively few are available on this side of the pond.

OTOH, the Marantz CD5400 is one of those few CD only players that have made it over to our shores in small quantities, albeit you have to look around a bit to find a bloke that carries it- forget the mass market merchants. Marantz has built an interesting reputation of late in Europe with products like the CD5400 and PM7200 integrated amplifier as being willing to build modest price products for which sound quality is actually a primary consideration (the PM7200 is a 95 watt/channel @ 8 ohms, 150 watts/ch @ 4 ohms integrated amplifer, discrete power amplifiers running in class A for the first 25 watts).

My daughter's Onkyo CD player finally died, so we decided to do a little looking around, see what we could dig up, and how it might stack up against the typical $100 Sony DVD player, for example. Besides, it might make a good bedroom player or transport for a Benchmark DAC1, who knows?

It showed up today, from Music Direct, a few days earlier than I expected- hadn't even gotten the tracking numbers yet. It's got pretty decent specs, uses a CS4392 24/192 DAC with a nice oversampling filter; it DOES have a linear power supply with analog regulators; non of the SMPS stuff found in the low buck DVD players. The front panel looks like a heavy aluminum one, but it's actually a thin layer over plastic; still, the controls are fast and responsive, much nicer than the $100 Sony DVD player I picked up from CostCo over the holidays (don't ask, don't tell). It IS only a $329 list player, so one can't expect miracles, but it's really fairly decent; even has a nice quality headphone output jack with a volume control.

How's it sound? Hooked it up to a Sony reciever I have, through the M8 Mk2s (Eton 8-800 woofer, Accuton C23-6 tweeters); Haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but with some Emily Remmler and Al Dimeola, it's obviously got a different level of balance and clarity than the Sony DVD player I put it up against. A lot more solid low end, more depth in the midrange and image, better mico and macro dynamics, good seperation of instruments, and cleaner, more crystaline highs. The overall tonal balance is pretty similar to CD playback on my SCD777ES, though probably not as much sound stage depth. Still, after hearing it a bit, I can understand the review in the British magazine "What HiFi" which praised it highly, comparing it to players up to three times the price. Comparing it with a $3500 SACD player IS a bit outlandish, but hey, this little guy's got legs.

I'm going to listen to it a bit more this weekend, perhaps try it as a transport.

Above all else, what I must resist doing is taking the cover off and seeing if there's a chance to have some fun underneath the hood....
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It's certainly a nice looking component Jon. :T I'm glad to see that Marantz still puts some effort into 2-channel, and at $329 with a full-size headphone connection it "sounds" to me like a fine office/cubicle music source. If you have the time, a few comments on that portion (headphones) of its performance would be appreciated.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by David Meek
      It's certainly a nice looking component Jon. :T I'm glad to see that Marantz still puts some effort into 2-channel, and at $329 with a full-size headphone connection it "sounds" to me like a fine office/cubicle music source. If you have the time, a few comments on that portion (headphones) of its performance would be appreciated.
      Wow, that's actually a very good idea- one of these in my lab with my Sony MDR-F1 open air headphones would be pretty cool, compared with screwing around with my discmans. Hmmm, I'll give it a listen and we'll see. Might have to get another one on order.

Marantz has a number of fairly nice two channel components at moderate price, and some at not so moderate price, like the SA-11 two channel SACD player, and the SA8260 SACD multi-channel player (at ~999) which received a Stereophile Class A rating. 'Course, most people forget that Marantz and Denon merged a few years back; OTOH, they still have rather seperate brand identities and products, don't they?
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Jon, good review... I'd second your shout-out for Marantz... for my money, they are one of two Japanese audio mfrs (the other being Rotel) that actually deliver discernible music quality in consumer-level gear.

Looking forward to their top-of-the-line universal player when funds allow.

As far as 'fun underneath the hood' goes, I believe Marantz CD players still serve as the basis for the popular AH! Njoe Tjoeb 'modded' players.

Denon and Marantz did indeed merge, but it's a business arrangement only... at least for now... also in that merged group are B&W speakers... and possibly Classe(?).

I routinely recommend / install Marantz receivers and players for friends and family.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Nice feedback. Have you ever heard or tried out the PM7200 integrated, the one that operates 25 watts class A, AB to 95 watts? I'm thinking bedroom or workout room system...

Hmmm, as to the AH! Njoe Tjoeb, hardly see any resemblance at all... apart from the front panel layout, the display unit, and most of the controls... :B

Must not remove cover.... Must not look at caps and opamps.... must not let my box of Oscons and Nichicon UHE and WIMA Film and foils near.... much less my copper shielding clad ultra thin laminate....
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tktran
            • Jan 2005

On the other hand...

... I think the days of CD-only players are limited. (The US market is headed in the right direction IMHO).

The CD5400 sounds like an interesting unit, and I'd like to see how you could mod it Jon, but the versatility of all-in-one players are just too tempting. Even if you disregard video playback capabilities (eg. stereo only setup) it's nice to be able to play the occasional SACD or DVD-A, or MP3s that might happen to have on hand.

I picked up a Pioneer DV-655A SACD/DVD-A/CD/MP3/NTSC Progressive player from Ebay Australia. Now if I understand this correctly it's the Australian version of the US Pioneer Elite DV-45A (US$700 retail) that can be found on Audiogon for around $300.

In "Australian Hi-Fi" magazine, Jun/Jul 2003, the DV-655A was reviewed as an audio component (4 page subjective review (of which only the 2nd last paragraph looked at basic video functionality) and 2 pages of tabulated measurements, graphs and analysis). It passed the subjective listening tests with flying colours, and measured superbly. On the analog outputs, FR was 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.003dB, THD 0.0003%, noise floor 120dB. In the IMD tests it had "better performance than I have seen from any CD player in the same test". Channel separation was 105dB at 16Hz, 115dB at 1Khz, and 92dB at 20khz, and channel balance was 0.035dB.

On the digital output, "datastream deviation was just 21.8 ppm, and audioband jitter 2.7nS peak to peak"....but then a DAC-1 would take care of of that right? :-)

Unless corners are seriously cut in keeping costs down, I think these all-in-one players have very good CD playback by simple virtue that they have better require better DA converters and opamps for their DVD-A section.

PS.
            Here in Australia we have the whole lineup of European Marantz models. (same AC voltage). I Haven't heard the PM7200 but listened to the older but higher spec PM8000 briefly. Not sure about the PM7200, but I suspect it would be the same as the PM8000 in re. to the classA mode option- it is a toggle switch- you press a button to turn it into classA mode. But 25W is only good for quiet listening or you have very sensitive speakers (90dB/W IMHO). If levels were matched then it would be easier to discern the differences, but IMHO the only thing the switch did was drop SPL levels...
            Last edited by tktran; 20 March 2005, 14:29 Sunday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried a few of the semi-universal players available over here, though not the Pioneer you mention- I guess more Sony's, such as SACD/CD and SACD/DVD/CD combo's - not really been thrilled by them but then that's partsly because I also have some specific requirements for DVD playback. Hard to find one unit that does everything I like, the way I like it- and then if that one unit needs to go in the shop, I'd be totally SOL. Remember, even I call myself a luddite.

That DV655 sounds pretty nice- but then at retail, not used, it's about 2X- but considering the extra funtionality, not unreasonable at all. The jitter is a skosh high, as is typical for DVD players, which usually use a phase lock loop to switch to the different clock frequencies required. That may be a large measure of why I"m not as enthralled with the sound, compared with a unit with a single frequency oscillator. I've downloaded the service manual for the Marantz and some day I'll take a peak and see what the clock is. Then there's bypass caps and signal path caps, and sheilding the LSI's. The trouble with going down that path is that free time is what I have little of; the parts cost would be low, but I'd hate to take the time away from other projects, just for a secondary player. (not really looking at using this for a DAC1 transport, unless I get another DAC1- already have an EXTREMEMLY modified Philips deck I'm using for a transport, with lower jitter than my SCD777ES).

OTOH, I've got an awful lot of accrued vacation at work which they keep telling me I need to start taking, just not NOW while it's so busy... (Now is always today or this month or even next month; can't ever get my manager to say when the right time is, it seems. One of my colleagues is retiring, and will use up some of his accrued vacation by only working two days a week for the next three months.)

The PM8000 seems to be another one of those units that has never made it over here, unfortunately. The speakers this might be used with are about 88 dB efficient (inlcuding baffle step comp) so 25 watts would probably be fine - even if it's only placebo effect.
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Al Garay
                • Jan 2004

Have you tried the Oppo as a transport? How is the jitter compared to the Marantz or your other transports?

By the way, this site has really good prices on Marantz refurbished
                Marantz, Yamaha, KEF, Focal, Polk, Def Tech, Denon, Home Theater, Speakers, Receivers, HDMI

They have a Marantz CD5400 reburbished for $229.99.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I use my Oppo 971 just for HT; of course the SPDIF out goes to my DD processor (Sony, old school), and DVI-D out (at 1080i) goes to a little black box where it's converted to RGBHV for my NEC 9PG+ projector. I have played with the down mix analog out (which is above average, better than, say, a Zenith DVB318- don't know if it's the 24/192 DACs or what), and there's built in DD decoder with 5.1 outputs, though obviously somewhat limited functionality compared with an outboard, but for a $200 player, pretty remarkable.

Still think this unit is one of the best values on the market, especially as the DCDi impelmentation is fairly good, and video source material playback is flawless compared with Liteon, Momitsus', Neuno's, etc.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"