If using digital connects, what is the difference from one cd player to the next?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If using digital connects, what is the difference from one cd player to the next?

Currently I have a panasonic rp-62 which I use for DVD and music. It is hooked to my system, which is a Sherwood/Newcastle P-965, via an optical cable. I am thinking about replacing my rp-62 with the forthcoming sherwood SD-871 (http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_sd871.html).

What I am wondering is, if during audio play I am using the DACs of the pre/pro, would there really be any advantage in audio by using a different player? Obviously this will be good for SACD/Multi-channel, but for example during movies, would I notice any audio difference?

I hear about people saying that the CD player is the weak link in their system from time to time, but I don't necessarily understand this if they are using digital connections to the pre? enlighten me oh great ones!

Im thinking about jumping on this when it is released because next year when HDDVD is out, there will be little to no spending and a lot of saving for a house. That will allow me to see how the standard battle goes anyways...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Neal_C
    • Feb 2003

I would say that most people probably are a little more "purist" when it comes to CD playback and probably use analog connections to the pre/pro, thus using the DAC's in the cd player. This is probably why they say the cd player is the weak link.

If you are using just a digital connection, then audio wise, you won't hear any difference is you would always be using the DAC's in the pre/pro. On DVD's, a newer and better player may provide you better video quality though, but using a digital connection will provide the same audio quality.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

Sikoniko, there will be a difference in audio depending upon the player using
      the digital out. There is a thred in "Home Theater" under "POLL: which determines audio quality". There I gave my experience with an a/b test between my dvd player and my cd using the digital out.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"